“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Milestone Hotel

You added The Milestone Hotel to your Saves list
The Milestone Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Kensington Court | Kensington, London W8 5DL, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #3 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for three nights. The service was fantastic; they went above and beyond helping us in so many ways. The location is perfect. Every village we wanted to visit was close.

~Julie

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very different. Be sure to look at more than one if possible to find the one th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
I was delighted that you and your mother enjoyed your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you liked the service in the hotel as well as the location. I hope that you both return to us on your next trip to London. I have passed on your kind words on to my great team here.
Andrew Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My family stayed at the Milestone for my mother's 80th birthday, it was the perfect choice. The reception staff and doorman were impeccable, curteous and helpful without being overbearing. The rooms were compact, but plenty big enough and the bathrooms were well appointed with a good size bath and excellent shower in one unit.
Make sure you visit the bar while you are there and chat to the excellent staff, I spent a very enjoyable evening talking to the barman and a guest from Boston as we tried to decipher the rules of cricket. The dinner to celebrate my mother's birthday was excellent. The food was superb and the wine list, although it has plenty of wines that cost more than my first car, also contains plenty of good affordable wines. Make sure you include breakfast with your booking, the small additional cost is well worth it; a continental buffet with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries etc AND a full English breakfast is included in the price. The gym is small, but well equipped and last but not least, the location is superb; 5 minutes from High Street Kensington tube station and directly across the road from Hyde Park. If you're looking for country hotel in the heart of London try the Milestone.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read that you all, including your mother, enjoyed her 80th birthday celebrations. I have passed on your kind words to my team here and I do hope that we get the chance to meet your expectations once again in the near futre.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hotel is still one of the nicest I have stayed in and so glad they had their Christmas decorations up as stayed in the Springtime before. Unfortunately some things were a bit disappointing and just felt the attention to detail was missing in some areas. We had completed the preference form prior to arriving so couldn't understand why the fruit platter had only one of the fruits we asked for on it, did we get one meant for someone else? The evening meal was booked fo 7.p.m. on our preference form but the confirmation when it came was booked for 5.30.p.m. My friend had to contact the hotel to point out this error so we then received further confirmation for 7.30 p.m. which we decided to leave it at this time as it was only 30 minutes difference. We duly arrived at 7.30.p.m. and sat at the table we requested as there was no other diners there, no sign of any staff for quite a while and we felt a bit forgotten but eventually someone appeared. We decided to treat ourselves and ordered the Kobe steak, after another wait we were told that there there was no Kobe steak left so we had to order something else, if it is something that is not asked for often we would have requested it on our preference form if we had known. We opted for breakfast in our room on both days and the champagne was not delivered on both occasions, we did get it after we informed the staff member. Enjoyed breakfast first morning but second day my friends breakfast arrived with black pudding instead of the sausages she ordered. My scrambled eggs were really watery and I couldn't eat them. There was a mix up with the complimentary hot chocolate and a really funny incident with mint. I hope these comments are taken in a constructive way as expected for a hotel of this calibre, as most of the staff were really nice, especially Teddy who made us feel really welcome and would go out of his way to speak to us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your kind and much valued feedback and comments following your second stay with us at the Milestone. I'm delighted that you enjoyed our Christmas Decorations as we have been receiving some lovely comments about them and thank you for your lovely words about Teddy which I will be sure to pass onto him! I am most concerned and disappointed to read that you felt our attention to detail was not as you experienced on your previous stay with us. I have responded by way of an apology already to your colleague about the fruit selection. This should have been picked up and an acceptable alternative offered to you.
I am extremely sorry for the error in dinner reservation time that we made and I am most concerned to read that you were not greeted or acknowledged immediately that you arrived and that not only did we not have the Kobe steak available but that this was also not communicated immediately to you as it clearly should have been.
I appreciate that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we usually receive very good feedback on the consistency and quality of our breakfast - please accept my unreserved apologies that you had to request the glass of Champagne and especially that the breakfast was not correct and to our usual standard on the second day.
The Hot Chocolate is a very popular welcome drink that we offer during the festive season so I am very disappointed to hear about the mix-up with this that you experienced.
Please rest assured that we are as committed to delivering a consistently high standard of product now as we have always been and I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our usual level of service on your next stay with us.
Cardiff wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My friend and myself stayed here for 2 nights and although I love this hotel I think there were little things that let it down.

On arrival our room wasn't quite ready and we were offered a glass of champagne while we waited which was a lovely touch. We sat in the bar area chatting to Markus who is lovely.

Our room was ready in about 10mins so up went to room 203 which was lovely, in fact so nice we spent most of our time there.

On checking our fruit platter they gave us the wrong fruit. Not a big problem but that have never happened before.
We went down to have a pre dinner drink and the canapes that have been served in previous years have gone downhill. One bread stick between us and the tiny toasted sanwiches were quite greasy also we had nearly finished our drinks before they had arrived.
In to the dining room we go. We had a table booked for 7.30 and got in there about 7.20 waited a while before someone came out to us and we went ahead and both ordered the Kobe steak. After sitting at the table for 15 mins the waiter came and said sorry but there is no Kobe steak left. Now this is a 5star restaurant and we were the first diners in there.
We opted then for the duck and a fillet steak which was just OK. We also had to wait an hour for this to be deivered to the table and that was after the manager phoned the kitchen to see where our food was. On getting the bill we had been charged for the 2 Kobe steaks which was soon taken off our bill but that is not the point.
Other little things for example they have 3 different kindsof salt on the table which in previous years have been explained to diners not this time though.It these little things that matter.
We then opted for breakfast in the room on both mornings and you will have a glass of complimentary champagne if you take that option. Both morning I had to ask for it also on the 2nd morning I had items on my plate which I hadnt ordered and items that I had ordered not on there.
When I mentioned any of the above things they were dealt with straight away.
I would not use the restaurant again and I think food and beverages need to be addressed.
Apart from that Front of House staff were lovely Teddy was really nice and the doorman on duty excellent. How do they remember your names?:)
I am glad this wasnt my first time as I know it could be better and little things like this will take it from the top rated hotel on here which is a shame as I do love it.

Room Tip: I am sure any room would be lovely
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your most recent stay with us. As a guest who has enjoyed their previous stays with us, the points that you kindly raise are of particular concern as we realise that you have a right to expect consistency from us in all areas of your stay. You were kind enough o mention that you enjoyed the service of our Front of House team and I will most definitely be passing your kind words onto Teddy.
We make a point of checking our guest preferences and it's very rare for us not to be able to supply a specific preference for our fruit selection but we should have made you aware of this and checked for an acceptable alternative. I'm exremely concerned that you found our bar canapes not as good as you remember previously as the selection and quality should most definitely have been the same. Please rest assured that this is being followed up. Our restaurant is open from 5.30pm each evening for pre-theatre dining and we do find that our Kobe steaks are very popular and it may be that we might have sold out but this most definitely should have been explained when the menus were presented. I am so sorry to hear that you had so long to wait for your dinner as I can't see any reason why there should have been any delay and I appreciate that for the bill to then be presented wrong this would have been cause for much frustration.
Whilst only a small part of our service journey the explanation of our salts and breads we do take seriously and this level of detail is something that we do usually get right as I have the pleasure to read many positive comments about just these details that our guests enjoy.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you had to ask for Champagne and that there were items worng with your hot breakfast. Although you were kind enough to mention that each issue was dealt with immediately these points clearly should have been correct to start with.
As a valued guest who has experienced very different service from us previously I would like to respond to you privately as well to enable me to demonstrate that we are as committed to our product and service today as we have always been and we will most definitely demonstrate this on what we hope will be your 4th stay with us.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nothing is finer than returning to The Milestone- especially during the festive season when it looks especially lovely. My husband and I just took a vacation to Italy and we passed through London on both ends of the trip. We stayed at the Milestone for a total of 5 nights and every night was superb. No matter which suite you get, you will be thrilled. They are all lovely and unique. I'm quite convinced that the staff is the best in London (if not the world). If I sound like I'm a little over the top about this hotel, it is because I am. It is that good. We also had dinner on two different nights at the hotel restaurant-- Chenestons. It is also lovely and the food is a real treat. The location across the street from Kensington Palace is my favorite spot in London. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stamford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our overall experience at this hotel was positive and I would recommend it to anyone, particularly those interested in the Kensington area, but they do have some opportunities for improvement. The pros include: decor and overall charm, quality of linens and toiletries, excellent tea, location in Kensington. Unfortunately the concierge was less than helpful. I asked for some inside information on visiting Westminster Abbey and was quoted the hours of operation. The breakfast was average. Although lovely our deluxe king room was quite compact with a very small window; however, the bathroom was large. I was irritated because there was a planned disruption to the tube lines that service the hotel as well as a protest near the hotel on the Saturday that we were there. Most hotels of any level advise their guests and help with alternate routes. No such notification was given and we had to change our plans for the day at the last minute. When I provided this feedback to the (same) concierge, the return response was a blank stare. We enjoyed our stay but were disappointed, particularly given that it is a luxury hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the overall feel of the Milestone as well as the quality of our products and I'm delighted that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea.
I am most concerned to read that you were disappointed with the quality of information supplied by our concierge as I appreciate how important this is. I do know that we made a point of placing a letter in every occupied room to forwarn about possible disruption to travel from the recent protests and that we would be delighted to help any of our guests with planning their journeys around this. Please accept my apologies that you felt that we could have done more here and I will certainly follow this up with my team.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Afternoon tea is such an elegant way of spending your (rainy) afternoon, especially when done in such a lovely decor as in the Milestone. We'd made reservations well in advance and requested to be seated near the fireplace. We did get these seats and it is lovely, though quite warm. Make sure you have something to take off if you request these seats. Next time, I'd ask to be seated under the 'Wimbledon painting'. You'll have to be in a group of four. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the three o'clock session ran late (the hotel has three 'rounds', each two hours). We were called in advance by the hotel informing us of this. They were very apologetic and I think they handled it superb. Staff was very friendly, service was excellent. Food was good. All in all a delightful and recommendable afternoon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I was really happy to read your feedback regarding your afternoon tea with us. Also many thanks for your patience with being slightly delayed as there were unforseen road closures that day so I was pleased that you made it to us and that you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience.
I do hope that you visit us once again and I have passed on your kind words to the team.
Andrew Pike

Been to The Milestone Hotel? Share your experiences!