“Remember it is a 4* Town House - Not Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Court Hotel

You added Abbey Court Hotel to your Saves list
Abbey Court Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Pembridge Gardens | Kensington, Notting Hill Gate, London W2 4DU, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #375 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Remember it is a 4* Town House - Not Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Very nice appearance from the outside, a thirty second walk to Notting Hill Gate tube, and a thirty minute walk to Park Lane, so it is a great location. Buzzer system with CCTV to get it, so good security. The reception area was very good, and the receptionist was friendly and helpful, and they were expecting me even though my reservation had only been made an hour previously on the internet. I was in Room 8 - ground floor at the front of the building. Nice size room, with tea and coffee making facilities and still and sparkling bottled water. Bed was a good size and comfortable. However, the jacuzzi that was advertised was two-thirds the size of a standard bath. Using the shower above the jacuzzi, because the bath was so thin, couldn't actually face the shower without putting one foot in front of the other.
Once out of the shower, which was nice and warm, and consistent temperature, I felt like I needed another one - the room was absolutely boiling. No air conditioning. I could open the window while I was awake and in the room, but other times - as I was on the ground floor - I didn't really feel like doing that.
Full 24 hour service, so when I returned from my function at about 0230, I didn't have to wait around outside.

In summary, remember that this is a 4* Town House, the jacuzzis aren't quite how you would imagine them, and the rooms can get quite hot!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Hotel is old and tired and could do with complete makeover. Rooms tiny. Definitely not a 4* hotel!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Tired decor and tiny rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

The location of the hotel is good, close to the tube,butttt, the upgrade to a large room with a four poster bed as advertised for booking on their website is never going to happen. As a matter of fact, since we got a "cheaper" rate , we were put in the basement. The manager was clear that if we wanted an upgrade, we would have to pay for it because it was their busy time and he could sell it a full price. When there was a problem with our bathroom, I suggested he move us to a different room and he was rude. It did not matter to him that we were spending five nights. The breakfast was ok, but the dinning room was small and crowded at times. There was no one to help us with our luggage. I'm not sure why they call this a boutique hotel. I would not reccomend this hotel.

• Disliked — The manager
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

The AA hotel guide from 2004 rated this hotel as a 4 star, and after staying 3 nights we can categorically say it's closer to a 2 star now. As we didn't have the opportunity to check reviews on Tripadvisor.com, I can honestly understand how people feel about this hotel. It's a great area, but the Abbey Court trades on it's past reputation, not what it now offers.

Lets start with the good things:

+ Breakfast was included and was of very good quality.
+ Good area, close to transport and the high street.

Now the bad:

- First room stank of cigarette smoke and was below ground
level.
- Dark and dingy first room as it was below ground level.
- Second room was at ground level and had better light.
- Cannot change temperature of room. Heating required staff to
come in and adjust the radiators.
- No air conditioning.
- Windows are not double glazed. Construction directly
across road is loud.
- Dead insect in the bed.
- They state marble in the bathrooms proudly. Small and dated
bathroom with a leaking toilet.
- Bed is old, carpets are frayed and linen is beyond it.
- Room next to us thought it would be nice to play the TV at 2am
for hours and hours.
- Asked to book taxi to Paddington station. Driver is probably
associated with hotel and tried to charge us 30 pounds for 5
minute journey! Refused and gave him only 10.
- Locks barely work on the doors.
- No help with luggage at all.
- All awards on the hotel door date back to 2003. No new
awards since then.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bilbao
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

They charged the room twice deliberately, they said there was some operation mistake by their side and two months later they haven`t give us the money back yet. They haven't replied the demands from Visa, from our Bank, or from the Web site in which we booked the room. What a cheek and lack of responsability!!!!!!!
PLEASE KEEP AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL AND THESE PEOPLE!!!

Stayed December 2007
TheAbbeyCourt, GM at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2008
A similar review is written on the entry to The Westpoint & Abbey Court Hotel in Sussex Gardens. This is a separate hotel company.
Northants
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

The hotel is in great location, just round the corner from the Tube station, but the hotel was a big disappointment for a supposed 4* establishment.
On arrival the heating was not on (Late Nov.!!) so we tried to phone the reception to ask for the heating to be turned on. However the phones did not work in any of the rooms apparently. We had to request a additional cup/saucer as there was only one in our room. However when the cup did arrive, I poured my tea in it, only for the saucer to fill up with tea...the cup was cracked. The cream in the room which we used for the coffee came out in one lump!...it was "off"...and this was UHT cream!
The room was quaint, old fashioned which we did not mind, however there were cigarette burns on the bedspread and furniture, and blood stains on the chair!!
The curtains were a disgusting black colour.
The breakfast was acceptable but nothing special (cold buffet only)
And to top it all we were awoken by builders across the road working on another hotel throwing rubble down a chute!
As you can guess we wil not be returning to "Fawlty Towres" in a hurry.

Stayed November 2007
edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

On arrival at the Abbey Court Hotel, I was directed to my room on the top floor. There is no lift which is fine but at £169.00 per night I expected a hand with my bag. No chance.
I entered my room passing shabby furniture, paintwork and carpets on the way to be greeted by crumbs on the bedroom carpet, an empty bottle of water with its cap discarded on the floor, loose tissues on the dressing table and a bed that had been sat on.
The room was too hot and I saw a notice saying to call reception to adjust the heating. However, the phone didn't work! I was disinclined to go down three flights of stairs to get the heating turned down so decided to open the window instead. That was a mistake as it wouldn't shut again and was open all night. To make matters worse, the curtains could not close because of a broken rail.
The bed was comfortable but the blanket and 1950's style quilt, complete with cigarette burns, did nothing to reassure me that this was a well cared for establishment. This, together with the threadbare stool and cigarette burned chair was depressing.
The shower worked fairly well once the hot and cold had adjusted itself. However, there was no hook for the shower which meant me sitting in the bath holding the shower with one hand and trying to wash my hair and body with the other. Difficult!
I was there on business and had too much work to do that evening to spend time raising my concerns at the time. Like others, I will vote with my feet and not use this hotel again. It was an expensive mistake.

• Liked — The mattress on the bed
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Abbey Court Hotel? Share your experiences!