“I Am Just Not Sure?!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lennox Hotel

The Lennox Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
The Lennox Hotel
34 Pembridge Gardens, London W2 4DX, England (Formerly the Pembridge Court Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #843 of 1,075 hotels in London
CAMBRIDGE, UK
“I Am Just Not Sure?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

I am having to make myself write this honest review as I have never stayed at such a friendly and welcoming hotel. The staff would do anything for you and were kind, informative and always available.

The hotel looks impressive from the outside but when I entered the door it just wasn't what I was expecting for £185 a night. Now I do realise that this hotel has recently been taken over but to me, the public areas just screamed B&B. There was a smell of stale smoke and the reception area is a hatch to the side of the hallway. This hotel has very limited public space. There is a small breakfast/bar room to the rear of the hotel but the 'reception area' is the size of your average hallway with nowhere to sit.

The stairway and landings to the rooms do have some nice decretive touches but the large unattractive B&B style fire doors do nothing for the interior.

When I entered our room, I have to say I was impressed. The room was large, beautifully furnished with a gigantic bed and a huge plasma TV. The en-suite was larger than your standard hotel bathroom and this size of room in London is rare.

But the negatives on the room and the hotel in general were annoying. This hotel has been 'glossed'. Apparently, the hotel has only been The Lennox for six months and it looks like the refurb was done in a huge hurry. There is an awful lot of chipped wood work throughout the hotel. The gloss work to windows and doors is just tired. The bath fixtures and fittings don't appear to have been refitted so our bathroom had a lot of black grime in the tiles also, our bath tap was broken with the broken piece sitting next to the bath waiting on a repair. The dust in the bathroom was shocking and the first white towel I grabbed had a faded make-up stain across it.

Also I should point out that if you have seen the film Notting Hill, this isn't in one of those quaint streets. The hotel actually looks over a large block of flats.

Enough said. I guess this review has more to do with the £185 a night we paid and the glossiness of their website which isn't as glossy in real life.

I just didn't quiet get this hotel although the people were fabulous.

Next time we will stay at our favourite, The Mandeville, just off Oxford Street, which is half the price and lives up to its website (and it is terribly glossy!).

• Stayed June 2006

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

The Lennox is a lovely, immaculate hotel on a serene street just down the block from the busy intersection Notting Hill Gate. The charming staff was friendly and helpful without being obtrusive. We had a standard double room, and it was quite large and well equipped, and elegantly furnished (it was the Pembridge Room, facing the street but very quiet). Wonderful bed and bath linens. I was travelling with my adult daughter and we were very comfortable sharing a twin/king sized bed, with much room to spare. Breakfast served in our room was promptly delivered and (though no bargain) it was full of healthy selections and lovely fresh fruit. The cleaning staff was efficient and thorough.
There are some excellent restaurants within a short walk of the hotel, plus the wildly bustling Portobello Market and a great art house cinema. We were very pleased and would stay there again in a nanosecond.

• Stayed May 2006
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

The Lennox is just around the corner from the Notting Hill Gate tub station--a hustle, bustle area full of people--yet the hotel is an oasis of quirky charm and relaxation.

The Main House over on Colville Road recommended and referred us to the Lennox and we enjoyed the Lennox tremendously! The hotel has about 20 rooms, and we had one in the back on the main floor. Dubbed "the Windsor", it was large, with a spacious bathroom and all the comforts of home--flat screen plasma TV, CD player (with Vivaldi loaded), double paned windows that opened and huge bath sheets. Despite the hopping location, and street level room, the hotel and our room was wonderfully quiet.

There is a breakfast that I never got up for, and a real honor bar/salon area. The internet access computer is in the hallway. That was only a problem when I was Skype-ing to the US one evening and my voice reverberated down the hall. Wireless was available in the salon so I moved there with my laptop.

From the moment we arrived we liked the Lennox and the people working there. We checked it very late (about 2am) and Robert greeted us, got us all the potato chips we could eat and made us drinks. It had been a really long day. We all chatted for another hour before my partner and I, now revived, collapsed. Day staff helpfully stored bags, found us take away recommendations, phone help--all the things a large hotel would do without the largeness.

We thought it a good value at about 175 pounds/night for the Exec. sized room. We will definitely go there again--the hotel and the neighborhood are great!

New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2006

I have frequently stayed here over the past 10 years. The recent change of ownership seems to have gone smoothly. Service and rooms are still at the same level. The price, however, has increased substantially. General guideline of gbp110 is totally out of date. Most recently, I paid gbp200 per night. Not outrageous for London, but no bargain. Despite that, still a top choice.

• Stayed December 2005
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2006

i stayed in 'the lennox' for 3 nights, after the change of owners. it is brilliant. the room is so big and the decoration is so beautiful, the bathroom is a sheer indulgence, with huge soft white towels. the room is full of surprizes: air perfume, free best magazines (inc. time out, plasma tv - to mention just a few.
located in a quiet residential street and yet minutes from the tube (notting hill gate)and the heart of the city (portabello rd. is few steps away).
breakfast looks modest at first sight, but turns out to be great, with superb delicious items.
loved it very much, although pipe system is noisy when water is running.

• Stayed January 2006
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

This hotel has recently been taken over and the Lennox is the new name (can't remember the old one!).

We booked in at this modest hotel for an overnight stay. We went in through security doors and were greeted by a well-dressed and very pleasant gentlema, where we were checked in and given our key. We were then escorted to the lift and taken up to our room - the rooms are named which adds a little luxury!

We were shown into our room which was on the 3rd floor and had a vertigo-free view of the street outside. It was very spacious and had a flat screen TV with a mini-bar, spring water and lovely complimentary toiletries.
It was beautifully decorated with heavy floral curtains, a soft beige carpet, a comfortable sofa (which looked like it converted into a pull-out bed) and dark wood furniture such as a lovely old writing bureau with a drop-down writing desk.
The bathroom was gleaming with a lovely deep bath, an old fashioned brass shower system with a big shower head and little touches such as cotton wool balls in glass containers. The lighting was good and it included a free-standing shaving mirror and use of the fluffiest bath-robes I've ever seen! The towels were clean and soft too.
The bed was fantastic. It was well made with crisp white sheets, a duvet and a carefully folded bedspread. It was topped with 4 soft pillows and decorated with 2 roll pillows, a lovely picture pillow and a cute little teddy with a jumper on! The bed was soft and comfy.
Room service was available at any time.
Breakfast was very nice with the usual selection of cereal, criossants etc. You also had the option of a cooked breakfast and the staff again were very nice.

The price of the room was very reasonable and about right for the area of London. I'd stayed in worse for more!

Los Angeles USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

Walking through Notting Hill, we discovered this wonderful bed & breakfast style hotel by Pembridge Gardens. It was a shade more than I had wanted to spend, but the extras were well worth it. Air-conditioned. Large room. Extremely quiet street and area. One and a half block walk to Notting Hill tube station. Short walk to all necessary shopping, money cambio, wonderful shops, etc. The hotel staff were absolutely wonderful and helpful. They would always call a private cab for trips requiring punctuality, i.e. train station, appointment in town. The full English breakfast selection is sensational, and part of the nightly rate. I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling as a family or even on business.

Been to The Lennox Hotel? Share your experiences!