“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Premier London Piccadilly Hotel

You added Shaftesbury Premier London Piccadilly Hotel to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Premier London Piccadilly Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 - 73 Shaftesbury Ave | Piccadilly, London W1D 6EX, England (Formerly Best Western) (Soho)   |
Ranked #383 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2005

I concur with the reviewer who dubbed this hotel "a nightmare". I'm convinced that some of the 5-star reviews of this site must've been done by hotel staff or else someone else compensated to give this wreck of a hotel a good review.

I don't know where to begin. Firstly, the service and attention to detail that you would expect from a USD275/night hotel were just NON-existent. The hallways were narrow and uncomfortable, with stains on the carpets. The hotel room smelled as though it had a toilet leak - awful. I won't even criticize the room for noisiness because it's understandable that a room adjacent to a major thoroughfare would be noisy. But the front office staff seemed as though they could barely understand English.

Then it gets worse. The shower head on the cord didn't work. It was uncomfortable temperature-wise, and I couldn't find the thermostat for the life of me. Would you believe that a $275/night hotel DIDN'T have a THERMOSTAT? They said they'd just installed a new heating/ac unit on the wall in three units, but only had 1 remote control. How ludicrous is that? The guy comes up with the remote control, but he can't leave it with me because it's supposed to serve three rooms. Well, I can adjust the [expletive] heating/ac unit manually MYSELF, I don't need hotel staff to do it. Basically, there was NO way to have the room maintain a constant temperature. If you were too hot, you had to get on a CHAIR to reach the unit and turn on the AC. But since there was no thermostat it couldn't self regulate. So, of course, if you were to fall asleep and it got too cold, you'd have to get out of bed to turn the AC off. And so on, ad infinitum. To add more pain (or humor, depending on how dark your sense of humor is), the front desk staff didn't even know what a thermostat was. I kid you not. I asked, "Where is the thermostat in the room? I don't see it?". He responds that it was on the wall, but it was obvious he thought I was referring to the heating/ac unit itself. I said, "no...not the unit...the thermostat. Where is the thermostat?". Whereupon I hear him talking away from the phone to one of his colleagues, and I hear him say the word thermostat, then he comes back and says, "oh, if you go three blocks down Shaftesbury..."

I'm not kidding you, people. Just to illustrate that he didn't know what a thermostat was.

Want more? I had a very important business meeting and decided I would take a nap. I asked the staff for a wakeup call. Having been travelling through Europe on meetings I had been exhausted and needed to be fresh for the meeting. I wake up an hour after my meeting was to start, three hours after I'd requested my wakeup call. No wake up call. I called down, furious, inquiring. "Oh...we had it written down here, I'm not sure what happened".

One of the very few outlets in the room didn't work. And the manager, after all the aforementioned catastrophe, could muster nothing more than an "I'm sorry". No mention of a partial refund, no complimentary breakfast, not a cup of coffee or a cookie.

All I ask from a hotel is that the room is clean, things function, and the service is good. Any hotel, regardless of the price, should be able to provide that. The best thing I could say about this hotel is that the room had a nice tv. Other than that...things didn't work, and the service was absolutely TERRIBLE.

They will never, ever, EVER get my business again. This is the worst hotel experience I've ever had, in 20 years of international travel for business and pleasure.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
Devon, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2005

Stayed here for 2 nights as a woman on my own. I was attending a course. Lucky that the very pleasant reception staff upgraded me from a single to a double as I would hate to imagine the size of the single room! There is hardly any room left for a suitcase! The bathroom is tiny. No room to put your things. I felt somewhat claustrophobic but being so centrally located made up for it. I was a little disappointed with the internet browser in the room which did not work well. The staff were very nice. Without them I think it should be a lower star rating!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

The BW Shaftesbury was perfect for my trip, but the room size was downright funny.

I booked a single and the bed was at the end of the room, extending the full width of the room - 6 feet maximum. You couldn't put your bag on the bag trolley without blocking the door. Thank heavens I had a small bag!

The pluses:
1. Location to theaters: perfect. I was only 1/2 to a few blocks from all of the theaters I wanted to see, and only 4-5 blocks from the Piccadilly Underground station. There are many restaurants and convenience stores in the area. This was great for a woman traveling alone as I didn't have more than a couple of blocks to walk home after a show.

2. Bathroom: the shower worked well, good hot water. Sink had good water coming in, but could easily overflow as it was small. Nice free toiletries. Only 1 bath towel and 1 face cloth.

3. Bed was very comfortable with a comforter, sheet, two great pillows.

4. Air conditioning worked - and I was there on an 89F day when it was truly needed!

5. High speed interent access free. Worked great.

6. US plug in: this was wonderful to have for my laptop.

7. Nice flatscreen TV, with a webTV sort of internet thing. This didn't work so well for me as the screen didn't resize, so had to scroll around everything. I was happy I had brought my laptop.

8. Bowl of fruit on arrival.

9. My room was very quiet, it was at the back of the hotel. One afternoon they were playing music in the room next door and it was very loud, but when I flushed the toilet they turned it off. So, it may be noisy if you have neighbors.

Drawback: Incredibly small sized room. But, that said, it worked fine for little old me.

One complaint: on checkout, they handed me a bill which showed their rack rates after the first night rather than the rate guaranteed by my reservation, a difference of 418 pounds!!!! Luckily, I had my internet reservation printout and they corrected it immediately with no fuss.

Moral: always bring proof of your rate.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Shaftesbury Premier London Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!