“Reasonably priced but like being on a school trip” 3 of 5 stars

St Giles London - St Giles Classic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bedford Avenue, London WC1B 3GH, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #599 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Glos
“Reasonably priced but like being on a school trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We go regularly to London but this was a step down in terms of location and general smartness. The corridors are lino and there are few soft furnishings making noise from the corridors at night very noticeable. My friends all suffered from disturbed nights, but I was lucky.

The double room was tiny but clean with a good functioning shower and decent bathroom - also tiny. I actually found the room quite comfortable and slept well.

The breakfast was grim. Queuing to get in like a school party, told off for allowing party members to wait together. Getting the breakfast was like a horrible canteen with no charm or service whatsoever.

Apparently you have to pay to use the swimming pool and it is a shared public amenity.

I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Avoid the lifts - very noisy
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at the St. Giles for one night recently. A very unfriendly check-in (not at all personal - you feel more like a number rather than a person). Twin room was okay (small) - bathroom very cramped. Breakfast was like a cattle mart! People everywhere - hundreds! Canteen style arrangement. Felt the general quality of the buffet breakfast was well below par - cheap quality juices (from dispenser machines), etc. Only real positive thing about this hotel is its location. Still an expensive place to stay for what you get - but at the time we made the booking, at €126 for b&b for two people, it was as the 'best' option (price-wise) available.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I unfortunately arrived at the same time as a coach load of tourist whom were checking in, I did wait for a while but fortunately the doorman did spot me and ushered me through the queue - So a big thank you to him!

Lifts were a real problem though as only 3 of the 4 working, very slow and painful every time I went to use one.

Room was very small and right over the Tottenham Court, noise was awful and the blinds were broken so a lot of headlights coming in during the night.

Bathroom very compact but clean and had everything you need.

Breakfast - It's a canteen, sit where you can and get out quick. Don't expect a relaxing breakfast. they did have a decent enough choice though.

location - well as everyone points out it is very well located, but that should not be an excuse for allowing mediocrity.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back, don't pay for breakfast as there is lots of choice locally, reme...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stay here ehever time I come to London. This hotel is right on the cusp of theatreland and is ideally loacated for Sahftsberry avenue and only a 15 minute walk to the delights of the Strand.
The rooms are small but perfectly formed and the hotel offers lots of amentities (if you so desire) but I can't comment on those as I've always been too busy out exploring.
Breakfast is a bit of a cattle farm but if you time it right you can eat in peace.
I'll no doubt be back at some point this year/next year.

Room Tip: Breakfast: Go either first thing or wait until the last hour otherwise you'll have to queue to w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Whitby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I've used this hotel on a few occasions now, I don't know if standards are slipping or I'm getting a bit more fussy. I did notice the bar area had been refurbished. Very nice but very pricey compared to our last visit. The lifts are still a nightmare, when you can get one. Otherwise it's the stairs all eight flights of them on this occasion.

We skipped breakfast this time as we felt we ate it for the sake of it, one morning it's fine as a one off but after that its very bland. Good choice yes but quality not great.

I did find our twin room very strange, the tv was olugged into the ceiling and turned off at the plug....but it was fine I balanced my sister on a chair so we could turn it on.. I'm a celebrity get me out of here was on when we stayed so we felt the need for TV, also the power sockets were not in
good places. We had to move our beds on a night to plug our iPads/telephones in.
Our room was quite noisy too not just from the outside but other rooms slamming doors etc.

All in all very average in my opinion. Didn't affect our overall stay as we knew what to expect but I will look elsewhere for accommodation next time I visit London.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I have just spent two nights at this hotel. The welcome was pleasant and efficient with the doorman even offering to carry our cases. Our room and en-suite was small but clean and comfortable. It is a large hotel with a number of floors so, at certain times, the small lifts were very busy. Our only complaint was that our room was too warm during the night, even with the radiator turned off and the proximity of Tottenham Court Road meant that there was too much traffic noise to leave the small window open. Our tariff was very reasonable for room only and we enjoyed breakfast at a nearby cafe. The central location is good and we would certainly use this hotel again if the tariff was right.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at St Giles hotel for one night at the end of Jan 14 so we could meet our friends that were visiting London. The hotel itself looks great and clean. The staff at the reception were great, professional and efficient. Our room was on the 9th floor although still quite noisy through the windows so ear plugs might be a way forward but hey it is London after all! Room is quite small but there is another small area with a TV in it so it feels like a mini apartment. Bed was VERY comfortable, duvet was cosy so very good night sleep. The blinds on all windows do let little light in so room isn't pitch black but not an issue in January.The bathroom is small with quite a good shower although this was not spotless when we arrived. The towels were clean but had some holes in it so don't be surprised if you have the same issue. Altogether good hotel for a short stay, great location so unless some of mentioned issues bother you, we would recommend it to all with similar needs. :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to St Giles London - St Giles Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!