“St Giles Hotel London” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #598 of 1,050 Hotels in London
england
“St Giles Hotel London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed at St Giles overnight 23/03/13 on an all inclusive theatre break weekend. Location was excellent. Straight out of the tube,& across the road opposite the theatre showing We Will rock You (forgot name), then hotel was just the next but one street along, literally approx 5 min walk from the tube. The check in was efficient, the room adequate for an overnight stay, free safe in wardrobe, hand wash & shower gel provided if needed, the beds were so comfy. We stayed in room 430 near the lifts, little noise during late evening but guests returning after evening out like us so wasn't too bothered. There is a small café upstairs serving coffee sandwiches etc, very reasonable prices, for hotel, we had an all you can eat breakfast buffet before check out on Sunday, priced at approx £10 each but ours was included in package. usual choices coffee/tea, juices, cheese cooked meats, cereals, fruit, cooked English breakfast etc, very enjoyable. We went to Her Majesty's theatre to see Phantom Of The Opera, highly recommend seeing this production, the cast and costumes were fantastic, excellent seats in royal circle all included in package. We bought day travel cards for tube which could be used on buses too think they cost £7.30 each for each day so very good value for money as unlimited travel, but stuck to tubes as very easy to tube hop from line to line, spent the day sightseeing/shopping on the Sunday and left cases with concierge at hotel for the day, was just charged £1 per bag/case so was excellent value and saved us dragging them round with us for the day. Was totally satisfied with hotel, location was right on corner of Oxford Street and never too far away to travel to Leicester Square. Knightsbridge/Harrods, Camden Market etc, which we visited on the Sunday and had a nice lunch in the Moon Under The Water (Wetherspoons),in Leicester Square, before our trip to the National Portrait Gallery. The staff were excellent at the hotel and we would definitely book to stay again with no hesitation. Theatre package was excellent value, will be returning in the not too distant future hopefully.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Well, if you pay yourself for your business trip accommodation and you want to do quick shopping in London at the same time, this is definitely the hotel to stay at. I stayed there two nights in December and I loved the location as this is JUST on the Oxford street with all the shops and bars where you can really enjoy shopping and quick, nice food after you attended a business meeting or a conference. The hotel is also very close to the tube station. I did enjoy it and felt really safe and close to everywhere. The reception and concierge was nice and helpful. Now, do not expect too much in terms of design or space. In fact, my room was so tiny that I could hardly manage with my shopping bags:-) But on the other hand that was the cheapest accommodation in that perfect location and I did not expect anything more. The room was very clean and warm. Two minor points: at peak hours the lifts cannot respond to a very high demand so I had to walk up the stairs, otherwise I would wait for a long time. And the breakfast was, hmm, quite artificial and not good at all. I could not cancel it at the hotel since I booked it through booking.com. And the room service did not smile or say hello at all. But, although this hotel would probably not satisfy a very demanding client, at this low rate, the location is perfect and room is OK. So if I ever go business and look for something very simple, I would book a room there again (with no breakfast).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel has a lot of horror stories attached to it, and I was scared when I booked it. I think if you are expecting a top notch, amazing hotel, this is not the one for you. However, if you are a traveler on a budget who is mostly concerned with location, this is your hotel!

This St.Giles is very no-frills, the rooms are very 80s, and of course it's Europe so the rooms are small (although I've seen smaller), but you are in the heart of SoHo, a short walk from Trafalgar Square, and situated right next to a big Tube station, a Starbucks, and tons of shops and restaurants.

It does the job! Also, the Concierge was very helpful, and we were able to check in immediately upon arrival at 10AM!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
North West England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the St Giles for 3 nights, and were more than happy with it. Our room was pretty spacious for central London, and very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small but didn't feel cramped. Unlike some previous reviewers, we had no problems with noise, which was odd as we were in a room near to the lifts. Check-in was quick and easy, and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We didn't have the breakfast, so I can't comment, but it certainly smelled good.

This hotel really is ideally suited to anyone wanting to visit the West End, and I would be more than happy to stay here again. Incidentally, we managed to get a better room rate by following a link on the hotel's Facebook page (an extra 10% off the lowest price available).

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - we were in room 1129 and had a breathtaking view of the BT Tower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First all the pluses. Ideal for tourists/sightseeing. China Town, Soho, British Museum virtually on doorstep. Clean and bed comfortable.

But.... It reminded me of a factory with the efficient checking ln; the design that ensures that not an inch is wasted; you can just about move around in the room but keep your eyes open; it's a place for processing guests; a place to rest your head but not relax.

I had to leave early in the morning and the water in the shower remained cold which was not a good start to the day. I think overall that it cost more than it was worth.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for one night on a business trip. My first room was on the twelfth floor, the corridor was shabby, the room freezing cold and the room stark with a shabby carpet , no curtains and a very small bathroom with no heating. After being promised a heater and waiting one hour for it I gave up, packed up and went to reception to request another room. They initially told me the hotel was full, but then found another room? This was on the 8 th floor. It was better, but noisy I could hear EVERYTHING taking place in the bathroom next door and the windows are not very soundproof so the noise from outside was a problem. The room was exceptionally clean but that's the only good point about the hotel apart from the location. The standard of the first room wasn't even up to 2 star .

• Stayed March 2013
nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at different times and consequently got separate electronic keys but only one was allowed to be active, which was a bit off putting and would of been a problem if we had been going to different places and different times, which wasn't a great start for us.
The hotel itself is in a good location just around the corner from Tottenham Court Road tube station and the British Museum. Unfortunately the room I stayed on the 4th floor was compact although although we are of average height and build would of struggled in the small bathroom and shower if we were of a bigger build. The bathroom had only one bath towel and hand towel for a double room and 2 of us. I called Housekeeping and got an answerphone message to say their opening hours and to call the following number out of hours, it was 4pm and was well with the times stated. I then called reception who asked me to check the wardrobes as sometimes housekeeping put them with the spare pillows. I informed the receptionist I had checked the small wardrobe and draws and nothing and explain we were going out to dinner and wanted showers, they informed me 10 minutes, I had to call just over an hour later to remind them. The towels in my opinion are small bath towels and not a great quality, compared to many of their competitors and even lesser expensive rivals who use bath sheets. The bed was adequate. The biggest concern for us the lack of curtains as the windows are venetian blinds, that reflect the light outside through the gaps. When it starts to get light the room gets light, if you are a light sleeper(excuse the pun) not a great experience at all.
Breakfast is more like a cafeteria rather than a restaurant, basic, just OK. I had originally booked again for next month, but cancelled it on my return home. We would not stay here again and felt very disappointed as the write up gave a good impression.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St Giles London - St Giles Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!