“Great Location! Okay Hotel for the price” 4 of 5 stars

St Giles London - St Giles Classic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bedford Avenue, London WC1B 3GH, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #608 of 1,053 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Great Location! Okay Hotel for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel has a lot of horror stories attached to it, and I was scared when I booked it. I think if you are expecting a top notch, amazing hotel, this is not the one for you. However, if you are a traveler on a budget who is mostly concerned with location, this is your hotel!

This St.Giles is very no-frills, the rooms are very 80s, and of course it's Europe so the rooms are small (although I've seen smaller), but you are in the heart of SoHo, a short walk from Trafalgar Square, and situated right next to a big Tube station, a Starbucks, and tons of shops and restaurants.

It does the job! Also, the Concierge was very helpful, and we were able to check in immediately upon arrival at 10AM!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North West England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the St Giles for 3 nights, and were more than happy with it. Our room was pretty spacious for central London, and very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small but didn't feel cramped. Unlike some previous reviewers, we had no problems with noise, which was odd as we were in a room near to the lifts. Check-in was quick and easy, and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We didn't have the breakfast, so I can't comment, but it certainly smelled good.

This hotel really is ideally suited to anyone wanting to visit the West End, and I would be more than happy to stay here again. Incidentally, we managed to get a better room rate by following a link on the hotel's Facebook page (an extra 10% off the lowest price available).

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - we were in room 1129 and had a breathtaking view of the BT Tower.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First all the pluses. Ideal for tourists/sightseeing. China Town, Soho, British Museum virtually on doorstep. Clean and bed comfortable.

But.... It reminded me of a factory with the efficient checking ln; the design that ensures that not an inch is wasted; you can just about move around in the room but keep your eyes open; it's a place for processing guests; a place to rest your head but not relax.

I had to leave early in the morning and the water in the shower remained cold which was not a good start to the day. I think overall that it cost more than it was worth.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for one night on a business trip. My first room was on the twelfth floor, the corridor was shabby, the room freezing cold and the room stark with a shabby carpet , no curtains and a very small bathroom with no heating. After being promised a heater and waiting one hour for it I gave up, packed up and went to reception to request another room. They initially told me the hotel was full, but then found another room? This was on the 8 th floor. It was better, but noisy I could hear EVERYTHING taking place in the bathroom next door and the windows are not very soundproof so the noise from outside was a problem. The room was exceptionally clean but that's the only good point about the hotel apart from the location. The standard of the first room wasn't even up to 2 star .

• Stayed March 2013
nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at different times and consequently got separate electronic keys but only one was allowed to be active, which was a bit off putting and would of been a problem if we had been going to different places and different times, which wasn't a great start for us.
The hotel itself is in a good location just around the corner from Tottenham Court Road tube station and the British Museum. Unfortunately the room I stayed on the 4th floor was compact although although we are of average height and build would of struggled in the small bathroom and shower if we were of a bigger build. The bathroom had only one bath towel and hand towel for a double room and 2 of us. I called Housekeeping and got an answerphone message to say their opening hours and to call the following number out of hours, it was 4pm and was well with the times stated. I then called reception who asked me to check the wardrobes as sometimes housekeeping put them with the spare pillows. I informed the receptionist I had checked the small wardrobe and draws and nothing and explain we were going out to dinner and wanted showers, they informed me 10 minutes, I had to call just over an hour later to remind them. The towels in my opinion are small bath towels and not a great quality, compared to many of their competitors and even lesser expensive rivals who use bath sheets. The bed was adequate. The biggest concern for us the lack of curtains as the windows are venetian blinds, that reflect the light outside through the gaps. When it starts to get light the room gets light, if you are a light sleeper(excuse the pun) not a great experience at all.
Breakfast is more like a cafeteria rather than a restaurant, basic, just OK. I had originally booked again for next month, but cancelled it on my return home. We would not stay here again and felt very disappointed as the write up gave a good impression.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at The St. Giles Hotel on a one night Theatre break. The reception team are very polite. Rooms are small but clean with Tea and Coffee facilities, the beds are comfortable, and the Bathroom is small but functional. It was a very cold evening but the room was warm, in fact too warm at the beginning, but heating was easy to adjust. We didn't experience any noise as the room looked out over a side street. We would definitely stay here again

Lausanne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very good location, central London, near Soho and Oxford Street - this is the best point. Nice room, clean and very comfortable, good beds, good shower. Not enough elevators (and quite slow). Stressful breakfast in a big space, overwhelmed staff, running around.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Bloomsbury Park - A Thistle Associate Hotel
Grange Lancaster Hotel
Grange Lancaster Hotel
#650 of 1,053 in London
3.5 of 5 stars 236 reviews

Been to St Giles London - St Giles Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!