“Deserves a better rating” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Strand Palace Hotel

You added Strand Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Strand Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   372 Strand, London WC2R 0JJ, England (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)   |
Special Offer
Free Travelcard
Ranked #352 of 1,065 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
cheltenham
“Deserves a better rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Cannot fault this hotel far better than some 5 stars I have stayed in. Booked Executive room 101 on first floor, no view but the quietest room I have ever had which is more important in a city. Walk in shower only (you can request this if required) everything there as stated on their website. Ice machine on landing. Breakfast very good choice, hot food and coffee - a rarity. Hotel very busy during our stay but never experienced any delays, plenty of staff. Evening meal in the Brasserie extremely good as was the wine, prices only what I would expect to pay in London, however Ex. rooms get 10% discount on food and drink. All staff very polite and helpful. Express checkout very efficient. Location brilliant for theatres and all major site seeing, great english pubs in Covent Garden. Bargain at £310 for 2 nights B &B (advance payment) directly with Hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

Check in – we arrived at around 5.30/6pm so reception was quite busy with a bit of a queue but we were seen quickly and they had a lot of staff manning the desks.

The executive room we had was of a very good size, we previously stayed at this hotel a number of years ago in a standard room, which was very small in comparison. The room was very clean and although there was no bath there was a large and very powerful shower, which was great to wake up to.

The bed was very large and comfortable, safe available in the wardrobe which was big enough to hold a laptop so very handy.

With the executive room we got a few extras:
Complimentary high speed wireless internet access - had to call for the code both days but no issues once we were logged on.
Free movies – we were advised on check in that we had to “accept” the charge for the film (£7.99) but that it would be automatically deducted from our room bill. We only watched one film during our stay and had no problems (didn’t show on final bill)
Fruit plate - I agree with the previous review stating that it is nothing to get excited about, both days we had 2 x apples and an orange but was handy to take out as a snack during the day.
Complementary water – had 2 x small bottles of water left each day
Luxury toiletries - There was certainly more than I would usually expect on offer and was good to see they were replaced each day as some hotels don’t bother.
Plasma TV - Had a bit of an issue with the TV initially in that it turned itself off a few times. After a call to reception a maintenance guy was up very quickly to re programme it with no further issues.

Few other things that were included in the Executive room package: Bathrobes and slippers, tea/coffee/biscuits, hairdryer, i-pod docking station, 10% discount on food and beverages in the hotel, turndown service, free magazine/newspaper (didn’t use), access to health club (didn’t use), free luggage storage (didn’t use)

The hotel is very close to tube station (probably 5 mins stroll) and easy access to Covent Garden. Boots is directly opposite (handy if you have forgotten your toothbrush) but the hotel is on a main road so can get quite noisy, although we found when you have the wooden blinds across the windows shut it blocked out quite a bit of noise (not sure if these are in every room or just the executive).

We didn’t have an issue with the room temperature with visiting in January although I can imagine the fact is does not have air conditioning is a major issue when it is hot. There was a fan in the wardrobe but I am not sure how useful this would be and to be honest I wouldn’t want to take the risk in high summer.

Breakfast: This was included in the room rate that we booked on line (direct with the hotel) and was very good. The restaurant was quite busy both days and the tables are quite close together but certainly had plenty of food to choose from. The breakfast was a help yourself format with full English option, lots of cereal, toast, juices, fruit, yoghurt and pastries. Tea and coffee is brought to your table when you arrive and plates were cleared away quickly afterwards.

We took advantage of using the express checkout option and had no discrepancies with the bill even with having to accept the fee for movies these did not show. We also had the relevant 10% discount applied to our food/drink bill from our evening meal.

We ate at the hotel carvery restaurant on the 1st night, food was excellent and was very good value for money. You have the option of the set price, which is £16 for 2 courses or £19 for 3 courses plus also had a 25% off voucher for food too. Although the hotel states there are 2 roasts on offer there was actually 3 on the night we ate and can highly recommend the millionaires cheesecake, just make sure you leave room!

All of the staff we came in to contact with were polite and helpful from the doorman to reception and restaurant staff. I would definitely stay at the hotel again and would recommend it for location.

Staunton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

The Strand Palace Hotel has a wonderful location near many historic sites and is near Covent Garden tube station and bus stops nearby. It is clean, comfortable, has a good buffet breakfast and helpful staff. Our only complaint was that when we made one room reservation incorrectly by internet we were not allowed to change it. When we realized the error two days later, we emailed and telephoned, but they refused to change the type of room, even though our stay was 2 weeks away. They said, once the reservation is made it cannot be changed. Once we were in London, we talked with them face to face four days before we were to stay with them, and were told the same thing. So beware!!

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

The Strand Palace is in very well situated only 250yds or so off Trafalgar Square. Easy walking distance from the West End theaters, Whitehall, the river etc.
Friendly helpful staff, we couldn't fault it.
Next time we are in London that is where we will stay.

CHESTERFIELD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Booked this for my wifes 50th birthday - hotel in the heart of Covent Garden great theatres, food and bars a really excellent weekend. We did not have breakfeast in the hotel £16 per person !! but lots of lovely homely cafes two minutes walk away -drinks are also very expensive in the hotel but there are lots of bars and pubs so close by the hotel itself is brilliant used as a base for a special occasion.
Word of warning we booked this through a well known internet web site which said club rooms had been reduced from £2500 to £268 for the two nights - don't think so !!

midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Whilst this holiday has an excellent location for theatres and covent garden, the facilities and room were very disappointing. Much will dependent on the location of you room. On arrival at three o'clock our room was not available though we were given a voucher for free tea/coffee and we were able to put our luggage into a room and we went out to investigate the area. Our club room on the 8th floor was very small. The bathroom was tiny, small bath under shower impossible to stretch out and I am quite short. It lookes grubby and hairs in the bath, yuk! Bed very soft, pillows were truly awful, slept badly mainly because of the discomfort and constant drone from who knows where sounded like noisy air conditioning but no air con in room so unable to turn off, should have asked for a different room.Work with a stiff neck.
Breakfast was mediocre, good choice but quality poor. Would prefer smaller section of higher standard, mass produced sliced bread for toast was not the most appetising.Overall, will not be returning.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I booked the 'top of the range' Executive King room for my 3 night stay.

The room itself was a very good size (although the wardrobe was very small indeed and there was only just enough room for my clothes so I am glad I wasn't sharing).

The Executive King rooms come with a long list of 'benefits' stated in the hotel blurb so I will address them one by one:

"Plush Bed with wall-mounted reading lights"
The bed was ENORMOUS. If you like a firm bed you will be happy - but I do mean extremely firm, as in an ironing board!! I have an orthopaedic bed at home that looks soft and fluffy at the side of the hotel one! (Sadly this was the only ironing board in the room! No trouser press or iron/ ironing board in the room, which would have been nice. However housekeeping explained to me that there are ironing rooms on certain floors of the hotel and that you can request an iron and ironing board for your room and might get one if they are available.) The pillows are a real let down - they look great but actually are those very cheap ones that are filled with little chunks of sponge and collapse the minute you put your head on them, providing no support whatsoever.

"Complimentary high speed wireless internet access"
Yes - but you have to know what you've paid for in your room booking! I logged onto wifi and needed a code to get onto the hotels wifi service. Rang reception and she said she would give me a code and the service would be free for the first half an hour and after that I would need to pay. It was only when I reminded her that in the executive room the wifi access is free for the whole stay that she said oh yes I will set you up with that then. So just make sure you know what's included in your package.

"Free movies"
I didn't use this because when I asked how to get the free movies, reception said that it would go onto my bill as 'pay per view' but then if I reminded them when I checked out they would take it off the bill. I didn't do this because I wanted to use the express checkout service (where you pay for your room up front and just accept any extras on the bill as correct without checking out at the desk) and the 'query the cost of the films on your bill' would have prevented me from doing this. So I didn't use this service.

"In room fruit plate"
Sorry but this was a JOKE! If you are a hotel and are going to promote an 'in room fruit plate' as a benefit, please make it a good one! Or even an average one!! Especially if you are located 5 minutes away from one of the most wonderful food markets (Covent Garden) in London! My fruit plate consisted of Day One - 2 apples and a orange, rattling around on the not filled plate. I hoped for better on Day Two but alas no - Day Two brought just two lonely apples (one of which was fit only for the bin) sitting forlornly in the middle of the plate. Day Three? Back to two apples and an orange.... (yes, we have no bananas! Or grapes or kiwi fruit or,,,,,) So please don't get excited about the fruit plate.....!

"Turndown service"
Having stayed in the hotel for three nights, I have absolutely no idea what this is as nothing happened!

"Choice of luxury toiletries"
There was what looked like a nice selection of (unbranded) toiletries in the bathroom - very pretty looking colourful tubes of shower gel. However the first one I started to use smelled so vile I got out of the shower, dripping, to go and get my own shower gel that I had thankfully brought from home. It smelled so bad I wondered if it had 'gone off' or something. Don't know if I had just got a rogue bottle of shower gel but I don't think so - took the tops off the others and they smelled vile too, The hand soap was lovely though - very soft and smelled of lemon verbena. But no I wouldn't call these luxury toiletries - bring your own shampoo and shower gel!

"Bathrobes and slippers"
Yes, two lots of each and very good quality, nice white fluffy soft, heavy duty, snuggly, just what they should be so full marks for those.

"i-pod docking station"
Yes, a nice addition to the room. Not remote control but totally fit for purpose and a good idea.

"Long wooden desk area with Plasma TV"
Hmm, the plasma TV. Well yes it's a plasma TV but clearly not a great one - the colour and picture quality left a lot to be desired. Also you have to press about 9 options just to get to BBC1 ! Nice that it was wall mounted. Disappointing that in the 21st century the only Sky channel available on freeview was Sky 1....
The wooden desk is just a basic desk - fit for purpose, nothing much more to say really.

"In-room safes"
The in room safe is excellent - small but big enough to hold my laptop, iphone etc and easy to work. Made me feel reassured about leaving valuables in the room - top marks for that.

"24-hour room service"
I had one room service meal and it was pretty good - obviously pricey for what it was, but that's room service for you. But it was delivered quickly and was well cooked etc. The room service menu is very limited but that's understandable as the hotel is surrounded by eateries and supermarkets. However there's enough of a choice on there for everyone, so no complaints.

So what else?

Location:
Well - the location of the hotel is a major plus - it's literally 5 minutes walk to Covent Garden, the Lyceum Theatre is just around the corner, it's perhaps 10 or 15 minutes walk to many more of the main sightseeing and shopping areas of central London. Of course such a central location means it can be noisy (traffic and passers by) so take earplugs! But if you want to be able to walk around London it's perfect

No air conditioning:
This has been well documented in other reviews and it's a big old problem for the hotel. I stayed here once in the summer and would never ever do it again!! There is a desk fan in every room but no air conditioning, not even in the exec rooms - so you have been warned. And you can't open the windows, even by a fraction. So you have been warned!

Service:
I found the service to be very good - everyone I came into contact with or asked for help of some sort - housekeeping, front desk, concierge, doormen, room service, restaurant - were very helpful and professional. No complaints at all.

The Strand Carvery restaurant/ breakfast:
My room rate included breakfast and it is very good. You can choose from continental breakfast, cereal, toast and full english (black pudding, sausages, eggs, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms) - it's all self service and if you wanted you could have the lot and eat until you pop! All the breakfast food I had was very nice indeed. It's worth booking the room rate that includes the breakfast as I think it's quite expensive to pay for the breakfast separately.
I had dinner in the Strand Carvery one evening. The carvery meal is good value (£16 for two courses) and again it's self service - the starter is a salad bar and the main is a carvery where the chef will carve your choice of roast (turkey, lamb or beef on the night I had it) and then you serve your own potatoes and vegetables. There was a good selection of veg, all fresh rather than frozen or tinned, and again you could have a generously portioned meal for a pretty good price. Of course the hotel is competing with the surrounding restaurants and this is in your favour!

Room:
As mentioned above the room was a very good size but with a teeny wardrobe. Very clean and fit for purpose although lack of air conditioning really lets it down. I was surprised that in an 'Executive' room there was no ironing board, and also no mini bar (not that I ever have anything out of a hotel mini bar but they are quite handy to put your own stuff in as a little fridge as there's usually a bit of space for a small bottle of fresh milk! ). The room felt okay rather than luxurious and (as above)

Price:
This hotel is very reasonably priced when you compare 'like for like' with other hotels in the area. However, there's a reason why it's cheaper and I think the main one is lack of air con!!! But if you are wanting a stay over in the cooler months in a great location it's worth considering. But please note - I have in the past stayed in one of their 'Standard' rooms - never never again and would not recommend to anyone else. So yes, I would stay in an Executive room again here but not in anything of a lower grade in this hotel !!

Express checkout:
A very good service. I woke up on my final morning and the itemised bill had been pushed under the door during the early hours. All I had to do was check it, sign it and post it (in the envelope provided) along with my room key, into a 'Checkout' box on the reception desk. Really good idea and saved a lot of time on the final morning.

Overall - little things (like really cheap and nasty pillows and toiletries and the pathetic fruit plate) that could easily be fixed by the hotel meant my stay was okay rather than great. However the service and the people are lovely here, the food is good, and the location is excellent. Overall good value for money, bring your own pillows (!!) and a travel iron, and only stay in the Executive rooms. Oh and unless you don't mind being too hot, only stay in the cool winter months!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Strand Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!