“When a hotel is this good, why pay so much more for so little extra?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Strand Palace Hotel

You added Strand Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Strand Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   372 Strand, London WC2R 0JJ, England (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)   |
Special Offer
Free Travelcard
Ranked #356 of 1,065 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“When a hotel is this good, why pay so much more for so little extra?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I admit I had fairly low expectations for my stay at the Strand Palace Hotel. Just look at how much it costs to stay here per night versus neighbouring hotels - most hotels are at least double the price. I was expecting an average experience, but I couldn't have been more pleased with my stay.
The hotel is just a few minutes walk down the Strand from Charing Cross tube, opposite the Savoy. The first surprise: being greeted by a doorman on arrival. Then into the smart and bustling lobby area, with its concierge, luggage desk and information points, rack of free magazines and newspapers, meeting areas and aquaria. The receptionist was very friendly and check-in was swift.
The hotel is BIG, so when you get out of the lift on your floor, do take notice of the maps of the rooms next to the lift.
The room (single club) was of average size, but spotlessly clean with modern furnishings and Rothko-style prints, TV, hospitality tray, hairdryer, safe and fan (no air conditioning). The bathroom was also spotless, with Duck Island toiletries and a decent-sized shower cubicle.
I recommend getting a rate that includes breakfast. The breakfast service ran like a well-oiled machine, despite the breakfast room being very busy at all times. The hot breakfast dishes were of good quality (no economy sausages here) and were replenished quickly.
The only real negative was the lifts - they seemed to operate to some sort of random sequence. Still, it broke the ice with the other guests as we placed bets on which lift was actually going to stop at our floor!
Check-out was also friendly and swift.
I think this is going to be my go-to hotel in London. The previous weekend, I paid 2.5 times as much at a hotel that wasn't half as good. Try it, I think you'll be pleased with the value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I only had 2 days in London so I did not want to waste time travelling on public transport getting to my destination. The Strand Hotel is smack bang in the centre. if you enjoy going to see shows, well they are all in walking distance. the hotel is clean, the staff is friendly an helpful if you are after assistance in getting to locations. The room i had was small (but after saying that it was bigger than I expected from the photos I seen). I paid 340 pounds for 2 nites ($560 AUD) breakfast included an free wifi. Considering that June is classified as peak I personally think it was great value for money for what I got an the location I was at!

Room Tip: I had the club single room an it was definitely big enough for me an my oversized samsonite suitcase...
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Although not the fanciest hotels in London it is comfortable and affordable. I received great service, arriving at 8am and getting a room straight away at no extra charge. I had made a mistake when booking my room and had booked a single bed rather than single occupancy – they upgraded me to a bigger room for a small charge.

The room was clean and comfortable. I stayed in a room on the Strand side and even though it was on the 7th floor there was still quite a lot of road noise. If available, I would see if there is something at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the Strand
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having stayed in London numerous times over the years, I approach each stay with some cynicism, having been overwhelmed by reception areas many times only to be underwhelmed by the rest of the stay. I am happy to say that this time was completely different. I was travelling alone, had asked for a quiet room on an upper floor, which is what I received, and had got a good rate booking via the hotel's own website. They are renovating, as it states on the website, but this had no impact on me whatsoever. The bedroom and bathroom were functional, comfortable and squeaky clean. The staff were all really helpful and pleasant; a particular mention here to the doorman who answered all my questions, including the less obvious ones. The location is excellent for a tourist. I didn't try out the restaurants so can't comment on those. My only slight niggle is that the atmosphere in the breakfast room was rather frantic and this wasn't conducive to a calm start to the day, although if I'd had a breakfast companion I might not have noticed that.
I felt very much at home and will most definitely stay at this hotel again, if the price is right.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Arrived to the hotel and immediately loved it, great location, central and very clean.
Things get less great when having your breakfast where most of staffs and waiters are not great in English (weird for a hotel of this standing)...you have to explain yourself more than once...
The housekeeping manager on duty (a certain "Lovejet") has a sense of sarcasm less than acceptable where every argument you have is turned into a sort of mokery... Held myself from screaming at him and letting him discover MY sense of humour...and/or sarcasm...
My wife, our friend and I think the hotel can do better in training their staff and teaching their managers true sense of customer service and maybe they will understand that the next customer could be less patient than I was...
Overall, good hotel, but can do better...

KINGSON UPON HULL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is in a great situation and service was first class room I have been in better but very clean and comfortable but have to say £190 for one night was to much rather annoyed to find here that people have payed £145 but food good and service spot on just not worth the amount charged

Colne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went with a friend for a belated 50th birthday treat and to see The Lion King (oh and to see my daughter who lives in London). Stayed at the Strand Palace for 2 nights with breakfast for £75 each per night. When we arrived we had been upgraded at no cost to a King Size twin, lovely room, lots of space, nice bathroom with plenty of toiletries and spares.

Staff friendly and the breakfasts were really good (busy restaurant but plenty of food). We were so near everything (theatre, Covent Garden, Liz's pad up the road with the fancy gates and uber big house, the Thames etc etc). My friend hasn't been for 18 years and was agog! Would definitely stay at this Hotel again, so central and actually for the location we thought it was really good value and great to get the upgrade (no idea why!).

The only reason I'm not giving it a 5 is that had a couple of nights of slightly disturbed sleep by the coughing, sneezing, snorting man in a room nearby...not the fault of the hotel but just made me a bit more tired than I would have liked to have been!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Strand Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!