“A fab stay at the Strand” 5 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #386 of 1,058 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
ESSEX
“A fab stay at the Strand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

My friend and always stay here as its a fantastic hotel. It's clean, central to all the theatres , and shopping .the food in the Carvery is the best ever. Only one small thing, the rooms are very warm , but its such a great hotel we can cope with that. I have stayed here by myself and always feel safe.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank theosmonds

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is a good London hotel...busy, clean, good amenities. Single room small but had all I needed. Great location. Waking distance to covent garden, theatre district and embankment. I would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012
Okehampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I needed to spend a Saturday night in London but didn't want to pay a fortune for a hotel room as I would only be in it for a few hours. My criteria were that the hotel should be in central London, close to at least one tube station, and of good, reliable quality. So I settled on the Strand Palace Hotel and booked one of their Club Rooms. This is a single room, with a single bed and a small ensuite bathroom.

My room was on the 6th floor and was perfectly adequate. It was compact, and I might have found it slightly claustrophobic if I'd spent several nights in it, but it was fine for a single night. I was startled to discover that I would have to pay if I wanted to watch the TV or use the wi-fi, so I didn't bother with either and read my book instead.

The single bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. However, the room was pretty warm and I couldn't do much about that as the window was already open and there was no air conditioning unit to adjust. Apart from that, it was fine and I expect I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room when I booked online and was given a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hemet, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The first time I stayed here was in 2006 and it was not the best hotel but I loved the location! We chose to stay there again in September 2012 because of the location to the undergorund, Covent Gardens, theatres, shops, river and attractions. We were SO pleased with the hotel! It has been totally renovated. Great front desk service, concierge and the rooms were very nice. Fantastic experience, we will be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my th stay at Strand and I 've noticed several renovations made in the interior. Breakfast was excellent as always, though the hall is a bit crowded at about 9 o clock.
The hotel is superbly situated close to Soho, Covent Garden and the South Bank, so one just walks around. Also, bus stops are just across the street.

Room Tip: Cheap rooms do not enjoy street view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times before as it is close to Royal Festival hall and is the cheapest room for a single traveller. I had booked this time through Londontown.com whoes printed instructions to the hotel were "charges due on departure". At checkin they insisted on taking the full amount for my two day stay! The room was on the 4th floor. It had loose tiles on the bathroom floor and as I found out later on the radiator did not work. The room was not serviced during my stay. During my last stay at this hotel I had complained that the lifts were not stopping at my floor. Nothing had changed on this stay as I stood at the lifts on the 4th floor and watched them go by without stopping. I walked the short walk to the stairs only to find it busy with people walking down all complaining that the lifts were not stopping.
Breakfast at this hotel in good. If you are travelling to this hotel and are looking forward to a nice traditional british pint of beer you will be seriously disappointed! The two main bars do not do pints of beer.If you want a beer they have a limited choice of bottle beers and have the cheak to charge you more that what a pint would cost. Not a hotel for a lads weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
COPENHAGEN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm staying in this hotel that have sold me a room without a view ( with scaffolding) and forgot to tell me that thry wake me up from 7 oclock with a chainsaw outside my window!! They a renovating the hotel.
The bad service in reception offers me a different room for an extra 30 pounds or move me to a room next door ( what should that help ?)
Thats BAD service and I will never return to this hotel. My company that have used this hotel for several years will also be told that we need to find a new place when traveling.
One thing is to be misled by the description of the room on their webpage, another thing is that they dont offer to help me out on a day where the hotel is not full anywhere.
I will never stay here again neither will my company. I stayed here 5-6 times before and been fairly happy)!!!
Think about that !!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank THOMASCPH
DavidMacrae, General Manager at Strand Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

As shown clearly on our website, we are undergoing works to the exterior of the hotel, thus we charge reduced rates for rooms which have scaffolding outside them. I would point out however that any works near these rooms do not start until 0900 and are completed by 1600 each day. It is regrettable you will not be staying with us again, however I would also point out to other readers that chainsaws and work at 0700 in the morning as you state, are complete exaggeration. London is dark at 0700 in the morning and you don't use a chainsaw to refurbish a 100 year old building.

Regards,