“quite nice hotel, good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Strand Palace Hotel

You added Strand Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Strand Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   372 Strand, London WC2R 0JJ, England (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)   |
Special Offer
Free Travelcard
Ranked #358 of 1,066 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Exeter
“quite nice hotel, good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

We chose this hotel with a theatre deal. It was conveniently located in "theatre land" and next to convent gardens. We travelled up on a coach to victoria station and it is about half an hour walk from there but its an interesting walk past big ben ect. The hotel is absolutley huge with a large reception and seating area and restaraunt. Our room (once we had found it) was a twin it was very nice and a decent size with a clean bathroom. The staff were very helpful and in the morning we had a buffet breakfast which included a lovely cooked breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Liked — nice room and yummy breakfast
  • Disliked — hard to find room hotel is so big
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Turkish first
east ayrshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

Excellent location for theatre breaks. Staff were friendly and helpfull. Room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Breakfast had good choice and service was first class even when very busy. Pre theatre meal was good value for money. My only critisism was that the room we were given faced the front and was a bit noisy. I would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again if visting this location in the future.

John and Rebecca, East Ayrshire

Stayed January 2008
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

I booked direct with the hotel which was my first mistake. The price of £118 compared to £59 which I later found on the internet.

The check in was incredibly slow. Each transaction took ages and I had to wait over 10 minutes despite the fact that there was only one person ahead of me.

My room was tiny and had a single bed which was a cheek given the price I had paid.

Check out was again very slow. Which hotel has just one check out staff on duty at 8am?!

It's obviously a popular hotel with tourists and its central location is its only saving grace.

Stayed January 2008
Wokingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

We wanted somewhere to stay for one night as we were going to the Opera House and the convenience of the Strand Palace was perfect. We approached the booking with a little trepidation as we have both lived in London and up to relatively recently the Strand Palace had the reputation of being tired and run down. I am pleased to say that we were pleasantly surprised.

We had booked a Club King room through a very good offer from the hotel's own website. The room was on the eighth floor and was small but spotlessly clean; the bed was extremely comfortable and the situation quiet. The biggest criticism would be that it was hot even with the radiator off. The breakfast was very good and efficient despite being busy. A plus point was that service continued until 10:30 am which was lovely because we weren't in a rush. The staff we came across in our short stay were pleasant and friendly.

I would recommend the hotel for convenience and efficiency.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Hot bedroom
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hythe, Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

The Strand Palace was a short walk from Charing Cross Station. We stayed for 1 night for a theatre break. The location was exceptional. We walked into the hotel 2 hours early for check in as our train was early and they managed to check us in straight away. The hotel staff were so helpful and made us feel welcome when we arrived. The lobby and reception area was very posh but as you get to the 5th floor where we stayed, it turned a bit the opposite of the lobby but nevertheless still very clean.

We got to our room to find it very clean and tidy. We had a huge bathroom which was nice and it was ever so clean. We dumped our bags and off we went out and about.

Check out was very easy the next day and the concierge kindly kept our bags for us for a small £2 fee whilst we headed around London again before we went home.

I couldn't fault this hotel. We will stay here again!

• Liked — Close to everything and very clean and tidy.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

This is a very well located hotel close to several tube stations, numerous restaurants, theatres and many of central London's main tourist attractions. Stay here and you will find plenty to do within easy walking distance and in a busy and generally safe and unthreatening area.

I was booked into this hotel by my employer's travel agent. However this is most definitely not a business hotel nor really set up to deal with those on business. Rooms are small with no space to work, wireless internet access was (in typical London fashion) expensive and there are no fitness facilities.

The lobby is well lit and the concierges and reception staff friendly. It was generally busy with lots of tour groups. My room was on the 9th (and top) floor and was a club single. The corridors on the floor were in need of renovation - the paint work chipped and scuffed and the carpets covered in black tape (presumably to hide holes). My room was clean with faux modern simple furnishings. It was a single and very small. There was no view from the window and wooden sliding shutters rather than curtains. I did not see a standard room but really wasn't sure that other than the inroom safe (which frankly should come as standard in any 3* plus hotel in London) and a bottle of water, what justified the 30 pounds extra a night. It was also claimed that club rooms had plasma tvs - well if a small flat screen LCD tv counts as that I'm not sure that is an accurate description!

My room was quiet (I had no other guest rooms on one side and the bathroom of the neighbouring room on the other. But it was stuffy and hot. Even with the radiator turned off (in January!) and the window open enough to let in air but not the rain it was stuffy. There is no a/c and I can imagine in the summer this would be rather an unpleasant room.

When compared to other hotels I have reviewed in London I think this fares favourably. The setting is excellent but the rooms and guest amenities do not match those of the Radisson Kenilworth. But I'd probably set the Strand Palace ahead of the Russell and definitely ahead of the Jolly St Ermin.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — standard of club rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

This hotel is in a prime location. Walking distance to nearly all attraction, 2 min walk to tube and bus stop is across the street. room is a bit small but clean and cozy. Staff are extremely friendly, I did not like my first room so they gave me keys to 2 other rooms to choose from. On christmas eve I arrived to my room and found a big hazlenut chocolate bar and a bottle of red wine complementry from the hotel. Food in the hotel is excellent and concierge service is awsome. I will definetely go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Strand Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!