“poor” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St Martins Lane London Hotel

You added St Martins Lane London Hotel to your Saves list
St Martins Lane London Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 St Martin's Lane, London WC2N 4HX, England (Leicester Square / Shaftesbury Avenue)   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #92 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London
“poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I stayed here with my partner for a birthday treat for him. I called up the hotel 2 weeks prior to our visit to advise the staff it was my partners birthday and if they could arrange a card and possibly a cake. When we arrived, the receptionist was friendly but not obliging. I asked if we could upgrade and she said she did. The super friendly bell boy showed us to our room but when entering the room, it was a standard (originaly what I booked) not an upgrade. There was no cake, no card and no champagne, which I requested. Our first nite was very noisy as the aircon in our room seemed to have a problem, we woke up feeling very tired due to a sleepness nite because of the noise from the aircon. Breakfast at the hotel was decent but pricey and the staff are moody and didnt seem to care wheather we waited for 20 miutes for someone to take our order. Never the less...the room was clean and a good size. The hotel is in a good location and the hotel itself is ultra modern. After a bad experience and a great big bill to pay at the end of it all, it is safe to say I wont be staying here again!!! its a shame, if the staff were more accomdating it could have changed my mind. But the money I spent here I rather spend it at another hotrel we stayed at year before last and they couldnt do more for me and my partner on his birthday....that is what I call money well spent.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
NeilMcMillan, Director of Rooms at St Martins Lane London Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2010
We’re so disappointed and sorry that we let you both down on such a special occasion. There’s no excuse when you had contacted us in advance and sorry that we dropped the ball. We always look to extend a comp upgrade whenever availability allows to celebrate our guests’ birthdays, anniversaries, etc. , and we should have been more attentive on the day. We take any service failure very seriously and we will be discussing your feedback to determine how it happened and more importantly how we can stop it happening again. If you do feel able to offer us a second chance, please contact me direct so that I may personally oversee your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Hebrew first
Belfast, NI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I've stayed before at Morgans Group Hotels, first at the Hudson in New York, and once before at St Martin's Lane. It was because of previous experiences that I wanted to stay there again when I visited London last month.

Previous reviews give a fair assessment of the hotel itself - brilliantly located, clean and comfortable, with a style which is still unusual but getting a little old ten years on. But the compilation CD (vol 4 when I stayed there) in the hotel room comes highly recommended - buy it!

I did however have two concerns about my latest stay. First, I booked through a promotional email I received from Morgans Group in January (as I was on their mailing list from my previous stays), which was billed as 'London Calling' rate and offered free breakfasts each night of your stay. The confirmation email did state that I was booked under the 'London Calling' rate, but when I asked at the hotel, I was told that my rate did not include breakfast. As breakfast at the hotel - quite delicious - costs £23 (or £46 for the two nights I was staying), this is no small disappointment.

I raised this issue on the email survey which was sent to me after my stay, and asked for a response, but two weeks later, I have not heard anything back.

The second issue is that like many hotels, St Martins Lane requires a card to be registered at reception when checking in. I used my current account debit card. After settling the bill on departure, I was alarmed to get home and discover that the hotel was still holding a charge of £705 on my card. Not only did this far exceed the cost of my stay (which had in any event already been deducted from my account), but it meant that until I sorted it out, I had no available balance in my current account. It took some nine telephone calls - three to my bank and six to the hotel - to get this sorted out; it turns out that their system does not handle debit cards well and that if I had used a credit card, the charge held would have been released once I paid my bill. The staff at check-in, apparently, should have spotted this and asked me to use a credit card instead.

The staff at the hotel's finance department were courteous but did make a mistake with the authorisation code when faxing my bank to have the charge removed, which delayed the release of the charge by another day. Although I asked, I was never given an explanation for the amount held. (Even the £150 deposit stated in the terms, together with my two nights' tariff, would not have amounted to £705.) All in all I was disappointed by this, and left temporarily without funds, and for these reasons I would not currently consider returning to Morgan Group.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for highlighting and recommending our CD, we’re pleased that you enjoy the music. It’s disappointing if there has been any miscommunication on the rates and breakfast, and we’ll be investigating this in line with your survey feedback. Guest feedback is hugely important to us and we therefore ask our guests to complete a confidential survey following departure which is overseen by an external company on our behalf. We then respond to our guests once the survey is forwarded to the hotel and we have an opportunity to investigate any concerns. Many apologies that the debit card vs credit card issue was not noted on arrival and that the pre-authorisation process was not explained in more detail. This will be discussed with the Front Desk team and sorry we let you down. We do hope the location, comfort and style will encourage you to return for a 3rd stay and please contact me at that time.
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I work in London at least 4 to 5 times a year, spending 1 week to 10 days each trip. Since 2007 I always stay at San Martins Lane. It is an elegant, cozy, trendy, interesting place to be.
The fitness is at the Gym Box, just beside the hotel, a truly complete training place.
The restaurant Asia de Cuba serves excelent food and you always can see beotifull around.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
We’re delighted that we are your home away from home, that makes our spirits soar! Hope you are also enjoying the complimentary gym kit laundry service that we offer for our guests enjoying GymBox. We look forward to continuing to welcome you home!
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my 1 week stay here. The location is very central - next to many popular theatres and shopping areas. Service is friendly and efficient. The minimalist comtemporary decor is striking and makes clever use of space in the room. Love the little touches like the mood lighting, ipod dock and complimentary gym laundry service.
The hotel's restaurant, Asia de Cuba, has a delicious, eclectic menu with stacks of books in the column library to choose from while you eat.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
We’re really thrilled we ticked so many boxes, and that you particularly enjoyed our complimentary gym kit laundry service to enhance our guests’ complimentary experience in GymBox. Please come back soon to discover more books to go with your meals in Asia de Cuba.
Athens
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed there for four nights and we were so disappointed with what someone can expect from a five star hotel.
Starting with the public spaces there isn't actually a lobby because there is no place to sit at the lobby!
We asked to use the internet and for 10 minutes use they charged us 10 GBP!
The room was so tiny there wasn't space for our bags or anything. The curtains weren't actually blackout and we were waking up early because of the light coming in the room.
The worst of all was that despite the fact the room was prepaid they used our credit card debiting it with the amount of 630GBP!!! When we asked them to cancel it they said they will keep only 150GBP fot insurance reasons and return the rest of the amount but they never did until after we left. And you know what they were SOO RUDE with us making us feel that we are not wanted in their hotel.
Stay away. I bet there are hundreds of other good hotels in London that at least they will make you feel wellcome.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
We’re very sorry that we fell below your expectations on this visit. The Lobby does offer areas for our guests to sit and enjoy, especially around the giant chess set and by the gold teeth, however we appreciate that it is not a more traditional style. Sincere apologies also if the pre-authorisation payment process was not explained more fully on arrival, and it certainly does not excuse any less than gracious service. Such feedback is shared and discussed with the team to ensure we learn from, and proactively address, any service issue. We hope you won’t stay away but allow us an opportunity to demonstrate our core values in a positive manner and please contact me when you have made a future reservation.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

My cousin and I went to London to see Chelsea vs. Manchester City. We wanted a hotel near attractions and with a close by tube stop to help get us to the match. After some searching I discovered St. Martins Lane Hotel. What most drew us to this hotel was that it offered a room with two queen size beds. And if any of you have traveled in Europe, you know that two queen sized beds in a room means there would be no other room to move around in. Not so this. We had a very large corner room with two walls being nothing but windows (granted we didn't have much of a view, but the natural light was welcomed). A very large bathroom with separate shower and tub. Korres bath products. There is, however, no door (though there is a door to the commode). The room was all white with two desks, tv, dvd/cd player and dock for mp3 player. Two of the window walls crack open so you can get some air if needed. Beds were comfortable. Very satisfied with the room. The St. Martins' is more of a hip, modern hotel with funky designs in the lobby, a hip lounge filled with beautiful people on Friday and Saturday night and a very good restaurant. Excellent for singles, couples. Probably not the best for young children, but wouldn't rule it out. The hotel is steps from Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, Portrait Gallery, and all the theatres. Very short walk to British Museum, Piccadilly Circus, and Bond Street. Two tube stops nearby, so rest of the city is minutes away. Also plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby. We stayed three nights and had a great experience at this hotel. Only flaw we found was the concierge wasn't of much help and he didn't seem to care. Front desk staff were excellent and we got good pub tips from the bell hop. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for such a detailed review, we really do appreciate your great comments which perfectly capture the style and design of the hotel and surrounding areas. We’d love to welcome you back for a return match at Chelsea!
armagh northern ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

stayed here for 2 nights with my wife and another couple and have very mixed feelings about this hotel.the plus side was location which was excellent.the hotel was clean and the reception staff and breakfast staff were friendly.sadly we had more downsides . the room was very small.......and yes i have stayed in london many times and the prices they charge in the bar was ridiculous.. that is after they allow you to enter !! .everything about this hotel for me was very prentious and if i am honest i felt uncomfortable staying here .overall i would not stay here again .

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
We’re really sorry to note that the pluses did not quite outweigh the minuses and it’s particularly disappointing that you did not feel at ease with us, despite the location and friendliness. Residents always have priority for the bar, however as there is a guest list for non-residents when availability allows, we recommend presenting the privilege card for priority access. We do hope you will consider giving us a second chance and please contact me at that time to oversee your stay.

Been to St Martins Lane London Hotel? Share your experiences!