“Not What It Used to Be” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Landmark London

You added The Landmark London to your Saves list
The Landmark London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Marylebone Road, London NW1 6JQ, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #89 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not What It Used to Be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This used to be out "go to" hotel in London for 20 years - we stayed once or twice a year, and we regularly sent our friends and colleagues there - we are still in the Eclub. The location is great and the experience was always wonderful - typified by great service where any problem could get resolved.
Standards have dropped - especially service - and the hotel is now tired, grubby at the edges, and things just go wrong and don't get fixed. We twice complained, filled in their surveys, asked to be contacted - but nothing happens - all i can guess is that they prefer their transient trade in the WinterGarden and don't value returning guests.
We moved to the Churchill - not far away - which is a Park Hyatt. The club level there is everything we used to like about the Landmark - great building, nice atmosphere, outstanding service, and great location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your most recent stay with us.

Naturally I was disappointed to learn that this visit did not meet your expectations, and that you left our hotel not entirely satisfied with your overall stay.

I was concerned to learn, in particular, that you have left us feedback on several occasions, and that no-one has come back to you. This is most unusual, and I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your stay – as a loyal guest of our hotel, I would be delighted to hear more about your experience, and your suggestions for how we may improve. I can be reached at Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

Thank you once again for your genuine comments. I do hope to hear from you soon, and look forward to welcoming you back to The Landmark London in the future.

Andrew Batchelor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Room on 6 floor - housekeeping unsatisfactory. Not 5* standard. Save your money and go to 3*. We checked out early because the bed was so uncomfortable and the staff did not even offer any other room etc. I stayed here before on a different floor and the difference between the rooms is unbelievable. Terrible.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our hotel.

I would like to firstly offer my sincere apologies for not having been able to meet your expectations on this stay. I was sorry to read that you left our hotel so disappointed with your experience, and would like to assure you that your feedback has already been shared with our teams for their review.

I am sorry that you found our beds to be uncomfortable; however I am very surprised that you were not offered an alternative room during your stay. I am confident that had this issue been brought to our attention, we would have been able to find a room for you that was more suited to your needs.

As mentioned, your feedback is extremely important to us, and I would therefore welcome the opportunity to learn more about your stay. I would be grateful if you would be able to contact me directly and share a little more information. I can be reached at: Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My girlfriend & I stayed at The Landmark on 14th February for one night. It was a wonderful experience from the moment we stepped inside, we arrived very early (10am, official check-in wasn't until 2 or 3pm) however this wasn't a problem, the lovely Laetitia showed us around the hotel whilst our room was made up for us, we we're in our room by 10:15! To our surprise rose petals were placed on the bed in a heart shape with the words 'I Love You' underneath (If only I'd thought of doing that!)

The room itself was huge, having stayed at other luxury hotels in London, The Landmark offers the biggest rooms by a substantial amount, the bathroom alone is bigger than some other 5* hotel rooms in London! Our room was also placed above the pianist in the Winter Garden. He played wonderfully and you could hear it softly through the windows, beautiful.

Unfortunately we didn't dine in the Winter Garden as we had already made other plans, but from what I saw of the food and service, it looked amazing, I saw violinists playing in the evening amongst the diners which was a nice touch!

The mirror bar was thriving, service was a little slow but this didn't matter for us!
The cocktails were exquisite, definitely worth the £16 price! (We had the Kentaro & The Golden Age). However, upon paying the bill the waitress rudely stated whilst returning my card to me - 'will you be staying here long? As it's quite busy' very rude!

The spa was nice, small but pleasant, we didn't pay for any of the treatments but enjoyed the facilities regardless!

The hotel is definitely worth a special trip & is one we will visit again in the near future due to its unique approach to luxury!

Thank you all at The Landmark for making our day so special.

(Travelled as a couple, aged 21 & 22, stayed in room 439)

Room Tip: Choose a room near the pianist, you can hear him softly playing from your room! (room 439) huge bath...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, following your recent stay with us.

Your description of your time with us was such a pleasure to read, and it genuinely fills me with pride to read about the memorable experience our team were able to create for you and your girlfriend. I will be sure to personally pass on your thanks to Laetitia for her contribution to your stay.

I was pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the many facilities our hotel has to offer, including our luxurious Health Club and Spa, however I was sorry to read that your experience in our Mirror Bar did not meet your expectations, and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please be assured that we take all our guests’ feedback on board, and endeavour to learn from as much as we can. Your comments will be shared with our teams to ensure any future guests do not experience the shortfalls in service you have described.

Thank you once again for your time. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to The Landmark London in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Landmark, we enjoyed it so much, everything about it was lovely. The room was so spacious, very comfortable and beautifully furnished, in a style we really like, modern but with a definite Art Deco influence. There was a generous amount of wardrobe space and the bathroom too was very spacious with an excellent walk-in shower. We were impressed by how well and easily the air conditioning, lighting and everything worked and the sensible positioning of the controls.

The hotel is very conveniently located for access to the West End and for public transport links. In fact our room was directly across from Marylebone Station but there was none of the noise that you might expect in a city centre hotel. We made time for a walk to Little Venice and Regent’s Park which are not far away and are very pleasant.

After indulging in the afternoon tea which was a real treat we both chose fish main courses for dinner. The menu choices were all very appealing and imaginative with plenty of fish and vegetarian options and a nice selection of vegetables. We were certainly very happy with our choices. The dishes were beautifully presented and the little explanation given as they were brought to the table added to the enjoyment. In fact we found all the staff helpful, attentive and friendly in a very nice way. And the whole atmosphere of the Winter Garden is magical with its open air feel (though there are more intimate spaces as well), the gentle sound of the piano music and the lighting, particularly so at that time when day turns to evening.

The starting point for our visit had been our interest in railway history and the history of architecture and design. We were delighted to see how much of the late Victorian grandeur survives and how well it is looking. The staircase with the stained glass windows that celebrate the railway company and northern towns that it served is splendid. Breakfast in the Winter Garden was another pleasure and afterwards we took the opportunity to have another good look around and to admire the stained glass windows again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

Naturally I was delighted that you enjoyed your time with us so much, and that our team were able to make this stay so memorable for you.

We count ourselves very lucky to be in this wonderful building, with its unique history, and I am pleased that you were able to spend some time exploring everything it has to offer. The stained glass windows and our stunning glass atrium are so very popular with our guests, and it was lovely to read that you appreciated them so much.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our Afternoon Tea and the dinner you enjoyed – it is a genuine pleasure to read our guests’ thoughts about the meals they take with us, and our team will be delighted to hear them.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London, for what I am confident will be another exceptional visit.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Landmark is presented impeccably, though the greeting and service can be slightly fussy at times. It is very, very clean and well presented with quiet rooms overlooking the central cathedral space. The corridor decor is slightly odd - uni-colour and rather bland, though this is a minor point. It is very English and in an excellent location though carries a certain pretentiousness to it. Perfectly good stay, however.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to review our hotel on this website.

I was pleased to read that, overall, you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and that you found our team to be friendly and attentive. I am sorry, however, if you felt that this was a little too much on occasions, and would like to assure you that we will pass your feedback on to our teams for their review.

Thank you for your comments regarding the décor of our beautiful, historic building. We do take all our guests’ feedback on board regarding the appearance of the hotel, and review this periodically to ensure we are meeting all expectations.

I was delighted to read that our location was so well suited to your needs, and that you were able to move around this vast city easily.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Landmark London, for what I am certain will be another enjoyable experience.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

A very enjoyable three night stay at this super Hotel.
As we entered the Hotel it was like the start of the Titanic film - both doors were simultaneously opened by two smartly dressed doorman and in we came!!

All the Staff we encountered during our stay were very friendly,helpful and super efficient.
The Concierge Desk were very helpful as were the Reception Staff and Breakfast team.

The Deluxe room we had was very comfortable and restful, the room heating worked well and the marble bathroom was very good indeed with a nice deep bath,and separate power shower.
The room lighting was easy to operate ( The Mamounia,Marrakech please note!!)
We experienced no noise from adjoining rooms or problems with slamming doors!
The swimming pool was very clean and the Staff there very helpful & friendly and there are even specific times for children's swimming!! The men's steam room was good.
There is a very pleasant ambiance at this Spa.
The Breakfast is very good,with top quality fresh berries and marvellous breads,croissants and danish pastries - start the Diet when you get home!!!
Exiting the rear entrance of the Landmark and turning first right you will find buses no:453 at the Bus Stop which takes you in to Regent Street and and bus no:2 that stops right outside Selfridges! You can buy an Oyster Card for the buses and tube from Marylebone Station opposite The Landmark.
Regent's Park is also not far away and after eating Dinner in the Hotel on another evening you can also try the many varied Restaurants in Marylebone High Street,within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, General Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent three night stay with us.

What a delight to read that from the moment you arrived, our team were able to take such good care of you, and indeed provide such a warm welcome! It is always such a proud moment for me to read about the memorable experiences created for our guests, so thank you for sharing yours on this site.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort and luxury of your spacious deluxe room, and that you were able to make time to visit our superb Health Club and Spa. Our sumptuous breakfast served in the unique setting of our Winter Garden is indeed so popular amongst many of our guests, and I was glad to read that this also contributed to such an enjoyable stay for you.

I do hope indeed that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Landmark London in the near future.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the landmark for my anniversary. We were upgraded to a fantastic room . The staff had left cards and chocolates out as well as petals on bed. I loved the spa and the staff were great and we hope to come back next year.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on this website and for choosing such a special occasion to celebrate with us.

Once again, my heartiest congratulations on your anniversary! I was absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and indeed the comfort and luxury of the room you were upgraded to.

At The Landmark London we do our best to deliver memorable moments to each and every guest and I was therefore delighted to read that we were able to do just that for you.
Furthermore, I have passed on your lovely comments to our Health Club Team who will be indeed very pleased to hear of your satisfaction during your stay.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Andrew Batchelor

Been to The Landmark London? Share your experiences!