“not five star as expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Landmark London

You added The Landmark London to your Saves list
The Landmark London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Marylebone Road, London NW1 6JQ, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #93 of 1,064 Hotels in London
england
“not five star as expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

a two night break in the capital. the landmark should be one of the best
in london. The room was clean and large, but the sound from the water works from the various
rooms was verydisturbing at night. news papers failed to arrive on both days. The breakfast on the second day was dissapointing Not five star at all. Sorry Landmark but you failed on this occasion.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet outside room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent two night stay with us.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your overall experience, and that you were disturbed by noise during the night. This clearly is a matter of great concern to us, and one which requires further investigation. I should therefore be grateful if you could contact me directly with more details, via Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk.

We are usually very proud of the service we provide to our guests, and I am sorry that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations.

Once again please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having visited London on many occasions staying at the Landmark was always a dream of ours. We were offered a last minute deal through a discount travel website at an unbelievable weekend rate for bed and breakfast so decided to give it a try for a night. The hotel is undeniably beautiful both inside and out. Through our own mistake we arrived for checkin an hour early, this did not seem to be an issue but we were upsold an upgrade for an additional cost to stay in a deluxe queen room with a view of the winter garden because the room we had booked was not yet ready. As we have a toddler who was tired we agreed to the upgrade so we could have instant room access, but in retrospect I think the £30 could have been better spent elsewhere. We were shown to our room by a very pleasant member of staff who offered to show us around, but as our child was in the buggy and access around the hotel was not that straight forward we declined. The room was classically beautiful and spotlessly clean with plenty of space for myself, my wife and little boy. The view from the room was also delightful. Once our son was rested we had a walk around the building ending up at the spa and swimming pool where a lovely gentleman showed us around the facilities. It did perplex me that we were required to spend an additional £15 per person in order to have use of the swimming pool. I would expect the use of all recreational facilities to be included within the price of a room at any 5* establishment, surely? Never the less our son was very disappointed, but I really couldn't justify paying £45 for what would be a maximum of an hours swim (because our child would get too cold after that period) which was limited to certain times of the day when with children. Having retired to bed early, we woke up excited to sample the breakfast. We were not disappointed, as there was a great selection of continental breakfast foods as well as a wide range hot a la carte dishes to order. My wife particularly enjoyed sampling the foods on offer as did our son and the surroundings were peaceful and elegant. On the whole the staff were pleasant, but to varying degrees. We had the option to have a late checkout at 4pm, but chose to leave early as we had a long journey ahead. Overall I did enjoy my stay, but I think my expectations of this grand hotel did fall short in terms of fully enjoying the facilities it had to offer.

Room Tip: Check in at the right time to avoid up selling for room upgrades.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Whilst the impression received from your comments is overall a positive one, I am sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

I do apologise that we did not have a room ready for you on arrival – we always endeavour to meet any such requests, however as I am sure you will appreciate this is not always possible. I am glad that there was someone available to show you around both your room and our stunning Health Club and Spa, and that your wife and son enjoyed our plentiful breakfast so much.

Our swimming pool is an integral part of our Health Club & Spa facility, and in fact this is a private members club. In order to maintain a degree of exclusivity for our members, we do charge a nominal fee for use of the facilities for our hotel guests, however I am sorry if this was not outlined to you prior to arrival. I do hope that this did not prove to be too much of any inconvenience during your stay.

I hope that you and your family will allow us another opportunity to make a future trip in London a memorable one, and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Landmark is a very impressive hotel with beautiful rooms, a wonderful Spa and lovely bars but we have to say we were left disappointed with a number of things that simple weren't up to the standard you would expect. Firstly the coffee served in the room is only Nescafe instant which is not what you expect in a 5* hotel so we ordered room service coffee and this was very weak and had to be sent back. The controls for operating the bath / shower didn't have any instructions and were stuck so we ending up getting a shower and bath at the same time! We also found that one of the bottles of hand lotion was half used which shows the bathroom hadn't been properly cleaned. Lastly we ordered a paper for the morning which didn't arrive and we had to go and pick it up. These are things you might accept in a Travelodge but not in one of the best hotels in London!

Dear Guest,

I am deeply disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We take all our guest feedback very seriously, and we were disheartened to learn that you did not enjoy the amenities in our rooms, and were not offered assistance with the technical aspects of it.

I have investigated the matters raised, and would like to assure you that all relevant action will be taken to prevent any of the issues you have mentioned recurring.

We do appreciate all our guests’ feedback, as this is the only way we have to truly measure and continuously improve the service we provide to our guests.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove to you the standards of service our guests have come to expect from us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I decided to propose to my girlfriend this year so I planned a special weekend including a stay at The Landmark hotel. I left my special requests quite last minute but the concierge was still more than happy to support every request to the letter! Everything went perfectly and to top it all off, she said yes!!!! :-D

This was the best 5 star experience I've ever had. From the moment we were greeted at the front doors to the moment we left every member of staff we came into contact with was at the top of their game! our room was lovely and big with elegent furnishings and decor. We ordered room service and the food was cooked to perfection! We sampled some fantastic cocktails in the Mirror Bar and breakfast in the Winter Garden was 10 out of 10 with an extra point for the mini eggs benedict and blueberry pancakes!

All of the members of staff made this weekend so special for me and my 'now' my fiancé! I cant thank them enough!

I think it is safe to say we will be returning at our earliest opportunity!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us, and please do accept my congratulations on behalf of the entire team here at The Landmark.

I am delighted that you chose to spend such a special time with us, and that the weekend went so well. Our team work hard to ensure all our guests’ experiences are memorable, and none more so on such momentous occasions. I am so pleased we were able to accommodate any last minute requests, and that all the food and drinks that your enjoyed during your stay were also so well received.

Thank you once again for allowing us to be a part of your special day. I very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome both you and your fiancée back to The Landmark London in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Tacky!! If you like violet and purple with airport lounge music this might be your thing! Really disenchanted by the whole experience, went through a maze of corridors to get there, the inverted mirror logo at the entrance is horrendous and the whole place lacks any character whatsoever, the kind of bar you would expect at a Holiday Inn but prices you wouldn't even expect from a decent 5 Star hotel! Dull, dull, dull!!!

3 Peronis and 3 House Red Wine by the Glass for 91GBP (also hidden VAT and service charges which is just cheeky)------ Enough Said!!

Room Tip: Look at the menu, At least 13.75 GBP for a glass of house wine
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Landmark_London, Manager at The Landmark London, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this website, following your recent visit to our Mirror Bar.

I am deeply sorry that you seem not to have enjoyed your experience with us, and that you feel that the beverages served did not represent good value for money.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you. Should you wish to do so, please do contact me directly at: Hotel.Manager@thelandmark.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business, choosing it purely for location/proximity to the rail stations.

This is supposed to be one of the premier hotels in central London (famous for it's courtyard restaurant). It is extremely well appointed with meticulous, serene public areas and very helpful staff. It's a traditional 'railway' hotel, purpose built - so the rooms are spacious etc.

If your'e walking here, the hotel is on the far side of one of London's busiest roads (so not a pretty locale) and it's approximately 15-20mins from Oxford street (shopping) and next door to Marylebone station (for the tube). The entrance to the front of the hotel is via narrow taxi lane...which seemed rather precarious.

Check in was smooth and I was given a room at the back on the 3rd floor - a long walk from the elevators. First impression when getting out of the elevators was the very, very strong smell of cigarette smoke. It's illegal to smoke indoors in the UK but some hotels are allowed to maintain rooms for smokers (a legal loophole). Which is frankly ludicrous as is in this case the smell/smoke permeates through the entire floor. Regardless of any other aspect of the hotel this was enough to make me think 'never again' before I'd even reached my room.

The room was huge and spacious, almost to the point of being silly. Seemed very clean and well appointed. Bathroom was enormous and probably needed some furniture to fill the huge floor space. The decor is not cutting edge and perhaps even a little dated. It's a regal style they are going for with lots of heavy fabric and dark furniture. The bed was super comfortable and importantly the room was quiet despite being above the station.

I didn't eat in the hotel - plenty of great restaurants on Baker Street. And didn't have time to use the gym etc. But as mentioned my entire impression of the property was dented by the stench of cigarette smoke and so wouldn't return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked hotel in advance through excellent LHW member deal. Service and hospitality were impeccable from early arrival to late departure with all needs and more considered and efficiently addressed. Suite was peaceful, spotless and tastefully appointed. Brief personal tour of hotel on arrival (if required) to facilitate orientation. Superb spa treatment and care enabled unlimited use of pool - just another example of attention to detail which made the difference. Extensive buffet breakfast and hot alternatives available in comfortable, bright Winter Garden until 11:30am - an unexpected treat with attentive, capable staff. Immediate proximity to Marylebone Station made access to City meetings short and sweet. Alas an all too brief stay. Will definitely consider returning for Sunday Lunch with children.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time spent with us so much, and that our team were able to make this stay a memorable one. All our team members work tirelessly to ensure our guests’ needs are anticipated and met, and they will be only too pleased to receive your comments.

I very much look forward to welcoming you and indeed your family back to The Landmark London in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Landmark London? Share your experiences!