“Great Location for a Visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amba Hotel Charing Cross

You added Amba Hotel Charing Cross to your Saves list
Amba Hotel Charing Cross
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Strand, London WC2N 5HX, England (Formerly Charing Cross Hotel) (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Alexandria, VA
“Great Location for a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed at the hotel over the Christmas weekend. First off the location cannot be beat. You have two tube stations at the hotel (embankment and charing cross, which is also a train station). You can walk to Trafalgar Square, Picadilly CIrcus, Leiceter Square, and Covent Gardens within 10-15 minutes maximum. If you enjoy a nice quick run, I highly recommend you run down Whitehall up to Buckingham Palace then back along the park.

There is free internet on the computer right next to the staircase on the main floor. Very convenient.

The room was large enough for one, perhaps two --- it isn't like you are staying in the room all day. The bathroom was larger than most European bathrooms. Overall the property was clean, well kept and just perfect for my weekend visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
guomancharing, PA to the General Manager at Amba Hotel Charing Cross, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your kind comments on TripAdvisor. As a hotel, we are indeed very lucky to have this prime location in the very centre of London.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel and that you found your room to be of an adequate size. If you have any future visits to London, I sincerely hope you will consider the Charing Cross Hotel again.

Wishing you a prosperous 2012.

Kind regards,

Riddian Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Turkish first
West Mids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Stayed here on a business trip and I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is clean and well-decorated. The staff give the impression that they care, which you don't always get in commuter type hotels. My room was very large and well fitted out. The ironing board was quite possibly the smallest ironing board in the world, and it was attached to the wall, so it wasn't a great help in making my clothes go really flat but that's my only complaint. The gym was small but adequate. I didn't eat in the restaurant but had a good few drinks in the bar over the course of my stay and it was always lively. Location is very convenient but once you are inside you get none of the hustle and bustle of London so you should have no problem getting a good night's sleep. It's not likely to trouble anyone's list of top hotels and it's not somewhere for a romantic getaway but if you're looking for a decent, convenient hotel in London- why not?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and that our services were to your satisfaction. I will most certainly pass on your kind comments, as comments such as yours are great motivation to keep delivering excellent customer service.

In addition, I am glad to see that you enjoyed your drinks in our newly refurbished Eleanor's Bar. I sincerely hope you consider the Charing Cross Hotel for your future visits to London.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wishing you a prosperous 2012.

Kind regards,

Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I went with my boyfriend for 3 days on December. We had found this hotel on the Internet and read many positive comments of it, so we immediately booked online.
I really don't have any complaints about this hotel because it exceeded our expectations.
The main advantage of this hotel is its location. You are just a few blocks away from most attractions and key points of London. Trafalgar Square, London Eye, Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden,Cleopatra's Needle, everything is close to the hotel! You even have an underground station (Charing Cross) just next to the hotel and you can go everywhere from there.
I really liked the fact that this hotel is very cozy and all the staff are excellent. They are very nice people. I loved the decorations of the lobby and even that sweet smell that you perceive as soon as you enter. There were candles everywhere and a beautiful christmas tree.
Our room was adorable. You have all the facilities that you could need (hairdryer, tv, ac, fridge, etc).
Since you have to pay for the breakfast and it was a bit expensive for us, every morning we used to make coffee or tea in the room as there is a set of coffee, tea, sugar, cups, heater, etc. (you can just buy a sandwich the night before and there you have your breakfast! :)
I love this hotel and I would definitely come back. No negative points at all. Well, may be the price, but most hotels in London are expensive and this one really worth it.

Room Tip: We were on floor 4 and since there are a few pubs around the hotel, you may hear some laughs at nigh...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Meirionnydd : Cymru ~ Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I was in London on business and spent a night at the Charing Cross Hotel.
The hotel is beautiful, and I have to say that the room was very comfortable and even though it is above Charing Cross station, you don't hear any noise from there. I got a great view of the London Eye from my room which was lit up at night.
Breakfast was lovely and the staff were very helpful, if slightly cold in their manor.
The location is ideal for seeing London, is safe because it's in a busy central location and everything you need is nearby. I would most certainly stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
guomancharing, PA to the General Manager at Amba Hotel Charing Cross, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased that your brief stay at Charing Cross Hotel was enough to make a good impression. Your positive comments about the hotel and its service are most appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and most especially to learn of your intention to use the hotel again on your future visit to London.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stayed in here on a week night (Thursday) in December.
They've clearly done the hotel up a bit in the public areas since rebranding it; there was a warm welcome from the concierge,and the corridors and wide open staircases were lit by candles.
The reception area is a little small for the size of the hotel, so I had to queue a bit for check-in; but having been offered a glass of Champagne whilst I waited, this more than made up for it!
I asked for a quiet room; the receptionist actually checked the room on a plan of the hotel to make sure presumable it wasn't facing Villiers street with all the pubs on it! Being a quiet room it looked onto a central courtyard & the offices behind the hotel; so hardly a room with a view...

Room itself was quite small, and the bed quite hard, but still I had a good nights sleep so couldn't complain. Bathroom facilities were fine and there was tea & coffee facilities. Lighting/ mirrors also very sufficient to prepare for a night out!

Only thing they need to upgrade next is the 1970s hairdryers!!!

Room Tip: If requesting a quiet room, make sure it's high up. And check around for "top secret"...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay at Charing Cross Hotel.

I am also glad that you were able to sample a glass of Champagne which we offer complimentary to arriving residential guests.

Concerning the room size, as this is a Grade II listed building, we have rooms that vary in size even though they belong in the same category and it is due to how the rooms were originally partitioned.

I am pleased to inform you that the hotel is looking at the possibility of updating the hairdryers in the rooms.

I sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us once again.

Worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011 via mobile

Firstly, fantastic location, can't fault that. Rooms were clean (we booked two) and they were to the usual corporate 4* standard. There were fag butts outside the window on the mini balcony in one of our rooms on 4th floor which weren't cleaned up, and the fridge lacked a mini-bar, which wasn't really an issue for us. The main problem for me was that I booked 2 double rooms (on a well-known late booking website) for us and our daughter - at the same time, 4 weeks in advance - and for some reason the hotel thought I might like one room on the 4th floor and one on the 6th floor. When I disabused them of this idea at the time of checking in, they "helpfully" found us 2 rooms next to one another, but would you believe it, they were an upgrade at a cost of £45 per room. I protested, naturally, and the price "tumbled" immediately by a tenner per room, to £70 - on top of the in excess of £250 I'd already paid for us to rest our weary heads. For me, the word "scam" springs to mind!! Apart from this, no complaints, and beds were lovely! I would recommend, but a stronger recommendation would be to phone at the time of booking and ensure it's to your requirements.

• Stayed December 2011
guomancharing, PA to the General Manager at Amba Hotel Charing Cross, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor. In spite of the initial challenges, I am pleased that in the end my team was able to find the rooms that suited your requirements.

Whilst not an excuse, the hotel has only 239 rooms and depending on the day of the week, occupancy levels can be very high, limiting the choice of room we can offer during check-in. This is perhaps the reason why you were offered an upgrade, as the only rooms available on your arrival were of higher category.
I am however pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our beds comfortable.
I sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us once again on your next visit to London, and have a more pleasurable stay.

Malaga, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I've just arrived after spending four nights at this hotel. I've been going once a year for the past ten years or more. And no, this doesn't mean we are treated any better.

We go to this hotel because of the location. A part from this, the hotel is quite expensive and what's worst we weren't able to rest or sleep because we were given a room right above The Betjeman Suite were they have a party with loud music until one o'clock a.m. on Thursday night (Dec 1st). I did complain at around 10 pm and they told me they were sorry and that was all. This is not the first time we have this problem in this same hotel. Some years ago we did have to endure music coming from a party on a Saturday. At that time, the party ended at 3 a.m. So be aware of this, specially if you have a long day ahead, because it is common practice at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't choose rooms numbers between 300 - 308 and complete second floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, thereby making us aware of your experience from a recent stay.

I do apologise that we were not able to do much to make your stay more comfortable. Further to your feedback, I have tasked my Front Office Manager that when possible, guests must not be put in rooms directly above the Betjeman Suite especially when there’s a big party happening and music will be playing until late. Should guests wish not to be moved, then they should be informed of on-going events in this room.

I do understand your disappointment and should you wish to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Riddian Davies

Been to Amba Hotel Charing Cross? Share your experiences!