“Afternoon tea, almost too relaxed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End

You added DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Southampton Row | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 4BH, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #473 of 1,049 Hotels in London
UK
“Afternoon tea, almost too relaxed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Bad points: We booked a deal through Afternoon tea.co.uk, which said £17.50 per head, but we were charged £18.50. I had requested a vegetarian, but one of my sandwiches was smoked salmon- most certainly NOT vegetarian. Also one of the desserts was panna cotta which contains gelatin, so again not vegetarian. Service was very relaxed with the servers hardly ever checking on us. Also one friend had mould in her pot of cream, and it took a while for us to find someone to replace it. We were only offered one refill of tea, and the teapots were quite small.
Good points: Comfy seats, relaxed atmosphere. Never did we feel hurried. Scones were tasty, the carrot cake was lovely and the macaroon was good.
We were given a glass of champagne each to make up for the mouldy cream, but as I don't drink it did not make any difference to me.
Overall OK. Don't think I would go again. Seriously would expect a chain like this to understand what "vegetarian" means.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us.

I was glad to hear that you liked our comfortable atmosphere, our scones, cakes and macaroons offered. However, I regret to learn that you encountered some setbacks with your bill, your dietary requirements and the quality of one of the cream pots delivered to your table.

I am also very sorry that our team didn't provide an attentive an efficient service on this occasion. We do endeavour to provide only the highest standards in service and food experience, and such unusual matters have immediately been shared with our Food & Beverage and Kitchen teams for them to identify any underlying issue and correct it as a priority.

We do hope that you will consider returning to our Afternoon Tea for a new and successful experience that will restore your faith in our service. Please contact me directly on p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com for the best deal and I will ensure a perfect experience for you.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Room very small for the price, but it served its purpose on a business trip to city centre London. Wifi is not free in the bedrooms. Otherwise - friendly staff, great location, clean rooms and good breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for the review and your great comments regarding the team, cleanliness, breakfast and location. I am sorry to hear that the room size did not meet expectations on this occasion. We do have many large and spacious rooms that I am confident we can provide you with in future.

Furthermore, we are currently enhancing our Wi-Fi offering and already provide complimentary access in the public areas as well as to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honours members. For future reservations and the best deals please book directly with us at dtlondonwestend.com or contact me directly at p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards,

Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My Husband recently bought the groupon deal for the three course meal in BAr 92

The hotel is beautiful and the waitress was lovley

However the food was a little bland
Ceaser salad to start - good amount and nice flavours however you cant get a ceasar salad wrong.

Mains: Pork Steak & Grain mash with green beans - pork was dry and tastless
grain mash was watery and not much grain mustard added.
My husband had the beer battered fish and chips ther fish was soggy and oily and there were 6 chips on the plate which were also oily

needless to say we did not proceed to eat our mains

dessert: lemon citrus tart ordered - informed not on the menu for that day however the waitress took our comments on board re the main course and bought the main menu over for pudding and offered complimentary drinks (which were not taken)

we did order from the dessert menu i had choc fondant with pistachio ice cream was nice however fondant over cooked had no choc sauce running through the middle

my husband had the eton mess which was ok :/

its a shame however lesson learnt just because hotel is beautiful does not mean the meal will be good

2 star for food im afraid :(

Room Tip: groupon deal - not order from main menu they have a menu for groupon only
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback and for the time taken to review your recent meal at our Restaurant92.

I was very happy to hear that you liked the hotel's décor and the friendly service provided by our team. I sincerely regret to learn that you were disappointed by the quality of the food provided throughout your meal.

I would like to assure you that such a setback is a complete exception to our usual high standards and that your comments have been raised to our Executive Chef, for him to investigate and ensure that the highest quality of food preparation is always offered.

We are just launching our new seasonal A La Carte Menu, which I am confident will be very well received. I hope to have the opportunity of being your host again, and to improve your impressions through a positive experience. If you fancy a future reservation please email me directly on p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com and I will ensure that every detail is given the best attention.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Small pokey & smelly room. Someone had been smoking in it. Double bed jammed against a wall. really a single room. Not worth £189 without breakfast. I complained & was given a £30 refund but that did not compensate for uncomfortable stay

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your insightful review and for taking the time to also reply to our email survey.

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the size and standards of your room and that there was a cigarette smell remaining from a previous guest. Our hotel is an entirely non-smoking facility and we endeavour to remain very attentive to such matters to avoid any discomfort to any of our guests. I have addressed your comments to our Front Office, Housekeeping and Maintenance teams for them to ensure that our guest's comfort is looked after at all times.

I do hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in us through a new and succesful experience. Please feel free to email me directly for future reservations at p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com.

Kind Regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I enjoyed afternoon tea at restaurant 92 here recently. It was a groupon deal, and it was lovely!

Other than a few boring sandwiches, the food was delicious. Macaroons, panecottas a carrot cake squares were the highlight!

Service was excellent, very friendly. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our food and that you found our service to be of such a high standard. I have ensure to convey your comments to our Kitchen and Food & Beverage teams for them to take them on board.

I do hope to have the pleasure of being your host again soon.

Best Regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed for two nights in March and after reading some of the negative comments about this hotel I was pleasantly surprised to find everything was just as I would expect from a Hilton Hotel. The staff were very friendly, the room was excellent (not small or noisy) and the included buffet breakfast was very good with lots of choice and nice strong coffee.
The location is excellent (on the doorstep of the British Museum) with Covent Garden, Oxford Street and The West End all within walking distance. This hotel is also close enough to walk from Kings Cross or Euston main line railway stations.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your delightful review regarding your recent stay with us.

It is a real pleasure to hear about your experience and that you liked our central location, our comfortable and quiet rooms and the friendliness of our team.

I do hope to welcome you again sometime soon!

surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was our first visit to a Doubletree hotel, as we usually stay in Hilton hotels.
We were very pleasantly surprised - from the friendly staff at check in (with the fantastic warm brownies!) to the room and facilities.
We were given a large room at the back of the hotel - nice and quiet. We were able to check in early, which was an added bonus.
It's a great location, not far from Holborn tube station, to get into the West End. Lot's of handy restaurants, cafes and shops (such as a very handy Tesco Express/ Sainsbury's Local) nearby.
Would definitely recommend it and return ourselves.
Breakfast was excellent, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel which is away from the busy main road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I do hope to welcome you again sometime soon!

Hotel Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End? Share your experiences!