“Very small room showing signs of wear and tear” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Southampton Row | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 4BH, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £133
Ranked #414 of 1,075 hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very small room showing signs of wear and tear”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our room was clearly designed as a single as the double bed was actually up against the wall on two sides which meant that I had to climb over my recumbent parter in order to get in and out. Probably about 4 feet clearance between the other two sides of the bed and the room walls so only very small cats could be swung if needed. One broken reading lamp, wiring on towel heater in bathroom secured in place with a lot of duct tape (not sure that this is actually legal in a bathroom?) and generally a few chips and scrapes on the walls, doors and sills.
Nothing wrong enough to kick up a stink about, but enough to mark it down to an average rating on Tripadvisor on account of the relative expense vs quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a full sized double, not a converted single.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for comments regarding your recent stay with us. Please allow me to apologise profusely for failing to meet expectations on this occasion and rest assured that the highlighted issues will be addressed immediately. Due to the historical nature of our building, our rooms do vary in size, but it would be our pleasure to ensure that you receive a bigger room the next time you decide to stay with us. Please contact me directly at p.mcfadden@dtlondonwestend.com when you are planning your next trip to London and I will ensure that every aspect of your stay is given the highest attention.

We do hope to have the opportunity of being your host again in the near future.

Best Regards,

1,280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
Buckinghamshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently booked a table for 4 as a treat to my nieces for doing well in their exams. Last year a friend and I had afternoon tea at the Hilton London Green Park, where we offered an excellent service, where our special request of halal sandwiches was acknowledged. Moreover, there was excellent customer service with generous refills and the atmosphere was brilliant. In this vein, I had booked this afternoon tea with the Doubletree by Hilton. Although, the staff were helpful in accomodating our drinks request, I was hoping for a Hilton inspired afternoon. However, I have now realised that just because the name Hilton is in the overall name of this hotel, sadly, the service matched nowhere near. For £50, the four of us had enough tea but sadly nothing else. Very disappointing afternoon.

HNS

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Huma_23,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us. I will be certain to address your comments with our Food & Beverage department to ensure that the service provided is consistently up to the highest standards.

We do hope to have the opportunity to make matters up to you by welcoming you back on another occasion and providing the level of service that you are accustomed to.

Yours Faithfully,

Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

From the moment we arrived in a group of four we were made welcome. The desk staff could not have been more helpful. They were smart, efficient and did everything with a smile.

The room: Clean and comfortable although for a four star, a wee bit small. And as with many hotels in December the room temperature was high, although the air con soon brought that down to a comfortable level. The rooms were equipped with tea and coffee facilities and an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was very clean and well equipped.

The only meal we had was breakfast that consisted of the usual options and choices, and produce was of a very high standard.

The location is very good.

We only stayed for one night but all agreed we would be happy to return. A very pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you kindly for the wonderful review. We really appreciate your comments and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity of being your host again soon. In the meantime may I take this opportunity of wishing you a very Happy New Year from all of us at the DoubleTree by Hilton London-West End

edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed for four nights. We booked the standard room and were told at reception that we could have a free upgrade to a de-lux room. The de-lux room was small and disappointing in terms of size. I would certainly not have accepted a room any smaller than this one. I felt rather clausdrophobic throughout the entire stay but at least London has much to offer and you only have to sleep in the room. We seemed to have a problem with the heating. You never knew when it was on or off as the light indicator went off as soon as you set the temperture. I awoke throughout the night having to open the window (December temperature) and by the end of the four days I had a cold. The size of the room and the heating was the only two negatives. The young man on arrival was very friendly. You get a warm cookie which is delicious. The room was clean and the bedding and pillows etc. were of four star quality. The bathroom was big enough. Toiletries were four star. The only thing missing in the room, I would say, is bathrobe and slippers. There is also no mini-bar but this is not too important. WiFi is free for one hour in the lobby so this was ok for us. The buffet breakfast was very good and it was great to see the smiley face of SEBINE every day. She was always smiing and friendly. Never any different. In fact all the staff were very well trained. As for the 12.5 % charge that is put on in various restaruants AND BARS in London including this hotel. DO NOT PAY IT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO. It is illegal and not compulsary. I was charged it twice (not here as I did not eat here). Once in the Indian restaurant along the road and once in the bar at the top of Centre point. I refused to pay it on BOTH occasions and it was taken off. So NEVER PAY IT ANYWHERE unless you really want to. It is at your discretion and when I am charged it I never pay it and never leave a tip. When I am not charged it I leave a tip when I recieve good service and food only. Know your rights. I was in room 414. A good pub is The Swan for food and a drink beside the hotel if you want to eat nearby. Go out the main door and walk along a bit then turn right onto a side street. Good basis food and a good pint.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We will certainly ensure that all the issues raised are shared with the team and that the appropriate action is taken where necessary. I am pleased that you had a positive stay overall, however I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room size and heating. I hope that we will have an opportunity of making this up to you in future and I can assure you that we will arrange a fantastic upgrade for you. I have asked our Housekeeping team to investigate why the heating was not operating correctly and why you did not have bathrobes in your room, as these items are always to be checked before allocating the room to our guests.

Thank you also for the feedback with regards to service charge and you are absolutely correct in stating that it is optional. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast every Morning and I will personally thank Sabine who yet again proved to be a wonderful asset to our hotel with her positive hospitality.

Please do contact me directly if you wish to discuss any matter of your stay further. In the meantime I wish you a very Happy New Year and I hope to have the opportunity of being your host again in 2013.

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We visited London for holiday and then business at the Wellcome Trust, staying 6 days. The room was way in the back facing the side street and very quiet. Services were fine, though we didn't stay around a lot. We had breakfast and tea in the member's lounge which was fine, though they do not keep it well stocked, especially towards the end of the hours. Plan to be there early if you want something to eat.

I would return, especially being this close to the British Museum. It is half way between tube stops , but the walk is not bad

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying and for taking the time to write us a nice review. I have shared your feedback regarding the Executive Lounge not being well stocked at the end of service and the Team will monitor this closely moving forward. We are pleased that you had an overall positive stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to University nearby in the 1990's so it was with a sense of nostalgia I returned to Southampton Row. We stayed at Doubletree Hilton for a 2 night weekend break for my partners birthday. As we checked in the receptionist smiled and said that it was one of our birthdays during our stay. At this point my heart soared and I hoped she would continue to say that they were going to give us a free upgrade. This did not happen so we headed upstairs in the smallest lift ever. Upon arrival in our miniscule double room we discovered that our room had a lovely little lemon birthday cake and plate of fruit in it laid on by the hotel. This was a lovely touch we both felt. Not as nice as an upgrade but still a nice touch! Well done Hilton.

Bar area was nicely decorated and a pleasure to sit in but I do object to a 12.5% service charge being levied on everything! Whilst I have no problems tipping staff, and tipping well, the Hilton just need to actually pay their staff adequately rather than me having to pay service charge for someone passing a bottle of water out of a fridge across the bar to me and printing out a receipt for me to sign! Surely it's their jobs??

Room was beautifully clean on arrival and kept clean throughout (our maid was tipped both days <voluntarily> in recognition of the fact she'd done a good job!!!).

The location is just wonderful. It is a short walk down to Covent Garden or across to Oxford Street. Just a step away from the hustle but close enough to be walkable.

Now I have been a Hilton Honours Member for almost 2 years. Apart from the fact I have loyally stayed in Hiltons in London twice, Bangkok, New York thrice, Dubai, Kent there seems to be absolutely no benefit whatsoever to the individual from being an Honours Member and our stay at the Doubletree Westend was no exception! You give your loyalty and money and get nothing back. I have one more trip with a Hilton already booked and after that I shall be giving up my loyalty to free enterprise and getting better deals elsewhere!

Lastly, location and decor thumbs up. Pleasant staff! Fine for a 2 night stay in a small room!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for the review. We are delighted that you had an overall pleasant time with us and that coming back to the area was a nice experience. We apologise for not having an upgrade available on this occasion as we would have loved to have upgraded you on your very special occasion. We do tend to offer our valued Hilton Honour members complimentary upgrades whenever possible, unfortunately we did not have availability on this occasion.

Thank you for your comments with regards to the service charge in our bar and I will be certain to reiterate to the team not to charge service charge to guests who get served at the bar. The service charge element is also optional and can be removed at any time.

Again thank you for your very constructive feedback and I hope to have the opportunity of being your host again in future. If you are returning to this part of London again in the future, please contact me directly and I will ensure that every aspect of your stay with us is given great care and attention.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Given the impressive reception area and welcoming staff, one might be excused for thinking that the entire experience is going to be of an exceptional nature. However, comfortable and clean though the accommodation was, the overall effect was claustrophobic. For a supposedly double room, this was pokey; one could barely move around the bed and the walls were panelled with a rather oppressive dark wood veneer, creating a rather gloomy effect - I don't think I'd have wanted to go much beyond my one night stay.
The buffet breakfast had the standard range of options available - but even for central London £18 is an inexcusable price. As other travellers have noted, the absence of wi-fi is hardly attractive, particularly if one is staying on business. As I was staying on business my employer was picking up the tab - I don't think I would have been happy had it been me!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are at the back of the hotel - the front is on the ever-wakeful Southampton Row - not go...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the review and your points are duly noted. I was pleased to hear that you had an overall good stay and thank you for the kind compliments regarding our friendly team members. I hope that we have the opportunity of being your host again soon and we would want to ensure that you are happy with the size and comfort of your room. We have recently arranged for complimentary Wi-Fi access in our public areas and our prices for internet access in bedrooms are aligned with competitor pricing. We are pleased to offer complimentary Wi-Fi access to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honours members and we also offer bedroom rates that are inclusive of internet access. If you wish to discuss any of these matters further please do contact me directly as I would be delighted to help and assure you very comfortable stays with us in future.

Hotel Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End? Share your experiences!