“Nice break in miniscule room in great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End

Agoda.com Priceline.com
DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Southampton Row | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 4BH, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Price
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #402 of 1,071 hotels in London
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Nice break in miniscule room in great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to University nearby in the 1990's so it was with a sense of nostalgia I returned to Southampton Row. We stayed at Doubletree Hilton for a 2 night weekend break for my partners birthday. As we checked in the receptionist smiled and said that it was one of our birthdays during our stay. At this point my heart soared and I hoped she would continue to say that they were going to give us a free upgrade. This did not happen so we headed upstairs in the smallest lift ever. Upon arrival in our miniscule double room we discovered that our room had a lovely little lemon birthday cake and plate of fruit in it laid on by the hotel. This was a lovely touch we both felt. Not as nice as an upgrade but still a nice touch! Well done Hilton.

Bar area was nicely decorated and a pleasure to sit in but I do object to a 12.5% service charge being levied on everything! Whilst I have no problems tipping staff, and tipping well, the Hilton just need to actually pay their staff adequately rather than me having to pay service charge for someone passing a bottle of water out of a fridge across the bar to me and printing out a receipt for me to sign! Surely it's their jobs??

Room was beautifully clean on arrival and kept clean throughout (our maid was tipped both days <voluntarily> in recognition of the fact she'd done a good job!!!).

The location is just wonderful. It is a short walk down to Covent Garden or across to Oxford Street. Just a step away from the hustle but close enough to be walkable.

Now I have been a Hilton Honours Member for almost 2 years. Apart from the fact I have loyally stayed in Hiltons in London twice, Bangkok, New York thrice, Dubai, Kent there seems to be absolutely no benefit whatsoever to the individual from being an Honours Member and our stay at the Doubletree Westend was no exception! You give your loyalty and money and get nothing back. I have one more trip with a Hilton already booked and after that I shall be giving up my loyalty to free enterprise and getting better deals elsewhere!

Lastly, location and decor thumbs up. Pleasant staff! Fine for a 2 night stay in a small room!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you kindly for the review. We are delighted that you had an overall pleasant time with us and that coming back to the area was a nice experience. We apologise for not having an upgrade available on this occasion as we would have loved to have upgraded you on your very special occasion. We do tend to offer our valued Hilton Honour members complimentary upgrades whenever possible, unfortunately we did not have availability on this occasion.

Thank you for your comments with regards to the service charge in our bar and I will be certain to reiterate to the team not to charge service charge to guests who get served at the bar. The service charge element is also optional and can be removed at any time.

Again thank you for your very constructive feedback and I hope to have the opportunity of being your host again in future. If you are returning to this part of London again in the future, please contact me directly and I will ensure that every aspect of your stay with us is given great care and attention.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

1,170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Given the impressive reception area and welcoming staff, one might be excused for thinking that the entire experience is going to be of an exceptional nature. However, comfortable and clean though the accommodation was, the overall effect was claustrophobic. For a supposedly double room, this was pokey; one could barely move around the bed and the walls were panelled with a rather oppressive dark wood veneer, creating a rather gloomy effect - I don't think I'd have wanted to go much beyond my one night stay.
The buffet breakfast had the standard range of options available - but even for central London £18 is an inexcusable price. As other travellers have noted, the absence of wi-fi is hardly attractive, particularly if one is staying on business. As I was staying on business my employer was picking up the tab - I don't think I would have been happy had it been me!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are at the back of the hotel - the front is on the ever-wakeful Southampton Row - not go...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the review and your points are duly noted. I was pleased to hear that you had an overall good stay and thank you for the kind compliments regarding our friendly team members. I hope that we have the opportunity of being your host again soon and we would want to ensure that you are happy with the size and comfort of your room. We have recently arranged for complimentary Wi-Fi access in our public areas and our prices for internet access in bedrooms are aligned with competitor pricing. We are pleased to offer complimentary Wi-Fi access to our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honours members and we also offer bedroom rates that are inclusive of internet access. If you wish to discuss any of these matters further please do contact me directly as I would be delighted to help and assure you very comfortable stays with us in future.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

The staff are ok, some better than others like any place. There are the few that are overly self important. Food ok, atmosphere ok, executive suites are pleasant. After asking for a wake up call 3 times, it was still lost in handover, pretty poor considering this is a popular business hotel! If you can't do it, don't offer the wake up call as a service.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you had a comfortable stay and that you liked our Executive wing. Our Front of House Manager has carried out refresher training on the Wake up call procedure to ensure that such an issue does not repeat. I apologise profusely for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I can assure you that it is an exception to our usual high standards. If I can assist further please feel free to contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Located near Holborn tube station, on the central line, this hotel is a standard Doubletree, good service, nice room and standard Hilton breakfast, good location for visiting London. The exec lounge leaves a little to be desired but most customers won't gain access so it won't matter.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you like our location. We have noted your comments regarding the Executive Lounge and will monitor this closely and ensure the relevant improvements are put in place.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights as part of a Super break for shopping trip & west end theatre package .
Hotel was excellent - very clean - good comfortable rooms - very friendly staff - lovely breakfast - great location .
What more do you want ???
Would definitely stay here again - Many Thanks

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for the lovely review, we really appreciate it. We are so pleased that you found the hotel clean and that the facilities met with your expectations. Thank you also for the kind comments regarding our friendly team members. We do hope to have the opportunity of being your host again soon.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We recently had a 2 night stay at this Hotel where we were given a room upgrade free of charge and enjoyed an executive suite. The rooms were lovely so too was the complimentary bar between 5-7pm. The hotel staff were extremely helpful especially Domanic Ross! Breakfast was nice and location very good for west end london.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade before arrival
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to give you an upgrade. I will also be certain to pass on my Thanks to Dominic who yet again showed great customer care skills. We are proud to have him on our team.

Thank you again and we look forward to inviting you back soon.

north east
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

stayed here week end 7th Dec. We had one of the small doubles. It was more than adequate we only used it to get changed and sleep in. Lovely bathroom no problems at all really good nights sleep, comfy bed and no noise .Really clean can not fault it .
stayed for2 nights and i have to say both mornings the breakfast was spot on . Found all staff very polite .Would recommend to anyone and would definately stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you kindly for your lovely review. We are so pleased that you had a positive stay and enjoyed our amenities and service. We are very proud of our team members and I am delighted to see that their friendliness and care towards our guests was evident through-out your stay. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End? Share your experiences!