I went to University nearby in the 1990's so it was with a sense of nostalgia I returned to Southampton Row. We stayed at Doubletree Hilton for a 2 night weekend break for my partners birthday. As we checked in the receptionist smiled and said that it was one of our birthdays during our stay. At this point my heart soared and I hoped she would continue to say that they were going to give us a free upgrade. This did not happen so we headed upstairs in the smallest lift ever. Upon arrival in our miniscule double room we discovered that our room had a lovely little lemon birthday cake and plate of fruit in it laid on by the hotel. This was a lovely touch we both felt. Not as nice as an upgrade but still a nice touch! Well done Hilton.
Bar area was nicely decorated and a pleasure to sit in but I do object to a 12.5% service charge being levied on everything! Whilst I have no problems tipping staff, and tipping well, the Hilton just need to actually pay their staff adequately rather than me having to pay service charge for someone passing a bottle of water out of a fridge across the bar to me and printing out a receipt for me to sign! Surely it's their jobs??
Room was beautifully clean on arrival and kept clean throughout (our maid was tipped both days <voluntarily> in recognition of the fact she'd done a good job!!!).
The location is just wonderful. It is a short walk down to Covent Garden or across to Oxford Street. Just a step away from the hustle but close enough to be walkable.
Now I have been a Hilton Honours Member for almost 2 years. Apart from the fact I have loyally stayed in Hiltons in London twice, Bangkok, New York thrice, Dubai, Kent there seems to be absolutely no benefit whatsoever to the individual from being an Honours Member and our stay at the Doubletree Westend was no exception! You give your loyalty and money and get nothing back. I have one more trip with a Hilton already booked and after that I shall be giving up my loyalty to free enterprise and getting better deals elsewhere!
Lastly, location and decor thumbs up. Pleasant staff! Fine for a 2 night stay in a small room!
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton London - West End Hotel
- Doubletree By Hilton London - West End Hotel London
- Park Inn London
- Park Inn Russell Square
- Bonnington Hotel London
- DoubleTree By Hilton London - West End England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The DoubleTree by Hilton London – West End (WC1) formerly the Park Inn London Russell Square, is a newly-renovated four-star hotel in Bloomsbury near Russell Square. The hotel is a stone's throw from the British Museum and walking distance to top attractions such as Covent Garden, the West End and the shops on Oxford Street. The hotel features 215 fresh and modern guest rooms, recently refurbished to a superior four-star standard (including Standard, Deluxe and Executive rooms as well as Apartments). Wireless high-speed Internet access is available at the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.