“much better experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Southampton Row | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 4BH, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #433 of 1,054 Hotels in London
EASTBOURNE
“much better experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Didn't have the best experience earlier this year when we stayed at the Hotel. The manager dealt with my comments well and I think appropriately- he was honest and din't fob me off which I respect!. We were offered another stay and were upgraded to an executive room which was lovely, clean, with fresh fruit on arrival. The champagne on ice for our anniversary which was promised never materialised but- as there were other generosities i.e. free drinks in the executive lounge with canapes for 2 hours in the early evening- and our non staying guests whom we were meeting were allowed to join us - made up for this.I was shocked on night 2 to see a fellow guest pinch an opened bottle bottle of sparkling from the lounge and hide it under his coat before taking it to his room - People like this spoil these things for others. ALL staff members were polite, corteous and helpful. Breakfast was delicious, a good choice and well prepared. Only downside- was we had to ask Maid to clean our room as we had been overlooked andd therefore had to vacate the room when we could have crashed out - however it was done immediately. We would return -great location x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you so much for staying again and for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am so pleased that things were very much to your standard on this occasion. We look forward to being your host again in the near future.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days on a business trip and it was not a good experience at any stage
I booked a double room and on arrival got checked into a box sized room with a strong stench of smoke and I complained and was given a second room with no minibar. I had to go back to reception to ask for another change and was initially told that the double rooms at £223 per night are not all equipped with a minibar! After almost over 30 mins they decided to give me a third room with a minibar and doesn't smell either.
Then comes to service, I found the reception staff very rude and tried to order room service on the first night. The room service number rings forever and never gets answered. I called reception and the lady just transferred me back to the room service line and same issue again. After the 3rd attempt some picked up and the line cut half way to placing my order.there was no ring back and I had to call back and start all over again. The meal arrived after about 45 mins and was just ok.
Next morning ordered room service breakfast for 6:30-7:00 am delivery. Called room service at 7:15 and they said the food will arrive in 10 mins! Food arrived at 7:30 and I tried to complain to the waiter her response was "no staff" dropped the food by door and walked away. Had my meal and left the tray outside my room. The tray sat there until I came back in the evening and this was the case for the four days. The trays are only picked if I order room service for dinner. Your orders are hadly repeated to confirm and delivery times are inconsistent. I had little choice as my ceroom rate included dinner and breakfast (I guess my mistake).

The house keeping staff was dreadful too. My wife stayed in the room for a couple of days during the daytime hours and the staff once opened the door into the room without knocking to check if anyone was in! Luckily it was a lady. The cleaning was done in less than a minute too.

The breakfast order cards were supposed to be replaced every day but they never did so I had to call room service and on one occasion it took 3 hours to get it to my room.

Finally on the day I was checking out, the reception staff bungled my bill and was charging me for prepaid dinners and it took another 30 mins to sort out.

I'm spending time to write this cus I have previously worked in a Hilton as a student and stayed in other ones as a business traveller and no comes close to this guys in terms of dreadful standards.

I hope the management reads this and do something about it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to review your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.
I am very concerned to hear about all the different issues that you encountered during your stay, and appreciate your gesture in bringing this up to our attention. Your comments are the prime element of our continuous improvement and allow us to take the necessary actions to ensure that all our guests are experiencing the great service that we are renowned for.
I am truly sorry that you weren’t satisfied with your room’s condition and amenities and that it took such time to accommodate you in a suitable room.
If you are planning on returning to the hotel, do contact me directly and I will make sure all aspects of your stay are given the very best attention.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton West End on a lastminute.com deal. We arrived before the usual check in time on Sunday, but were able to check in straight away and were upgraded to a Superior Room. I wonder how bijoux a standard room is. To be fair, they make the most of the space. Service on the front desk was friendly and staff were helpful. The room was very clean and had everything you need - including Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries, decent hairdryer, iron/board, kettle and unstocked fridge. The best thing about the hotel is the location - it's minutes from the British Museum, a short walk from Covent Garden and the West End, and on plenty of bus routes and close to tubes. Commuting to Gatwick airport was easy as there is a bus directly from St Pancras train station to the hotel door. Oh, and you get a rather yummy warm chocolate chip cookie on check in. Nice touch!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Peadar M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our tasty welcome cookie and that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and your room to be well appointed. We strive to provide the highest standard and satisfaction to our guest and it is very pleasant to receive such a positive feedback. However, I am sorry that you weren’t entirely pleased by your room’s size. Our building does have a historical structure, and due to this our room sizes do vary throughout the property.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are in London

Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Centrally located hotel with old fashion and classical but comfortable furnishing. Everything is average in this hotel nothing special including service . Ideal for 2-3 days business visit stays if your meeting place is in walking distance ...

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
We are glad that you have found our hotel comfortably furnished and ideally located, and that you would recommend it to business guests.
As we strive to provide excellence in service and accommodation and our guests satisfaction is our top priority, we would greatly welcome the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations on this new occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact us the next time you plan to travel to London, and we will make sure that all aspects of your stay are given the best attention.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Very welcoming reception staff, unable to check into room till late as rooms still being cleaned,but left bags and went out to sightsee. The room was small, but very well appointed very confortable bed. The downstairs bar and lounge was comfortable and lovely to sit and enjoy a drink before going out for the evening. We got this on a good deal so for a London Hotel was on the whole worth the money. One tip though if you can get your own drinks from the bar do as they put a surcharge on waiter service of 12%, and check even if you do get your own as when we checked the receipt they had added this dispite our going to the bar, in fairness they took this off but we had to ask.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you kindly for your comments on your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.
It is a real pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and we will make sure to pass on your comments to our reception team. I am also very happy that you found our bar and lounge to be a great place to relax on your evening at the hotel. We have taken your remarks on our billing error on board and will make sure to remain attentive to prevent this issue.

We look forward to being your host again in a near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us the next time you plan to travel to London.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Doubletree more by luck than judgement having gone for a Lastminute.com Secret Hotels offer and picking up the room for ~£100. Check in was brief as we were passing and had to get to another part of London but wanted to drop our bags. Despite a queue there were ample staff and we were processed quickly and given two keys, we were told our bag would be kept at reception, however on our return later neither the concierge nor reception could locate it, it turned out they had been hyper efficient and had a bag sent to the room which was great but it would been good if we didn't need to go up and check the room to find that out!

The room was nice, a little compact but that's to be expected with London and everything we needed was there and it was clean and well decorated. However on laying on the bed for a while I noticed a noise like someone moving furniture next door, this was intermittent but relentless, I presumed (wrongly) that they were rearranging a room after a conference on the floor above but the noise continued. Eventually I went off to investigate and it was the lift next to our room grinding in the lift shaft and opening and closing the doors which convinced me if we didn't move rooms we'd be kept awake all night.

On speaking to the reception staff they graciously upgraded us to a superior room although I have to say if I had paid substantially more for this I'd have been disappointed with just an extra couple of seats and another TV.

On returning later we found the lift next to our room had been put out of order whether this was down to my complaint or another reason I don't know.

The new room was quiet, check out was quick and painless the next day and all in all it wasn't a bad stay. My over all impressions were good despite the room issues and every member of staff I encountered was smiley, helpful and seemed genuinely concerned that we had a good stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to review your recent experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton London West End.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient. I am also delighted that you appreciated your room’s decoration and cleanliness. However, I am sorry that your room’s proximity to our elevator resulted in noise disturbance, and that despite our team’s efficiency in taking your luggage to your room we seemed to have lost track of it. This reflected a punctual lack of coordination and we welcome your highlighting of this issue to prevent it in the future.

We are looking forward to welcome you again to the hotel and provide you with the high standard of service that we are renowned for.

kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Having battled the wind and rain of a typical November day we arrived an hour early for our booked afternoon tea, this was no problem we could either sit and relax until our allocated time or eat straight away. We decided on the latter after freshening up in the very nice restrooms. After a short wait we were offered a selection of teas, my husband chose a breakfast tea and I opted for coffee as a non-tea drinker. The drinks did arrive approximately 15 minutes before the food which meant I had finished mine and had nothing left to have with my sandwiches and pastries. The sandwiches were average. The strawberry tarts and scones were lovely, french fancy and eclair just ok. My only criticism was that we were not asked if we would like more tea/coffee. Eventually my husband asked if he could have more tea which arrived a few minutes later but I was not asked if I required more coffee and I did not like to ask (silly on reflection). I was left feeling as if I were not a valued guest which is a shame as this small thing would stop me recommending the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Don't feel afraid to ask for more tea or coffee!!