“Excellent location and value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End

You added DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Southampton Row | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 4BH, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #475 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Excellent location and value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday weekend, rooms were small but everything you needed in them. Received our warm cookie on arrival which was a great touch. Receptionist was very helpful. Beds very comfortable and no noise at all which was surprising being very central. Another great touch was bottles of water being provided in the room. Didn't eat in or drink in hotel. Decor very modern. Only downfall was I found the rooms to be cold and could not get the temperature control to work. All in all a great place to stay and happy to recommend.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My friend and I had booked this hotel for a pre Christmas theatre weekend at a very reasonable price.
FAB HOTEL, the staff were amazing, helpful, polite and generally very knowledgeable about London. Our room was up graded on arrival (as well as being given the hot cookie ..yum yum)and then upgraded again because of a nasty leak in the bathroom, however this was all managed with ease and no stress to us at all. Clean and comfortable, nice fluffy towels, comfortable beds and pillows. Lovely bar for a night cap with a "fire" very cosy
Only downside is the cost of the breakfast here, it is rather expensive when you can walk 5 minutes down the road to a little "cantina" and get a fantastic breakfast for 2 people for less than the price of one in the hotel. However all in all we had a wonderful 2 night break in an excellent hotel so a big thank you to the staff

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Many previous reviews mentioned receiving a cookie at check in. There was no cookie when we checked in, a small thing perhaps, but it didn't bode well. The lifts are really small and one seemed to be continually out of operation which meant frequent long waits if you are on the upper floors and/or can't use the stairs. Service in the bar area which we tried for lunch on one occasion was amongst the slowest I have ever encountered despite the fact that only 3 tables were occupied. We had 2 standard rooms, both small but clean and well decorated. One thing that annoyed me was that the bed was against the wall and I had to crawl into it every time my husband was on the other side of it. Service in general was average, no one was especially welcoming or helpful but they did their job efficiently. My major criticism is that a couple of pricey toiletries, worth about £30 belonging to my daughter disappeared out of the bathroom in her room. We queried this at reception and they said they would have a word with housekeeping and get back to us. We never heard from them, not good service at all. The location of the hotel is superb for getting around the city, however.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Plano, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

The Doubletree is a pretty good choice if you are loonkg for a value in central London. The property is sufficient, offering a comfortable place to stay at a reasonable price. Be sure to check their web site for advance purchase (prepaid) rates. I got a room for almost 1/2 the normal discount rate, and lower than anythng else I could find in the city.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get into the "executive roopm" section ofthe hotel on the first floor. The...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The service at the hotel was very good and I was actually suggested the subscription to the HHonors card. Because I joined the HHonors, I got an upgrade to a very spacious and comfortable superior room.
My stay at this hotel was actually due to a conference that was happening there over the weekend and I must say that the conference room had a terrible logistic disposition of the seats.
From the stage to the back of the room there was a row of concrete pillars blocking the view to the screen of half the seats.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed overnight lovely room with very modern tv system including internet. . Firstly visited Cocktails lounge about 8pm. Lots of choices on menu - all quite reasonably priced. Then went over to see firework display on London Eye. Spectacular! Went back to hotel at 12-30 freezing but soon warmed up as there was a great disco booming in the bar. Staff lovely Food great - an excellent time was had by all.

Room Tip: Go for the "Queen size" bit bigger then normal and no extra charge
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed here over the fireworks weekend, which was my first time in London.

The hotel is very easily located via Holburn Station. It doesn't look like a Hilton so if you are not paying attention to what you are looking at, you may just walk past it.

On entering the hotel it is beautifully decorated and laid out. Concierge was not present but I would assume they would greet as you enter.

Reception was disappointing. We arrived early, around 11.30am and was expecting to drop off baggage whilst we visit the sights.
We approached reception and was not greeted with a "Hello", "Good Morning", "How can I help?" ... instead we got a blank look.
He asked for confirmation which was provided and then we got the strangest check in ever.
(We were checked in by a gentleman with his name beginning with a "M" but unsure how it is spelt. Dark haired gentleman of middle eastern decent).
He is not Hilton standard!! He kept his head down, didn't acknowledge the room type we had reserved, whether breakfast was inclusive, point out where the restaurant/ bar was, no newspaper or wake up call.
He brought his head up to ask for a card. Processed the card and then gave us the keys. He pointed to the lift in the lobby and that was it.
I could see his female colleague kept looking over cautiously, although she was dealing with another guest and looked far more like the Hilton standard.
I wanted to start to complain however, it would start the weekend off on a sour note.

We got to the room on the second floor. There was a maintenance team member painting the walls which I found amusing as there was no "wet paint" signs. He was painting the walls either side of my bedroom door.
After dodging the paint I got into my room to notice my hand luggage got cream paint on it. I suppose its my fault as I should have dodged better. It was only a small mark but I could imagine other guests going nuts about it.

Housekeeping standards were excellent. The room was spacious for two. The tea tray had a good selection of teas and biscuits, plus good amount of toiletries that were replaced daily.
The only fault with the room was the electric wooden blinds had several slats broken (where previous guests obviously damaged).

The hotel is centrally located for shops, bakeries and restaurants. There is no need to travel far at all, especially if you are unaware what the hotel is offering.

On returning from Wicked the musical (which was amazing! A must see) I spoke with one of the night team, at the desk, and asked if my reservation included breakfast and if not where is it and how much.
After discussion with his colleague he informed me it was not included, and after further discussion they agreed on the price. Something that I feel the front of house team should be aware of.
I also asked if I would be able to get a bucket of ice delivered to the room, instead he offered me to go to the bar where they would could give me a glass of ice or there was ice machines on the floor.
I was unaware there were ice machines on the floor, but what surprised me further that there was no ice buckets in the room to collect ice - so I used a dry cleaning bag from the cupboard and used this to collect ice.

Checkout was fine. No issues.

I am looking to visit London again several times in 2012 for the west end shows but unless this hotel offered an unbelievable rate/package I would not use this one. I paid over £179 per night and I have received better service from a hotel offering an e-check in at a much lower price. Probably harsh to say, but it is quite true.

It is a shame as it is centrally located and very handy for travel in and out of the main city centre.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End? Share your experiences!