“Great location but very tired old hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Katharines Way, London E1W 1LD, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #315 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Portland
“Great location but very tired old hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We checked in and the lobby was very lovely: bright, clean, new, sparkling. Then we went to our room and couldn't have seen a bigger contrast: old dark peeling wallpaper, dark wood, dark carpeting. Very old and tired. Hallways reminded me of the movie "The Shining." Could not get the a/c to work in one of the rooms. Staff rather unfriendly. Waited for 30 minutes upon check-out because the clerk messed up my bill and couldn't figure out how to fix it. Great location. Beautiful view of the Thames and the Tower Bridge. Rather pricey for what you get. Outside of hotel is hideous looking - all concrete and gray.

Room Tip: Make sure your a/c works.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
TowerHotelManager, Hotel Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

I’m so sorry that your stay was not the positive experience it should have been. We are continuously improving our room product and the majority of our rooms have already been refurbished however I really regret that you didn’t benefit from these improvements. Sorry to hear you couldn’t get the air conditioning system to work; our team are always on hand to assist so I hope this did not inconvenience you for too long.

I’d really like to keep you up to date on any news and changes at the hotel so that if you plan on visiting London again, I will be able to show you the improvements in person.

Glenn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Arrived on the Friday for a weekend break, although busy, we were seen quite quick by an efficient receptionist. We were upgraded free to I assume a deluxe twin, from a standard. What a view of St.Katherine's Dock & Canary Wharf.

The room was clean, modern & ideal. Nice bathroom & shower. No noise & a great sleep.

The staff were very friendly & attentive.

For a location, you can't beat it, Tower Bridge, The Tower of London etc, second to none. The views of the river, brilliant!!!!

One of the best quality & located hotels that iv'e stayed in London!

Thanks for a fault free weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks so much for posting your comments,
It’s great to read just how much you enjoyed your stay. It’s so important to me that guests receive the kind of service you experienced and I’m thrilled that you consider us as one of the best quality hotels you’ve stayed in.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Stayed at this amazing hotel for the first time. Amaaaazing location, grrreat room with a view,
friendly staff especially the great welcome we got from Emilia from guest relations - very charming & professional, she made our stay very pleasant. Also the concierge were very helpful at recommending places to visit.
Will be returning very soon -

thanx..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Thanks for your posting.
It’s always a pleasure to hear a guest has enjoyed their stay but its even better to learn that a member of staff has really stood out and made such a difference by providing top quality service. I know Emilia will be thrilled to hear you had such a great stay and would be delighted to personally welcome you back again soon.

Buxton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Wednesday 6th July - what a great location!! The hotel overlooks the River Thames, Tower Bridge and Tower of London - ideal for any type of visitor but perfect for tourists. The room was great and very clean. All of the stafff were VERY helpful and extremelt pleasant. We will be back!

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments,

I’m delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I’ll certainly be passing your feedback to the rest of the team and hope to welcome you back to the Tower again very soon.

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Just wanted to say, What a wonderful hotel and weekend we had. Our room was beautiful,stunning views of the tower bridge. Restaurant was lovely,service was very good. And can-t wait to come back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thanks for your posting,

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay so much and had such a great weekend.
We really look forward to welcoming you back soon

Zurich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Third time on business trip at the Guoman Tower, my impression is getting worse each time. They greet you by asking if this is your first stay - guess there is a reason to assume so. They just don't expect customers to return.
It is own awful 70s building and the good thing to be in there is that you don't need to look at it. Views out on the river Thames are great - no doubt
My room 1009 was small, but ok - however faciliities is badly maintained, with the toilet flash have broke, the fixed shower out of service, and the shower handle would only allow you boiling hot water unless you reduce it to a drip.
Reception does not even bother to ask whether you enjoyed your stay. I always thought hotel derives from hospitality, but they don't really give you feel that they are interested in anythin but money and judging from reception staff behavior, the most important thing they are trained for is apparently to make sure they charge your credit card before you leave.

The fitness room is tiny for a hotel of this size, no window, equipment is squeezed in, and the bike stands in front of a freezing air condition - the hotel's claim about the facility is a joke.

Net net, not a place to enjoy, they make you pay the location, but I don't go to London for looking out of my room's window. - Have seen much better deals in London.

Dear Reviewer,

I was really concerned to read about the condition of the bathroom facilities in your room. Our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams work incredibly hard to ensure all rooms are up to the highest standard and I am so sorry that we didn’t get it right this time. Our maintenance team have looked at 1009 and have addressed the issues.
It’s vital to me that our guests leave with a positive impression of the hotel and I am so disappointed that we’ve let you down.
I really do hope that on your next visit to London you will give us the opportunity to prove that we can deliver a great experience.

Teignmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Despite booking a non-smoking room, I was given a smoking room because 'I was the final guest to check in'. Shame on me for arriving after a long day's work to occupy a room for 7 hours that stank. I find it hard to believe that in2011, any hotel still has rooms that smell, but hey, this one did.

I ordered a taxi the previous night for 0615 in the morning only to find that upon arrival at the concierge, there were no taxis. Talking to another guest, I was told that this happens 'all the time'. Why on earth did the concierge accept my booking if he knew the service would not be delivered?

When my taxi arrived, the taxi driver asked me if I'd booked and when I said I had, he laughed and proclaimed that the hotel have a reputation for only allowing black cabs in who are prepared to pay a £10 'backhander' to the concierge in order to get a hire. Unbelievable - are we living in the UK or Nigeria?! It is of course possible the taxi driver could not be telling the truth but what possible motive could he have for lying to me.

The standards here have seriously fallen and there is absolutely no way I will return to the hotel. Seven hours for £336 for a room that smelled of stale cigarettes and a concierge system that stinks just as bad.

Thanks for your feedback,

I was genuinely sorry to see such a marked change between your stay this month and your previous stay reviewed last year. I regret that we were unable to allocate you a non smoking room; we do still have a smoking floor however plans are in place to convert this to non-smoking which leave the Tower an entirely non-smoking Hotel.

I apologise for our error with your Taxi reservation, I was disappointed to learn that your requested arrangements were not met. Our concierge team consistently receive excellent feedback so I am sad to hear that on this occasion they didn’t deliver. Regarding the Taxi Driver’s comments, we have an unrestricted licensed taxi rank outside the Hotel which all Black Cab drivers are free to use.

I really appreciate you sharing your comments with us

Glenn

Been to The Tower? Share your experiences!