“Awful room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge London Farringdon

Save Saved
You added Travelodge London Farringdon to your Saves list
Travelodge London Farringdon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-42 King's Cross Road, London WC1X 9LN, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #839 of 1,075 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Awful room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Travelodge, Farringdon on Tuesday, Wednesday 16-17 October 2012. I have business meetings in London every month and had previously stayed at the Travelodge, Covent Garden. The staff at the Farringdon are excellent but they are badly let down by a very tired hotel. My room was awful - the barhroom was disgusting with stained grouting, cracked tiles, badly stained taps and bath enamel. The shower sprayed boiling hot water and couldn't be regulated so I had to have a bath! Having filled the bath, I noticed lots of long dark hairs floating on the surface! Ugh!! The bed was past its best and I daren't check the mattress for fear of what I might find - there was a musty smell, and that was quite enough! I shall not be staying there ever again!!

• Stayed October 2012
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge London Farringdon, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Paultamsmith

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear you have cause for complaint, and that your stay did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

Your valuable comments will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

In addition, we would like to fully investigate your concerns. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form to securely provide us with your confirmation number and full details of your complaint.

We will then be able to fully investigate your concerns with the Hotel Management team, and provide a resolution.

1,103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had the huge misfortune to be booked into this hotel by my company on 16.10.12.
I was in room 524. It was truly awful. Where do I start? The window rattled in the breeze and let in cold air; the curtains looked like they hadn't been washed since 1974; I opened a drawer and the handle and drawer front came away in my hand; the "shower" was hopeless; there was 2 inches of space between the tiled bath panel and the top of the bath showing off a metal plate and grout to full effect; the sink plug was non-existent; the basin taps couldn't be turned on or off easily because the were hard up against a mirror; the walls were a sort of atrexed cement finish painted a dark cream colour (around 1981, I would guess and haven't been touched since). On the positive side, the coat hangers worked well.
Please take my advice and don't stay here unless you like feeling miserable and depressed. I'm only glad I wasn't paying for it.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Stairbucks

Thank you for your feedback.

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here October 16th and could not recognise in the other reviews the same hotel as the one I've stayed in. Staff on reception were helpful, let me check in a quarter of an hour early (it's a small thing but much appreciated after a long day). I can't account for the rooms others are describing: mine was a quiet double room on the 5th floor facing away from the road. Plenty of light, all with shades and all working properly; the room was clean, hot and cold water working properly on all taps in the bathroom, correct number of towels for the two of us, tv correctly tuned and remote working properly... I could go on but the point is, the room provided everything I could reasonably expect. One final point: this hotel takes a lot of stick for being a 'legacy' Travelodge and this seems unfair to me. Yes, they did buy it from another hotelier but that also means the rooms offer some amenities you won't find in newer Travelodges, such as an upholstered easy chair as opposed to plastic, and proper curtains instead of a vinyl blind.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing away from the road.
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

It's a very dated hotel where Travelodge just painted the walls and rebuilt the ground floor, reception and restaurant. Tiny room and bathroom. The remote control of TV simply did not work, and then I asked the hotel staff to replace it and they replaced it by another one that also did not worked. It was impossible to control the shower. No free wi-fi as Travelodge is advertising in their webpage.
The staff was very cold and they did not demonstrate any willingness to help you in your needs. They just did the basics, refused at all to go a little bit beyond. The day I was arrived I asked for a simple hamburger in the bar, and the woman who was attending at tha time simply refused to attend me because it was 22:04, and the bar's kitchen closed at 22:00 - due 4 minutes I had to face the streets searching for a McDonalds or Subway restaurant in order to have a simple lunch. I tried to explain to the woman that I arrived late at the hotel because my flight from Venice has delayed more than 1 hour and I was starving, but she simply ignored me!

For a little bit more you can get a better room in a better hotel in London, even around King's Cross station. Avoid Travelodge if you don't want to get a poor service.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel. Search for Ibis Blackfriars, almost same price for a brand-new hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge London Farringdon, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Jean S,

We are sorry to learn about your disappointing stay.

The points you’ve raised will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Your feedback is important to us, and we would like to investigate the issues. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form, to provide us with full details of your issues and your booking number.
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed in numerous Travelodges, and indeed often post on here telling people off for criticising them given how little they cost. However, this hotel really lets down the brand and is in dire need of refurbishment.

I have included pictures in my review to demonstrate some of our issues. Our carpet had not been hoovered - which we discovered upon finding someone else's toenail clippings on the carpet. It was cold but we could not turn on our radiator, as the caps had been removed. There was exposed wiring in the room. In the bathroom, the bath was missing a handle and instead just had open holes in the side of the bath. The bathroom shelves had been removed and not replaced. Both taps were dirty and one didn't have a filter fitted.

The location of this hotel is great, and the prices are good. But the room was disgusting, and I wouldn't stay here again. Thankfully we didn't travel with children - as I can't imagine that this room would be safe for them!

Dear alexular,

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

On arrival the reception staff were ok, the area is good, not far from restaurants, bars and tube.
I was booked in there by my work's hotel booking service. I would never have chosen this hotel myself.
My single room was at the end of a corridor which was dark - the light outside the room did not work.
From reading previous reviews I kind of knew what to expect. The room was boiling hot but this was remedied by opening a window and turning the radiator down. The main room light did not work, only the small light above the bed and the light in the bathroom functioned. However on the second night the main light was working again.
Another comment about the lights... The lampshades had burn marks on them and after the lights had been on for a while there was a scent of burnt toast or cigarettes. Surely this is not safe! I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much to replace the lampshades.
The bathroom was ok, if not a bit dated. The shower was warm, but there was a little bit of mould around the tiles and seals.
The carpet was quite dated and worn, the furniture old fashioned, the bed a bit lumpy. Basic channels on the TV. I would have preferred the choice of all the basic freeview channels.

My list of good things about this hotel:
The bar area was comfortable
The shower was warm
Bedding was fine
Towels were clean
There was a TV in the room
Good location

My list of bad things about the hotel:
Dated decor

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Lebley99,

england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here Oct 12 and 13..shower was scalding hot and could not be controlled. Did not sleep due to traffic noise and badly sealed window..asked to move rooms and Adam on reception was very helpful and we were moved..we paid for breakfast not worth the money,7.95 each..it was not very nice..coffee was disgusting..Saturday night we decided to have evening meal ..we waited 40 mins for this and when it arrived it was cold..the bar man also waiter was absent from the bar,and a customer waited so long for a drink he actually helped himself and left the money on the bar.the location is good ,the place is tired, but we never spent too much time there anyway.. I did find the staff very helpful,,would probably stay again as its within my budget

• Stayed October 2012
Dear kez1410,

Thank you for your post.

It is always good to get positive feedback from our customers after they have stayed with us. We will make sure the hotel receive a copy of your compliment.

With regards to the concerns you’ve raised, your valuable comments will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback.

Been to Travelodge London Farringdon? Share your experiences!