“Loction and good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Metropole

Save Saved
You added Hilton London Metropole to your Saves list
Hilton London Metropole
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Edgware Road, London W2 1JU, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £100
Ranked #556 of 1,075 hotels in London
Carlsabd, California
“Loction and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

Checked in for a 3 day stay to meet my son and his room mate. (he studies in Ireland) I arrived early in the morning and the desk folks checked me in and held my luggage until the room was available. The room was excellent, and very clean. Bed was great and the location is 5 minutes walk from Paddington Station (Heathrow Express) and down the street from the Edgeware Road tube station. Perfect! Everyone was great. Downside- the hotel restaurant/bars are VERY pricey. A short walk/tube ride fixes that problem. Cheers!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

3,811 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Uppsala, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

This afternoon I returned from a 4 night stay at the Metropole.
I had made an online booking for myself and my daughters at this hotel already in July, before having read any (unfavourable)reviews. I had been convinced by the price, £94 a night for a triple room in central London is not bad at all.
We stayed in the Tower, not an exactly splendid part of the Hilton but okay. Unfortunately there was just one chair to sit on which was about the amount of furniture that would fit in the space, but after a long day of shopping (the Christmas sales require a lot of strength and good feet) we needed to lie down instead of sit, and the beds were nice and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and well kept with fresh supplies of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, showering gel and bars of soap.
I liked the pool area, a bit crowded with children which ment poor swimming for the adults, but a very nice sauna and a lovely steam room - and wonderful staff!
The breakfast was too expensive for what you eat, at least if you are a bunch of slim females.
The area could be a problem according to how you feel about immigrants. The hotel is very close to Paddington (you take the Heathrow Express from here) from where you walk easily just down Praed Street if you travel with rather light luggage, this is convenient as it saves both time and money. We found it no problem at all to walk daily to the tourist and shopping areas and back, and only took the bus on our last day. But all of Edgware road feels like some Arab neighbourhood, London is not English round here but very cosmopolitan.
My overall experience: value for money for the traveller, but not a honeymoon hotel.

• Liked — situated close to Paddington, not too far from the shopping areas
  • Disliked — the area is crowded with non-European immigrants
  • Tips/Secrets — book on the internet to get a good price, ask for a room in one of the newer wings, have breakfast elsewhere in the neighbourhood
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2006

My partner and I have stayed here on three occassions over the past 4 years. The location is fantastic - across the road from Edgeware Station and a couple of blocks from Paddington.
The breakfast offered as part of the deal is great, the rooms in the new wing are large and very comfortable. Lots of little restaurants offering great food quite inexpensivlely - for London.
My suggestion would be to try the El Mino Restaurante at 25 Sale Place, just around the corner. A set 3 course meal for 16 pounds - and its great quality and a good atmospehere.

Stayed November 2006
Brighton, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

We stayed here for one night just to do a bit of Christmas shopping in London.

Its location is great. You have a choice of two underground stations within 2 mins walking distance. One for the bakerloo line and the other for the district and circle. Opposite the hotel is an M&S and various coffee places within a mintues walk such as Starbucks, Nero etc. Walking time down Edgeware Road to the Marble Arch and the top of Oxford Street is 10 mins. If its shopping you want its best to walk as its quicker than dealing with the underground we thought.

Its a very busy hotel so be prepared for a bit of a wait whilst checking in. We had to wait a little longer than usual because of a computer problem but that couldnt be helped. None of the staff that we had dealings with were British, a mixture of languages and cultures. A would say I recieved a standard service no more and no less.

We stayed on the 13th floor with a fantastic view of the city in a standard room. All very clean with nice up to date decor. Huge comfortable bed, fridge, hair dryer, safe and ironing board all included. I have no complaints with the room at all.

We used the Sauna, Steam and Swimming pool on the second floor. Cant fault anything here, staff were helpful and everything was well maintained. Didnt have time to use the gym but it looked like any other Livingwell Ive used in the past with everything you need.

We were out quite late, too late to eat in the restaurant so we had some bar food snacks instead with drinks. Everything in the hotel is very expensive but then all Hiltons are the same as are all the other hotel chains out there, so I personally expect high prices when I stay in a hotel unfortunately

The breakfast buffet was fantastic. Practically everything you would ever want for breakfast is catered for. Hot, Cold, Pastries, Cerals and Fresh Fruit. Do like we did, had loads to eat here and no need for lunch!

All in all considering the size and the amount of staff Hilton must employ here I would stay again and would recomend for family and for business use.

• Stayed December 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2006

After arriving on an early flight and waiting about four hours I checked into a deluxe room on the 7th floor. The room was fresh and adequately furnished but the furniture style was bland. Beside queen bed and usual desk, a comfortable easy chair and ottoman were provided. The only issue was the fadded/discolored tiles on the bathroom floor. The room was in the tower with only executive rooms. The other tower might be better or worse.

Stayed for only two nights. Used the cable internet in the room, but it was priced at GBP15, which is, well, simply outrageous.

The Executive Lounge was small but well appointed and the staff at the desk accomodating and helpful. Breakfast was cold except for boiled eggs; evening tidbits were good and abundant.

Ate once in the restaurant on the ground floor; OK but took forever. British cooks, however, seem not to have learned how to turn out a decent tomato soup! So many ways to make a good bowl, I was surprised that they chose the way resulting in a tasteless liquid! Rest of meal was OK.

I judged the hotel to be well above average for reasonable price. London hotels must lead the world in expense.

Didn't venture out but the Edgeware Road tube station is across the street.

• Liked — Quality of service
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
Greystones, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2006

I was attending a conference in the Hotel and the room was included as part of the package.

My room (a deluxe room) was in the west wing, on the twelfth floor.

The room was large, equipped with tea/coffee facility, trouser press, ironing board & iron, and a mini-bar. The window stretched from floor to ceiling and I'm sure if the weather was nice I would have enjoyed a wonderful view, however as the weather was miserable I could only just make out Westminster and the London Eye through the gloom.

The location of the Hotel is great. Ten minutes down the Edgeware road takes you to Marble Arch. You could take a bus, but it's nice to walk in London. Five minutes away along Praed St, you'll find Paddington Station with a rail link to Heathrow, so it's well connected.

The hotel is clean and well appointed, however the staff can be a bit off-putting. At reception they guy at the desk was quite rude. As a first time visitor, how am I to know there's a conference check-in around the corner? It's not signposted! In the lobby bar, which is NOT cheap, I had to ask for my change from the bar-tender, who made a fuss of having to reopen the till.

Dinner was included as part of the conference and can't be faulted. Despite the large number, the food was better than some good restaurants I've had the pleasure to dine in.

The highlight was the breakfast. Despite there being no Rice Krispies (the one thing I look forward to when I stay in a hotel), I can have no complaints! Plenty of choice cereal-wise and a hugh selection at the hot counter, including haggis. They even have fried bread. Plenty of pastries and breads to go along with it too.

Another nice touch is the selection of teas one can choose from, however I'm a coffee drinker and the pot of coffee left on my table was huge and appreciated.

Being able to check out by phone is a great bonus too.

I'd certainly consider staying here on my next leisure trip to London.

• Liked — The breakfast.
  • Disliked — The bar prices. As for the mini-bar... Forget it!
  • Tips/Secrets — Try get a room in the Tower or east wing.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2006

My husband and I just got back from a London/Paris vacation that we booked through Globus. So our stay at this Hilton was part of the package. I was not sure if we would be happy with it as I'd read some of the TA reviews. However we were pleasantly surprised. Upon checking in they did try to put us in a twin bed room, but when our Globus rep stepped in they gladly moved us to a king. We must have been in the area that has been renovated because our room was nice and seemed fairly new. No rooms with a view at this hotel. The breakfast was included in our package (maybe pricey otherwise). It was probably the best hotel breakfast I've had. You pretty much have your choice of anything. Lots of pastries, eggs all different ways, omlet bar, cheeses, sausages, etc. They also have another rest., a bar, a coffee shop & a gift shop

The location was semi convienent in that there was a bus stop about a minute from the hotel. And is in walking distance to Oxford Street. There is a Mark & Spencer across the street with great takeout and a Starbucks a block away. Although this is a very ethnic area with many labanese places otherwise.

Overall- great experience and a nice Hilton.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton London Metropole? Share your experiences!