“Good, but tired room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Metropole

Save Saved
You added Hilton London Metropole to your Saves list
Hilton London Metropole
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Edgware Road, London W2 1JU, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 25%
Ranked #604 of 1,073 hotels in London
“Good, but tired room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Reading some reviews, I wonder if people research a hotel before staying there. The metropole website makes clear it's a big hotel so no point expecting intimacy. Similarly, research the area. Some reviewers seem not to want to walk the two blocks that take one to broader cuisine. My experience of several stays has been good. The exec lounge is good though hearing some guests' requests they seem to expect it to be a full bar. One criticism I agree with is that my room needed some painting and was a bit battered. Spotlessly clean , though. Also, it's a shame that china tea pots have been replaced with metal jugs at breakfast. I will stay here again.

Stayed August 2014

955 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Brough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It is too big to give a good service.

Checking in was a nightmare, even though we were told not to arrive at peak checking in time.

Our first room had been modernised but for a supposed executive room was very cramped.....We complained and they immediately arranged to move us to a more spacious room telling us that our luggage would be transported from our first room, but allow about 1o minutes. An hour later we were still waiting in our more spacious but rather 'tired' room. After a series of phone calls out luggage was duly delivered but left us short of time to get ready for our evening appointment.

The staff were all very obliging but it was just too large to give a good service.

I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for the refurbished wing
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at this Hotel with my wife and my 7 months baby. We had a great time,we got an excellent customer service from the hotel manager Mr. Avner. The rest of the staff were very helpful in everything we asked for. We enjoyed the generous breakfast.Location is just perfect to buses all over, the underground is just 1 min from hotel behind Marks and Spencer. Oxford street and Marbel Arch is just15 min walking. Paddington station is 8 min walking.

Upon going back to London, I will only stay at Hilton Metropole

George

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a grand 4-star review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you and your family had an enjoyable stay. We are proud of our leader’s exceptional expertise in the hotel industry. He is an inspiration to all our team members to enable us to deliver only the high level of service standards.

Thank you for the rest of your praises. We are very much looking forward to welcome you back at the Hilton London Metropole.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Overpriced if you are paying full rate. Some of the Hotel is good, other rooms are dated and in desperate need of modernising. The non-smoking room smelt of smoke and you could not even open the window to get any fresh air in. I did not get my free water which I should get as an Hiltonhonors member.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor.

We endeavor to make every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Please accept our sincere apologies that you felt otherwise. Our team delivers Hilton Hhonors amenities from 3pm onwards on the day of arrival. If you arrived earlier than 3pm and you would like to receive the items immediately, just one call to our MAGIC team and these will be delivered swiftly to your room.

The renovation in our Tower Wing bedrooms will commence very soon. Rest assured that the standard and deluxe room categories will greatly improved condition: modernizing and maximizing its space.

Once again thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel.

Debrecen, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a huge hotel complex, an attractive building with excellent transportation (railway, underground and bus nearby) close to a number of attractions. Nice décor and furniture, elegant marble bathroom, large TV screen, laptop size safe, indoor swimming pool are on the positive side. It has the makings of a good hotel… but it’s not. I am a Hhonors gold member and visited already a few hotels of this chain (and others), but I must say it is not up to Hilton standards. This mega size comes naturally with a soulless feel, but in addition there are severe management problems here. The paid (costly) upgrade to an executive room resulted in a rather crimped room, where the hinged cupboard doors (hiding the safe, tea-kettle, drawers and practically everything) efficiently blocked the narrow corridor. The WiFi was not slow or weak, but absolute useless (east wing 327). This was probably the most annoying thing, reported on our first day. I was assured unequivocally by concierge and executive lounge staff that nobody ever complained about it and I was instructed to call BT and file a claim with their operator (!) who after 30 minutes over the phone discussion rebooted the routers. Unfortunately nothing happened, but at least I learned that my room was halfway between two transmitters. I was sorry for the roughly 2,5 hours wasted to this matter and decided not to waste further hours with changing the room and kept using WiFi in public areas only. The other major disappointing feature was the swimming pool which felt overall messy. When we visited, there was swimming class for kids and ¼ of the small pool was roped off, which in itself was acceptable. But to our surprise there were visitors wearing street walkers in the pool area despite a witty corridor intended to block just this. (Plastic boots were nowhere in sight.) I envision the management’s explanation to these issues as related to contractors’ operational shortcomings. And that is exactly why there should be strong management at a brand hotel like this. Functioning routers, the following of general hygienic standards are basic requirements. Next time I will select another hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Avoid low floors due to busy intersections nearby. Check wifi before unpacking if it is important fo...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback on TripAdvisor.

We profusely apologise for the wifi issue you encountered. Please be assured that our internet service is contracted with only the top provider in the UK. The incident you detailed on your review had been passed on to their office for immediate resolution. With regards to spotted visitors walking without plastic boots by the pool area is completely unacceptable. Please be advised that this is not one of the usual observations we receive. The Health Club Manager has been alerted to ensure all team members are strictly implementing our set safety & security standards.

Once again thank you for your comments. We highly appreciate your valuable feedback. Hopefully this particular experience will not hinder you to return at the Hilton London Metropole.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Booked in over the bank holiday - so was busy with weddings and tourists.
Had to queue for checking in, room was fine.
Disappointment came the next morning when we went to the 3rd floor as due to. The number of people staying at the hotel including wedding guests, they had added an overflow for breakfast on another floor.
My husband had to wait for the eggs to come, no one manning the hot buffet. By the time he bought the hot breakfast to the table, my 4 and 7 year old had lost the will and didn't eat very much.
Where we sat, there wasn't one waiter who walked by in the whole time we were there for breakfast so having asked a waiter whether he could get a couple of cakes for my two young girls and not hearing back from him after he said he will go and check - I decided to cut an apple for them as there were no pastries/cakes left 30 mins before closing!
By now they were very hungry and we had already wasted half the morning at breakfast going back and forth trying to find waiters for teas and coffees, the hot buffet etc.
I finally put all the excess dirty pots on eh table next to us as we were now losing the will!

We called the manager over (Mr Ajit Kumar) who I may add was asked by my husband for some Tabasco sauce and was again not responded to so my husband gave up!
We complained to him who said he escalate the who experience to the general manager who would communicate back to my husband with an email.
We were offered a free breakfast as a result ( only after my husband stated to Mr Kumar it wasn't worth the money we had paid for it).

Having survived breakfast - we went to check out ( now nearly midday) and reception was pure chaos with people wanting to check out!
We waited nearly 45 mins to check out as the lady (Ms Debora Di'Sano ) checking us out tried to contact Mr Kumar in orde to confirm the free breakfast - however of course Mr Kumar was nowhere to be contacted.
She tried several other managers but to no avail and in the end took ownership as queues were building, my 2 young ones were obviously getting agitated and so in the end she closed off our account without any mangers authority and kindly sorted the free breakfasts for us and apologised for our experience.
I agree with other reviewers - the hotel is highly understaffed, lack of training for managers.
It's a shame as we have stayed there before many times never had problems and never experienced nothing like it anywhere in the world ( the fact that management just showed a didn't care attitude).
Highly disappointed

Room Tip: Higher floors I am assuming had less noise ( we were on the 7th floor)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, today
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are very disappointed and concern of the incidents you detailed. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please be assured that what you have experienced is not the usual high level of service standards we are accustomed to deliver.

We would like to make it right for you and in order to do that we require further information. Please send us the following through cbs.londonmet@hilton.com:

• Date of arrival and departure
• Name on the booking
• Confirmation number

Hopefully you will give us a chance and we will be able to be of service with you again.

Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Hilton London Metropole for a conference in June, 2014. Having never been to London before, I didn't know what to expect. Arriving at the hotel from my transatlantic flight, I couldn't wait to get into my room and have a shower. Unfortunately, my room wasn't ready but the kind woman checking me in, quickly found me a room that was available. I was so pleased about this, until I entered the room. I had booked a 'deluxe' room, but what I found was tiny, cramped, old and dingy - and had two single beds, each with a gross polyester bedspread circa 1975. I immediately called down to the front desk to acknowledge being checked in early, but that the room I had was not acceptable (and not what was booked and paid for). The young man I spoke to put me on hold for a very long time - when he came back online he indicated that there was nothing he could do. Disappointed, I packed up my things and went back to the front desk to speak to a manager.

Fortunately, I got the same woman who checked me in immediately - I didn't have to speak to manager. She apologized for the inconvenience and found me a new (upgraded) room. The second room was far superior to the first - even though it had two double beds, it looked much cleaner and had clearly been renovated.

The conference at the hotel was being attended by nearly 2,000 people - I found the hotel in general had a hard time keeping up with the demand that comes with that many people. That said, I can't really fault the hotel for this as hundreds of people were staying at surrounding hotels, but because the conference was at the Metropole, they had drinks and meals here.

The restaurants in the hotel are average, there is a great pret-a-manger across the street, and a decent coffee shop kitty corner to the hotel. Other than that, you will have to walk a ways for a good meal unless you want Lebanese/Indian food.

The hotel is very close to some good shopping on Oxford St. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Metropole (eventually), but it got off to a rough start!

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for an upgraded/renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. We do have several room types in the hotel and the most modern ones are the Superior categories. Our Tower Wing bedrooms, where standard and deluxe rooms are located, will shortly be refurbished to maximize space and modernize condition. We suggest considering choice of room type at the time to booking in order to avoid disappointment.

We are the largest Hilton property in Europe and as a business hotel we cater to hundreds of large events. This is the main clientele that we have and you can be assured that we are experts on handling various conferences.

Hopefully we will be able to host your event at another time or welcome you back on a separate business trip in London.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton London Metropole? Share your experiences!