“Excellent stay. great location” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bryanston Street, London W1H 7EH, England (Marylebone)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #339 of 1,073 hotels in London
Aberdeen Uk
“Excellent stay. great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night stay and was very pleased with all aspects of my stay, the room was large and very quiet, very comfortable and large bed. There were small queues for breakfast but they were managed very efficiently and there was an extensive breakfast menu. The staff were very helpful and efficient. Will have no hesitation booking again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TMA_Hotel_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Marble Arch, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about the Thistle Marble Arch Hotel. I am glad you have had a lovely stay with us, I was incredibly proud to relay your feedback to my team.

Your views are very much appreciated, we are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and we thank you for complimenting our hotel and hotel team

Thank you once again for taking the time to keep us informed of our comments via TripAdvisor. If I can be of any assistance in the meantime please contact me directly.

2,352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Ok so to be perfectly honest with you I would have rated this hotel as a 4 if the room I stayed in was brought up to date. The location is superb for shopping in Oxford Street and I guess that is why the hotel can probably get away with leaving the rooms looking somewhat tired.

Considering the hotel was exceptionally busy , in fact queues to check in I found the staff on reception very pleasant and welcoming. Special mention to Alex in Maramor Restaurant he was excellent , very attentive and polite. I was dining on my own because I was staying in the hotel for business and he made me feel really comfortable. The restaurant had just changed its menu that day and the staff recommended the new additions what I did order and was very impressed, no complaints about the Smoked Haddock pie it was delicious!

One other person I would like to mention, unfortunately I didn't get his name but I think he is part of the concierge team, he helped me on my departure. Basically the hotel layout is slightly bizarre ,on arrival you walk into the lobby and you are immediately greeted with escalators up to reception and hotel rooms but to leave , you walk down a few flights of stairs that are parallel with the escalators. Why they didn't put in escalators to go down aswell is beyond me. I had a heavy suitcase and two other pieces of luggage and the member of staff stood at the top of the stairs actually carried my case down for me and then got me a taxi: well done, great service it's those small details that boost your experience in a hotel.

On the negative side the WI-FI is a fortune , this really really frustrates me when so many hotels now offer free WI-FI , and lets face it at over £200 per night for a mediocre room, you should expect to get complimentary wi fi.

If you are a smoker they do have rooms you can smoke in, I'm not but at least you smokers out there have the option.

Overall my room was clean and spacious the staff were great and made my stay much more satisfactory , but I would strongly recommend that this hotel updates its rooms, offers free wi fi and it would score a lot higher and get business people staying more than once, unfortunately I won't be booking to stay here again as it doesn't really cater for me. The furniture in the rooms ie. TV unit and bedside tables are all a bit worn and tatty looking and the carpets are definitely stuck in a time warp.

Oh and one more thing room service is prompt and they phone you afterwards to see if you enjoyed your food,meh inch was a nice touch.

Certain parts of my stay I would rate as 4 star but other elements I would have to give it a 2 rating.
Mixed views , however a lot of scope for improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for one "not "on the Oxford Rd side very loud and busy also ask if they have any recen...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Thistle Marble Arch Hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointments you experienced with your initial room; my Chief Engineer and Executive Head Housekeeper have taken the necessary actions to ensure that as a team we are constantly updating and improving the bedroom standards that we provide to our guests. However thank your for your positive comments about our hotel. It is great to see that overall you have enjoyed the hotel facilities and team. Your comments have been re-laid to the team by our Heads of Department, whom have given out the necessary recognition for your feedback.

Furthermore, I can reassure you that we are currently upgrading our internet system with our internet provider, BTOpenzone and should be able to offer complimentary internet to our guests in the near future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review; we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Thistle Marble Arch is located a stone's throw away from Oxford street, bus stops and the Marble Arch tube station. Only a few minutes walk to Marks& Spencer, Selfridges, etc. Its close proximity to the tube station (central line) makes travelling anyway an absolute breeze. Nice to be able to quickly walk back to the hotel (or hop on a bus) to drop of shopping bags during the day. Room was spacious with ample storage space, as well as clean and neat. The bathroom is also spacious in London terms. Friendly and helpful staff. Sign up for the Signature Rewards Program and enjoy 30 minutes of free WiFi per day, as well as a free Sunday night's accommodation and Sunday afternoon lunch during your next stay.

Room Tip: If you would like a quiet room, ask for a room that does not face Oxford street. Certain rooms have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TMA_Hotel_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Marble Arch, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to give us your positive and constructive feedback, your views are very much appreciated.

All of our TripAdvisor comments are shared on a daily basis in our morning meetings; they are then re-laid to all our team members. The necessary actions are then taken to ensure that as a team we are constantly adapting and improving the service we provide to our guests.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back here to the Thistle Marble Arch hotel in the near future. If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime, please do contact me directly.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in Nov 2012 and had a great stay!
The best thing about this hotel is that it is a 1 minutes walk to Oxford Street. The Marble Arch Station too is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Which makes it very easy to get about London.
The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The rooms are a little small but i guess that's how the rooms are in that part of the world. Rooms/ Toilets are rather average and has coffee/tea, hairdryer and ironing facilities. The breakfast was good with a lot of variety but if you are having a long stay at the hotel there is no variation in breakfast items so It is the same thing everyday. The staff working at the restaurant during breakfast are very nice, friendly and always help you with a smile.
I had a great stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has some bigger rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TMA_Hotel_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Marble Arch, responded to this review, November 16, 2012

Somerset UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in November for Christmas shopping and a show. Ideally located near Marble Arch tube and just yards from the shops on Oxford Street.
We booked it as a 'hidden gem' as we had done for our stay at the Cumberland during the Olympics.
The cost was reasonable compared to London 4 star prices but was for a standard room.
On checking in I enquired about an upgrade to a deluxe or an executive room. I was told that the deluxe room would cost an extra £20.00 a night and the executive room an extra £60.00 a night. The receptionist was honest enough to admit that there was no real difference between the standard and the deluxe rooms except that the latter was slightly wider.
We decided to stick with the standard.
On arrival in our room I sensed great feeling disappointment from my wife.
The room was small and tired. One of the light bulbs had burnt out and not been replaced, when we went to stack our clothes in the wardrobe we had to clean the dust off the shelves. There was a 'throw' on the bottom part of the bed which was filthy dirty and stained with all sorts of unimaginable things.
The room faced Oxford Street and whilst it was secondary glazed, the traffic noise was loud (our room at the Cumberland 300metres away also faced Oxford Street but was quiet as the glazing was far superior).
It was at this stage I went to reception to complain.
The receptionist we saw this time could not have been more apologetic or more helpful. He moved us without delay to an Executive room at no extra charge.
The room was spacious, well equipped (but sadly no bath robes) and above all was quiet.
If the rest of the rooms were at the same standard as the rooms on the 5th floor and the same standard as the public areas on the first floor then it would be a better hotel all round.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry for the shortfalls you experienced with our standards and service here at the Thistle Marble Arch Hotel, all feedback given to us by our guests is passed on to my team on a daily basis. It is then used as a training tool so as to ensure we are constantly adapting our service standards.

We do appreciate our guests’ feedback and take the necessary measures to rectify incidents that occur once notified of them. I’m most disappointed to read of your comments pertaining to your initial room, our Executive Head Housekeeper and Chief Engineer are aware of your comments and have taken the necessary actions to prevent disappointments such as yours reoccurring in the future.

I do hope you give us a second chance in order that we can prove to you; we have taken the necessary actions based on your feedback and improved noticeably as a result. If I can be of any assistance in the meantime please contact me directly.

kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had read reviews suggesting that the Oxford St side of the hotel is very noisy so asked to be moved to a room at the back. The extremely friendly and helpful receptionist had a look on screen and gave us the key to room 458 which I later found out is an executive twin. Lovely room. Spotlessly clean bathroom (with bath AND shower), very comfortable beds. Absolutely no complaints about the room. The only thing that spoilt the night was the noise from the adjoining room at 02:30 when the people arrived back to start a drunken party ! This was no fault of the hotel though. Would definitely stay here again. All of the staff were very courteous and the location is fantastic for shopping.

Room Tip: As stated previously, ask for a room on the south side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TMA_Hotel_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Marble Arch, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Thistle Marble Arch Hotel. We are delighted that you had a positive stay with us and we thank you for complimenting our hotel and team.

Furthermore thank you for providing a tip to our future guests, we do offer guests options of both inside facing rooms or a room with a view and we always do our best to accommodate all requests. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon to our property.

Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed for two nights 9/10 November and were upgraded to an Executive room which was big, clean, well decorated and comfortable. The bathroom had both bath/shower and walk-in shower. Check in service was first class and all staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Yes, breakfast was challenging but the queues were handled efficiently. Hotel very close to the tube station, Oxford Street on your doorstep and an array of restaurants are available within walking distances. Quite pricey though, however it was the weekend of The Lord Mayors Parade and Remembrance Sunday so maybe this was the reason for higher than usual prices.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TMA_Hotel_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Marble Arch, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about the Thistle Marble Arch Hotel. I am glad you have had a pleasant stay with us.

Your views are very much appreciated, we are delighted that you had a lovely time in London and we thank you for complimenting our hotel and hotel team.

If I can be of any assistance in the meantime please contact me directly.

Thistle Marble Arch Hotel

Been to Thistle Marble Arch? Share your experiences!