“Attentive pleasant service, delicious breakfast, comfortable quiet room, lovely garden view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jumeirah Carlton Tower

You added Jumeirah Carlton Tower to your Saves list
Jumeirah Carlton Tower
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   On Cadogan Place, London SW1X 9PY, England (Belgravia)   |
Ranked #88 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

We had a good city stay convenient to Knightsbridge and underground in quiet leafy location. Slight hiccup on checking out was due to wrong breakfast bill being presented and my signing, despite not being able to read it :) However receptionist and manager sorted this amicably removing charges. All staff were pleasant and constantly keen to offer service . Previous reviewers had forewarned of mini-bar prices so we maintained a safe distance from it.The bed was comfortable with crisp linen sheets and the windows looked out onto pretty city square gardens. The gym is awesome on the 9th floor with panoramic windows looking over the city and ease of access to high spec equipment. I wish the temperature in there had been a few degrees less though.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Tewkesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

had to go to London on business and wanted to try something new.

Very warm welcome and personal check-in. My room was up-graded to a junior suite, very much appreciated. The room was tip top, all very comfortable. Only sag was the hidden TV which took me a while to sort.

Great food and service, especially breakfast. Only comment would be how do you get away with charging £27 for a cup of tea with some toast and a bowl of cereal? But than it is London.

All in all very comfortable and very convenient location.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

My girlfriend and I were extremely disappointed and annoyed with our stay at the hotel.
Right from the moment we parked the car and checked in until the end of our stay at breakfast ; this was an appalling experience. The staff are rude, arrogant and generally unwelcoming. The hotel standard/decor in general is fair and lacks any wow factor. The only positive aspect is the pool and gym.
I complained to several members of staff (dirty bathroom, size and standard of the 'deluxe room' fell considerable below expectations) including the duty weekend manager who by the way was quite rude and patronizing. At the point of check-out, I was assured the general manager would contact me very shortly after my stay, and no surprise a week on I have heard absolutely nothing!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
JumeirahCarltonTower, Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, March 9, 2010
Dear Guest,

We are extremely disappointed to read your negative comments which are certainly not reflective of the ethos and style of our property. I also take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments about our Pool and gym facilities which are a huge draw for many of our return guests.

We sympathise with your view about the size of your room which are smaller in comparison to our Dubai Hotels where space is less of a premium. I note that in your case from our records we extended a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe room overlooking the gardens but regretfully you were still not satisfied with this room.

We endeavour to accommodate and fulfil all our guests requests and wish to see our guests satisfied and looking forward to their next visit with us , I am disappointed that we were not able to fulfil your needs on this occasion.

Jersey UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

I stay in London frequently, both for business and pleasure, and have used many hotels with varying degrees of satisfaction. But now I've found one I really feel at home in. This was my second stay at The Carlton Tower. The first time was good, although the room was a tad small. This time I was given Room 1206 and it was excellent - larger, comfortable, everything worked, bedding, towels etc of high quality. The staff are universally excellent. I was checked in by Dominique who couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Concierge, bell staff perfectly efficient. Lobby staff welcoming and warm. And breakfast is a treat in the Rib Room, my smoked salmon and scrambled eggs this morning were spot on. So I am very happy and will certainly return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliment and taking time to write your review on your recent stay with us.

I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with the service offered.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Jumeirah Carlton Tower in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

athens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

I know this hotel for the past 20years ,unfortunately i notice that the last 3 years there is a constant deteroration in standard of services. Except Rib room staff the receptionist is awful and unhelpful the choinerie lounge is the no-service area. Rooms have old window frames and there is noice coming from busy Sloane street. Recently the hotel is full of teenagers of arab origin who create a lot of noice and lack of manners.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
JumeirahCarltonTower, Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your loyalty over the past 20 years as stated and hope that we may be able to resolve any issues with the hotel that you have experienced recently.

We are disappointed to read your comments and would wish to point our desire to resolve all complaints in a mutually beneficial fashion when they are brought to our attention.

In relation to the specific comment about the Window frames I am happy to advise you that these are all being replaced as part of a rolling program.

We hope that you will expand on your other comments with us on a return visit.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

It was a very interesting experience. We were offered a 2 for 1 deal with Amex which we thought we would take up and enjoy an early Valentines experience involving a couple of days in Knightsbridge with shows and dinner etc.

There was a little confusion on check-in due to the agent confirming a room in the Jumeirah Lowndes [the boutique hotel just round the corner] rather than at the Carlton which is the better property. We were informed that the reservation was at the wrong property, mistakes do happen and an easy mistake to make to considering they are in such close proximity. What bothered me however was the way the Carlton attempted to resolve the situation. They confirmed they had availability and would honour the 2 for 1 deal at the Carlton but we would have to pay for a night at the Lowndes. How difficult would it have been to transfer a reservation to a sister property in the same group? It was penny pinching and they put us right in the middle of it. Amex were not impressed, I was not impressed. The check-in clerk did the running backwards and forwards movements conveying the responses from her supervisor who did not have the common courtesy to speak to us directly.

In their position I would have wanted to keep the customer happy and have spoken to Amex directly and acknowledged we were prepared to pay more for a room at their property and have treated us with the respect of giving us a coffee while we were waiting. Not making us feel like they didn't really want us to be there. I do also hold gold Sirius status. What an embarrassment for them!

Throughout my time at reception I was just waiting and waiting for them to just call their hotel manager to personalise the service to us. Am I as a guest not important enough to meet people higher up in the chain? It just dragged on and on going back and forth and my experience of high end places suggested a better way of handling an issue such as this would have been easy. Staff need to have the confidence to escalate issues to the most appropriate people and not be so arrogant as to assume they can deal with it themselves.

After seeing our annoyance and my comments that it was handled in the worst possible manner, the Hotel Manager did the right thing and called us and had a 20 min chat. He did upgrade us to a nice suite and sent champagne and afternoon tea which was very classy. It shouldn't have got to that stage though but it was a very decent and compassionate way to deal with the issue. On the final day we did want to extend check-out till 4, they couldn't give us the same room till 4 but they arranged for another room to be available so we could change to go to an event at the Mandarin Oriental, I thought it was a very nice gesture. My point is these are reactionary gestures once a problem has been created, not proactive gestures that prevent the problem from arising - it is a lack of experience.

Breakfasts there were good but overpriced if you don't have it included in the room. Even if you do have it included in the room, they get you to sign the bill. They take off the breakfast price but leave the 12.5% service charge on your bill on check-out - what is that all about?!!! Penny pinching and I just told them to remove that from the bill. To me an inclusive breakfast is just that - inclusive don't try to charge me anything for it!

The pool was very nice, the steam and sauna rooms are separate for men and women and are unimpressive. Yes it is a middle-eastern owned chain but we are in the UK and it would have been more pleasant to go into the steam room with my girlfriend so we could have a chat and enjoy the facilities together. So forget about the spa experience if you are using this as a couples retreat for a few days there is a nice property just down the road.

There is a lobby bar which is very nice and elegant and there was a lady playing the harp which was a very nice experience. I must also comment on wireless, there is no free wireless and the tariffs to access were about £20 a day which was uneconomical for just checking your mails. The monthly tariff if you are staying a long while is £450/month - crazy!!! Water in the room was £7 for 500ml. I know alot of wealthy people and it is the wealthy people that watch the prices on these little bits and pieces.

Overall, I enjoyed the location and experience. I felt I had to fight to get what I got and sadly it felt like a premium property struggling to come to terms with Jumeirah. A property which has had to increase prices to stay profitable. There are alot of middle eastern businessmen in the hotel which is nice to see. The hotel is however struggling for an identity and it shows, the check-in clerks need to have a little more experience and awareness of the options that travellers have. The Mandarin Oriental is just down the road - I could have stayed there instead and will do next time.

The Mandarin Oriental is in a similar position to the Jumeirah, expanding it's hotel base. But, they do it very differently. They take ownership of any issues you may have and handle your issues in a humble and experienced manner. I would have expected more attentive service considering I hold Jumeirah Gold status which I feel is not really valued here. This is not the best business hotel in the UK I don't care how the ratings were calculated - there is still a long way to go.

Regardless of the best efforts of staff, I don't feel confident that there won't be a similar incident in future therefore I do not intend coming back here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We spent a couple of days over New Year at Jumeirah Carlton Tower and I must say I was very satisfied with the service the Hotel provided. I booked a Garden Suite and asked the Hotel if it would be possible to see the fireworks from the room prior arrival. Once we cheked in we got an upgrade to a Executive Suite free of charge and the room was compared to the Garden suite 15sqm bigger than. All service from reception, housekeeping was excellent, every day we got a nice surpise on our room and even on New Years eve we got a bottle of Champagne free of charge. The Hotel is located next to Knightsbridge tube station. The area around the hotel is very pleasent and also the coffee offered by the Hotel at check in was a very nice touch. The sofa bed for the third person was set up every day for the night by the housekeeping every day so we were able to use the living room during the day as a sitting area. Last but not least, the indoor pool is brilliant. And yes, the hotel is not cheap, but if you consider all the service you get, with all extras the prioce is fair compared to London and the time (new year eve) we stayed there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Jumeirah Carlton Tower? Share your experiences!