“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Promotion
Ranked #67 of 1,075 hotels in London
Ipswich
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

I booked my stay at this hotel Via Londontown.com which i would definetly recommend as i managed to get it for a very good price. We booked two rooms and i emailed the hotel to ask whether it would be possible to have views over the River Thames and they allocated me two rooms both with amazing views over the river. One room was slightly smaller than the other even though the same price was paid but both rooms were immaculate and extremely comfortable. The breakfast provided was also very good. The staff were friendly and i would definetly recommend the hotel to anyone and shall be returning myself.

• Liked — Location and decadence
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

2,235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2006

I've stayed in some amazing hotels and some hole in the walls...this one was just ok. Not great, not terrible. After reading the reviews I wasn't sure if i should cancel the reservation. The reviews were right on the money.. if you are looking for the best location in London, this is it. The staff is friendly. The linens were nice. Heated towel bar in the bathroom is nice plus and the water pressure in the shower is excellent. Room was warm & quiet, although paint was peeling from one wall. Beds were REALLY UNcomfortable. It felt like I was sleeping on the box spring. Disgusting greasy stains on the headboard was a serious turnoff. Uck..still turns my stomach. I've included a picture which looks really nice but the entire headboard was stained from other guests heads leaning on the fabric. The pillows conceal it well. If you can look past this and the price of the room, you will be quite happy at Horseguards. I do have to admit the entire time I was there I was thinking that I could stay at the Four Seasons in the US for the same price and be so much more comfortable. Good luck!

• Liked — fantastic location
  • Disliked — shabby rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2006

It was a dream come true to stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel, yes it has been a dream for about 30 years! And now I finally was going to spend a weekend there. And I din´t get dissappointed in any way. We got a really warm welcome at the reception when arriving at the hotel. We had booked a Deluxe room with river view and this I really can recomend. It was a beautiful room with a great view ower the Thames, The London eye and the city of London. Even from the marble bathroom we had a wonderful view through the whole glassed balcony door. The room was lovely furnitured and the colours where warm and nice (red, gold and yellow). The room was so fresch and clean and the beds very nice. It was a great room and rather big.
Having read some complains about the breakfast we were prepered for the worth but now we wonder if we have stayed at the same hotel as thoose who complained ? Yes, we had to wait a short while for a table on the sunday morning but only for about 5 minutes, during that time we sat in a comfortable chairs reading the newspaper. We dont´t think 5 minutes is a long waiting, and the hotel was fully booked. The breakfast room was so calm and nicly furnitured. The buffé had all that we wanted and the staff were friendly and helpfull.
The location of the hotel is the best I´ve ever had in London. It was close to almost everything on booth sides of the river Thames.
The Royal Horseguards Hotel is a hotel that I really can reccomend !

• Liked — I´d like everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a romm with river view
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

I'm rating this hotel above average for the price because of...location! A couple of blocks from Trafalgar Square, maybe 4 from Big Ben and Parliament, 1/2 block to Embankment Station, perfect. We checked in early but were able to leave our bags with the concierge which was very convenient. I had booked online and printed out everything for reference. When checking in we could have upgraded and gotten the robes already promised online for 30 pounds a night more, and a view of the Thames for 40 pounds a night more. Made a comment that I had expected a view when staying for 4 nights instead of a short weekend but got a blank look so let it go. Got a 9th floor room with a rooftop view that was quite lovely though. Really no complaints on the room except for the mold on the grout in the shower. Certainly not expected at this price. Also, bathroom was configured with the toilet tucked in the corner so you had to be careful not to touch the hot towel rack. Bed was great. We didn't do the breakfast offered at a premium but bought pastries each night for the following morning at one of the shops in the area and were quite happy with that and tea made in the room. Housekeeping was very discreet except for a bell the first morning to see if we had used anything from the minibar. Again, the location is great for walking to most of the tourist places if you like to walk and very convenient to the tube. Will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

Hotel in a great location with friendly staff BUT I asked for a non-smoking room and had to be moved when I didnt recieve one. To be fair to the hotel we did check in at 11.30 and they gave us the room right away BUT moved us later to the smallest room in the hotel, the bathroom was so tiny I could not stand upright in the shower.
Breakfast on Sunday morning was a shambles, I have never had to wait 30mins to be seated at any hotel especially for a buffet breakfast.
Overall the hotel is inexpensive for London and the location out weights all the other problems we experienced. I would visit again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room size - tiny bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat breakfast early, at peak times the wait is not worth it
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

After reading the reviews below, was a tiny bit apprehensive about my stay - but I always prefer to make up my own mind and I'm really glad I gave it a try.

This is probably the best hotel I have stayed at in London in terms of the room I got.
I didn't ask for an upgrade, or get offered one, but I found myself in a fabulous, massive room, with views over the River Thames, and the London Eye, right outside my window, up on the 8th floor.

Room was huge with a sofa and chair as well as the huge bed, and the bathroom wqas immaculate too.

The best bit was the windows though - they were bay style so I had views of the full length of the Embankment, all the way to big ben, and the front window was deep enough that I could sit up there just watching everything go by.

The staff weren't overly friendly or even overly competent, but that is par for the course in London Hotels, and it is the room that I go for every time.

Highly recommended, especially at weekend when it is less busy!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kent UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

We booked two nights at the 4/5-star Royal Horseguards Hotel in London a week or so ago, over the weekend.
We phoned ahead to let them know that we would not be able to check in till about 9pm. Lisa for Thistle Hotel Group said that was no problem, just turn up and our room would be waiting.
So we turned up dead on 9pm to be told the hotel was full. They acknowledged that we had phoned ahead. Reception went into a clearly conspiratorial huddle and came up with a room - 812. We were told that it was very near the elevator ( which in fact it certainly proved not to be). "It is a very good room, sir.".
Must say we were very wary, as clearly there was some sort of secret agenda but we decided to look at it. It was by no means the best room we had stayed in at this hotel - particularly because it had absolutely no view other than of a brick wall - but it seemed reasonably large and well appointed , if a little tired. Everything seemed in place. A good first nights sleep was had though there was the a clear smell of stale damp. Not in the bed linen but in the walls. What we took to be old damp patches above the bed in the ceiling.
Breakfast was a nightmare. They wers so busy that the queue we counted, at between twenty to thirty souls. We were offered alternative breakfast some distance away in a reception room where everything had either to be brought to us or collected by us.
The second night we were wakened about 4am by a gushing of water directly on to the bed. We moved inland but the water seemed to follow us until the rain outside stopped and the gush became a slow drip feed - the sound of Chinese water torture.
What to do? We were very tired, we tried to sleep through it - no such luck. My partners book was absolutely sodden, so reading was not really an option.
Went down early to breakfast after which I complained to the Guest Relations Manager called Sarah Wheeler. She appeared shocked despite the fact that clearly we had been given a room that was not meant to be offered to guests (I guess, unless the weather is dry and then as a last resort). We were extremely pleasant despite feeling very annoyed about our treatment.
You may ask what recompense we have been offered for this bad experience - perhaps a free stay at the hotel on another occasion or maybe at least our money back? Nope, we got exactly £12.99 recompense for the sodden book (to the penny, ie 99p in coins - not even the extra penny to take it to a clean £13) and ultimately an offer of an upgrade to a junior suite if we ever return to the hotel - within the next 6 months.
How crass and pathetic are these people? Do they think because we were so polite and didn't shout the odds that we are some sort of idiots happy to be offered a patronising sorry and gratitude that we "brought the matter to their attention".
Are there others out there who share my intense annoyance at the way these large hotel chains treat their customers with such disdain and arrogance? We have told them what they can do with their offer of an upgrade. As they know well, we have stayed many times before at this hotel - do you think that was a factor in their derisory offer of recompense?
So now we await the outcome of our refusal to accept their offer. If we get no satisfaction, we shall clearly take the matter further. We are so disillusioned and remain pessimistic that they will show some nous at this late stage and make us a decent offer, so that we regain some respect for a hotel that until now was one of our favourites..

• Liked — The position of the hotel
  • Disliked — The water bed
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring an umbrella and laminated picture book
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!