“Beautiful Hotel on Thames” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Promotion
Ranked #67 of 1,075 hotels in London
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful Hotel on Thames”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

Second trip to London and found this great hotel. I would say it earns its four stars. Great location on the Thames within walking distance to many attractions, but on a quiet street. Walk to St. James park, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, pubs, restaurants, etc. Our room did not face the Thames but was a good size. Our traveling companions' room faced the Thames, but was about half the size. Nice decor. Beautiful building. Thoroughly enjoyed & would recommend, especially for first time visitors of London.

2,239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2005

I was taken for a birthday treat, we had a superior room with a river thames view, lovely large room and the bathroom was massive nearly as big as the room. great view the only thing was that you could'nt open the windows which was silly. breakfast was good and nice to have cream tea in the lounge after a busy day. would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2003
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for two nights - at check in, they tried to talk us into "upgrading" our room for 20 pounds per night (at the exchange rate, that was almost $40). As we were already spending over $250 per night, we said no - they stuck us in a room that was very small and would have had a beautiful view of St. James Park were it not for the scaffolding and opaque plastic sheeting over the windows. (The hotel was NOT full, either - I think they put us here because we wouldn't pay to upgrade) The room was clean but pretty small - the bed pretty much took up the whole room.
The hotel is in a great location - very central in London, easy to get to all the big sites, including Big Ben and Westminster Abby, which are about a 5 minute walk.
The next problem was that the hotel had fire alarms both nights that we were there and we had to evacuate the hotel - the 2nd time, I had just gotten out of the shower! A big pain to have to stand out on the street for 15 minutes while the fire brigade checked things out.
When we checked out, I complained to the manager about the blocked window view and the fire alarms - she said she would take off the upgrade charge. When I pointed out that we had not taken the upgrade because we were already paying such a big price for the room and couldn't afford it, her response was basically "tough luck" and she refused to give us any kind of discount for the inconvenience.
Bottom line - great location, but too much $$ and not a pleasant experience overall. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2005

I've stayed here three times through Priceline. The first time I was given a huge room and beautifully appointed. Great bathroom with separate shower with six showerheads. The second time I was given something less than a maid's room. For a week's stay there wasn't even one drawer for clothes. Got changed to a slightly larger room that time. Apr 05 I was there for 5 nights and got a larger L shaped room in good shape. Inside room with no view, but that was all right as the outside toward the river was covered with scaffolding. Only problem with inside room was no cell reception. It was my 3rd hotel in London on this trip. I was shocked that they wanted $30 US for internet broadband wired access per day. I took my wireless laptop a block away to Starbucks since I have a Tmobile account. Had one dinner in and one breakfast in. Food was as good as it had been on my last trip. Staff was helpful. The maintenance was much better in the room this time. Fire alarm on the last night put everyone on the street at 1am for about a half hour while the fire department checked out the hotel. White terry robes and black shoes look goofy, moreso when a hundred people are so dressed.

Stayed April 2005
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

We stayed in a deluxe room with river view which was very nice. Location was exactly where we wanted to be with easy access to shops, attractions and theatre land. The only down side which seems to be a problem in London is the over the top pricing of food and drink and the attitude of the staff (particularly on reception). Overall i enjoyed this hotel and would return happily.

• Stayed February 2002
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

We stayed at the RH March 30 thru April 6. We are a family of five, plus my parents flew in from NJ. We had two double/double connecting rooms with a pullout couch in each room. Although close in space, the rooms were big enough to navigate without running into each other. Maid service was inconspicous, we left every morning and came back in the afternoons to find all beds made and towels replenished. I know some claim the breakfast (included in our rate) is redundant but with three kids ten and under, it was perfect. They all loved the eggs, oatmeal, fruit, danishes and sausage. It was great for the adults not to have to decide where to eat each morning. We'd dress for the day, go to breakfast and leave for the day from the dining room. Tube really is ridiculously close walk and we used it everyday. Walked behind the hotel and over the footbridge on a beautiful, sunny day to London Eye in less than five minutes. Garden and walk along Thames behind hotel is lovely. Walked through Royal Horseguards everyday( and each time kids thrilled at horses and guards) to St. James' Park to feed the ducks with my girl's while my husband and son played footie with the friendly locals on the beautiful green grass--did this every day in the afternoon after sightseeing all morning.
The concierge is friendly and eager but not overly informed. When stayed at Savoy in June, concierge never consulted guidebooks to recommend restaurants--at RH both times we asked for suggestions kind concerige consulted the guidebook I already had!!! No harm, no foul but a little disappointing if you're looking to be confident in where they recommend you go.
Also, building across the street from hotel is boarded up and the area is very dark at night( do not know why hotel doesn't light it up)--not scary but just empty. The husband and I walked back late Wednesday night after National Gallery and pub food and saw no one on the dark, unlit block leading to our hotel. A little unnerving so took taxis in the evening if out after 10 PM.
All in all, the hotel is nice, the employees are friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and nicely appointed and the location really is fantastic. Very cool to hear the bells of Big Ben play at six in the evening. You won't go wrong at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

I just finished a 7 night stay at the Horseguards while on business, and overall it was a very good experience. The location was teriffic - close to two tube stops and very near to Trafalger Square. It's also just a short walk to most of the major theatres in case you are interesting in attending those. The staff was very helpful and friendly - always taking time to answer my questions and help me when I needed advice. The included breakfast was also a plus - but it did get somewhat old by my 7th morning there because they never changed it up. The hallways somewhat crooked - but it added to the charm of this hotel and once I found my room the first night, I was good. I had a room with a view of the river, but the scaffolding was still up outside and I couldn't see anything. It didn't matter much though - I wasn't in the room that much. The only downside to the room is that the bed was terrible (others have posted differently - so I guess some rooms have newer ones). It was so uncomfortable that it hurt my back after sleeping on it for several days. This did not make for a comfortable flight back to the US. All in all, though, if you get a room with a good bed, this place is terrific.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!