“Excellent except for a couple of things” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Promotion
Ranked #67 of 1,075 hotels in London
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent except for a couple of things”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

Stayed at the Royal Horseguards during mid to late Ferbruary. Two things that were really, really good were the bed and the shower water pressure. The bed was very comfortable and clean. My roomie is quite particular and she even liked the bed. As for the shower, it was so much water pressure that it hurt. That was awesome especially when trying to wake up in the morning. My only complaints are that the room looked into a stairwell and although we kept closing the curtains so that we did not have to look at it, the maid would open it every day when she cleaned. Also along these lines, the maids came in and cleaned our room even when we had the "do not disturb" light on. The room had a lot of nice pictures and furniture. There was some chipping paint and cracked marble in the bathroom but the hotel is quite old so these things were not that unexpected. The breakfast was included and it was good although it was the same every day. The chocolate croissants were very good but in limited supply so you have to get there early. The location was very good. We did not have a problem finding our way around. The staff was exceptionally helpful and very accomodating especially to the "more difficult" members of our party. But they usually stay at more expensive hotels while I am willing to stay any where as long as it is clean.

2,233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

Just finished a 5-night stay at the Royal Horseguards. Most of TripAdvisor's reviews for this hotel are accurate...or "spot on," if I'm trying to sound British ;-)

The location is excellent. Trafalgar Square is a five-minute walk. Embankment, a two-minute walk, half of which is covered, is the closest tube station and serves four lines. Charing Cross is about 3 minutes further, although its two lines also call on Embankment, so there's really no need to use Charing Cross, unless you require access to British Rail. From Victoria Station (Gatwick Express), the hotel is about 10 minutes by taxi, mostly because of all the traffic lights. Anyway, that works out to £6-£7, with tip.

Within hotel reach and reasonable walking distance are many restaurants and bars, and even though the hotel's immediate vicinity is dead at night, walk a couple blocks and it won't be. Villiers Street, the mostly pedestrian thoroughfare connecting Embankment and Charing Cross, has many nice coffee/sandwich/snack shops, which serve as a preferable alternative to the Royal Horseguard's slightly pricey and slightly uninspiring menu.

However for London, this is an exceptional property. Even by US standards, this hotel compares favorably. My room, a typical double, was a little smaller than a standard US hotel room, but lacked none of the appointments I had expected from reading this board: heated towel rack; marble bathroom (counters, not floors); in-room safe; mini-bar; good shower; hairdryer (two, in fact); good lighting. In that regard, it surpasses your standard Hilton or Sheraton. Btw, I read several times that I shouldn't accept the first (or even second) room I was offered, but I was quite happy with the first one I was shown.

I do have a couple complaints. While high-speed internet access is available in all rooms, you'll pay dearly for it: £15/night. Also, mobile phone strength is very poor in the hotel. I can only speak for my provider, Orange Mobile -- perhaps service is better with other carriers -- but the signal was non-existent in the hotel's lobby and other public areas. Fortunately, my room was on the highest (9th) floor, which afforded me consistently 2 to 3 bars of reception. On the middle or lower floors, however, I don't know.

In all, the Royal Horseguards is a great hotel, and while it won't be mistaken for The Lanesborough, for London it deserves 5 stars. I will be back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2005

I stayed in November, and LOVED it. I had a HIGH floor great view of the water and city-lights! I got a STEAL on the price too (payed no more then $260 USD a night). The front-desk staff for me was very mixed. I had two very, very nice people, and one terrible speachless/rude idiot. They are kind of quiet there.... I came with two suitcases and was running around the tube station (embankment) to the hotel in the rain. *please don't take the tube and two suitcases.... it's the last time i took two* At the doors I had a little prob. getting my two suitcases in promptly (raining) but the door-man came rather quickly. Leaving the hotel, there are stairs down to the lobby, and the porter quietly took one of my suitcases and lowered it and I said I'd get the other one *complete silence in return.* The room was rather old (expected - your in a castle). The bathroom toilet took some playing' with to get it to stop (the handle would let it keep running, and running.) Room service was EXCELLENT and very tasty. The hotel also has excellent treasures > the room service staff looks quite good too :) - keep trying till you get a gem (male and females!). Room looked smaller/different then that on the Thistle/Expedia website, but it was actually nicer (though smaller). Would stay here again. You really feel you are in London when you hear big-ben go off quietly in the background from your hotel room. Please note: If you are overlookign the water, the traffic is loud as it is a main-street. However the traffic quiets considerably past 9pm! You still may want to bring some earplugs if you are not a sound-sleeper. Overall I loved the hotel. OH! one more thing > the doors do not have spring hinges.... so PLEAAASEE do not let the door-close by itself on your way in/out! I guarantee you, the DOOR-SLAM is the loudest thing you'll hear other then an MRI-scan with no ear-protection. People learn quick though not to slam the doors...

• Stayed November 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2005

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Royal Horseguards. I have stayed at this hotel many, many times. As every other review has stated, the location is unbeatable. A quiet street but literally a few blocks from the action (Embankment, Charing Cross, National Gallery, West End, Leicester Square, Covent Garden). Embankment is an excellent underground station because it has four lines as well as the main line stopping there.
Rooms in the newer section are definitely in better condition. Higher floors have beautiful views of the Thames (except for now, due to temporary scaffolding).
Breakfast has a nice variety, although except for the occasional switch in cheese types, is the same every day. Also, if you like chocolate croissants, get there early.
One more point. Aside from the front desk, which seems to change personnel frequently, the concierges and the door man have been there quite a while. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
I have stayed in at least 10 other hotels in London. With whatever minor faults it has, it is hard to find a similar hotel, especially with a quality location, for the same price. I'll be back in August.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2005

I shopped a lot before staying here and this was a great value. I usually stay at very expensive hotels but could not due to the rest of my group this time.

The service was great! The breakfast was included which made this an even better value.

I went through 2 rooms before I accepted the third. The first was a smoking room. The second had a broken heater making it about 150 degrees. The third and final room was decorated beautifully and very large. I had a very nice marble bathroom with a tub and separate shower.

I have only 2 complaints:

1. The hotel, including my room needed some repairs to paint, wallpaper, drywall, carpet, etc. It wasn't too bad in most places but I am very particular so some things bothered me.

2. My bed was very uncomfortable. My bedding was nice, but I could feel the springs. Other people in my group loved their beds so I think this is inconsistent. The service is so great here I am sure they will move you to another room if you do not like your bed or anything else about your room.

Other thoughts:

1. Don't bother to upgrade to a deluxe. I did and there was no significant difference from others who had a standard room.

2. Try to get breakfast included. It is a good value. It was the same buffet every day with many options.

3. The location was very good-- close to the river and Trafalgar Square and St. James park.

4. The service here was wonderful. They helped with so much. They never complained even when I did. They gave advice, held the door, helped with bags, helped with my stroller, made reservations for us, called us a cab a few times. They were always eager to help.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2005

Just returned from a 6 night stay at the Royal Horseguards. It was my second stay at this hotel. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. For theatre goers, the location cannot be beat. It is an excellent location for many tourist sights also--London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Westminister, Houses of Parliament--I could name a dozen more! If you don't like to walk, the Embankment tube stop is just a couple minutes away at most.

Our hotel room was a nice size, especially by European standards. Due to scaffolding, what would have been a fantastic view over the Thames and the London Eye was obscured by clear plastic. We hadn't paid for a view so didn't mind. The bathroom was large, marble tiled, with a bidet. I must say it had the hottest water and fastest filling bathtub of any hotel I've ever stayed in. The breakfast room is sunny, efficiently staffed and has a nice variety of foods. It was a pleasant way to start the morning.

Our biggest complaint is that the bed was hard. It isn't the worst I've encountered, but it does keep me from giving the hotel an excellent rating. I can also see that some people might think the rooms are rather dark. On my previous stay I had a room that opened onto the lightshaft. I was quite put off when I initially saw the room, but I actually grew to like it as I slept quite well.

I have also stayed at the Marriott County Hall in London in the past. It has an even nicer facility, but I chose to stay at the Royal Horseguards on this trip as I find its location to be so ideal. The Horseguards also has a more European flavor.

• Stayed January 2005
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2005

I've just returned from a stay at The Royal Horseguards and I really loved it. The staff was very friendly and caring. They even remembered the room number in the morning at breakfast. Travelling alone the location was a great plus. The hotel is just around the corner of Embankment tube station and all major theatres are within a short walking distance. I always walked home at night and always felt absolutely safe as the hotel is in a very good neighborhood. The room was very comfortable, though not large, but very well appointed. The same goes for the bathroom. I can only recommend staying there if you plan to go for the theatres in the West End.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!