“What a fantastic experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Promotion
Ranked #67 of 1,075 hotels in London
Glasgow, Scotland
“What a fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Just home from visiting the Royal Horseguards Hotel, London, for 2 nights as part of the celebrations for my mother-in-law's birthday. What can I say! In all honesty I had booked this hotel due to the fact that the hotel I would normally stay at was unavailable and am I glad I did! Whenever I come to London in future I will be staying here. From the moment we arrived the hotel staff could not do enough. The hotel itself is beautiful and decorated exquisitely, however, it is definitely the staff who make it. You are made to feel so comfortable and at home it was a pleasure staying there. My mother-in-law would be downstairs quite early in the morning and the staff would fuss around her making sure she had a pillow for her back (she'd had a back injury a few weeks prior to arriving which hadn't fully healed) and bringing her coffees and chatting away! Special mention to the older Italian gentleman from Venice who works in The Lounge....he was so helpful and made us feel as if we were visiting friends! Thank you so much for making my mother-in-law's birthday so special. I can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It's our high priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all time. Also I was really pleased that our staff was skilful and delivered outstanding service which makes our hotel perfect.

I hope I will be afforded the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

2,238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
worcester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night in November and granted it was Remembrance weekend, so the hotel was busy. The price paid for the room was £250 for a double including breakfast via a third party travel agent. The main gripe I have is when hotels sell their rooms in this manner and fail to properly ensure the accurate description of those rooms. I am assuming the onus should lie at the hotel's door as they know what rooms they have to sell. Unless we are to believe that the agent makes it up. We booked a twin/double standard room and requested a twin room both via the agent website and 2 days prior to the stay direct with the hotel. Both times we were assured we would get a twin. However when we turned up we were told standard rooms didn't come with a twin and we would have to pay another £60 to upgrade to a twin. After some polite complaining to the reception supervisor we were 'upgraded' to a larger double. So the room- not huge, adequately kitted out although took until morning to find the tea making facilities and hairdryer buried in obscure places in the writing desk. Some slight discolouration of the shower grouting and a weird double shower head where you could only seem to turn one off but not the other. Personally having stayed in other 5 star hotels I would not rate it that high based on the rooms however the public areas, facade and location were first class. Breakfast, a self service buffet, was fine. 2 cocktails in the bar totalled over £27 but the hotel believes this to be comparable so go elsewhere if too pricy. All in all ok but will try somewhere else next time as nothing particularly would draw me back except an exceptional price deal.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for posting your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the hotel team for the number of shortfalls that you encountered. Please be assured that I have discussed the issues with your room with the Head Housekeeper and the Maintenance Manager, to ensure the issues are rectified. Both have asked for their apologies to be linked with mine.

I was also disappointed to read with regard to your room booking. and that there was a miscommunication with the hotel and the agent, however I have addressed this to our Reservations Manager to make sure that this kind of errors do not occur in the near further.

I do hope this will not put you off from choosing to stay with us again. If you decide to return, can I please suggest that you contact the hotel directly so that we can personally take care of your reservation.

Kind regards,

Felpham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We have stayed at the hotel several times prior to the hotel being renovated but only twice since.The latter being last weekend for three nights to take in the sights and do Christmas shopping. We normally travel by train but because we envisaged we would have shopping to bring home we decided to travel by car in this instance. On arrival we were met by the doorman who stated that we could not park in front of the hotel to unload our luggage as the hotel does not have an unloading area even for a short period and that we did risk a fine if we did. I found this a little strange but accepted the fact that the hotel is in a unique position and they could be security implications however taxis could park there. The doorman was very helpful and indeed all of the front desk were exemplary, we upgraded the room from the normal suite to an executive and breakfast was included in with the price. The foyer and public areas are impressive in decor and cleanliness and as we arrived a solo harpist was playing creating a very pleasant atmosphere. The room overlooked the front of the hotel which was OK but we would have preferred a river view, my fault I should have stipulated a room on the river side of the hotel. The room was well proportioned and had all the goody bits and pieces that a hotel of this standing should have however on the downside, the basin in the bathroom was difficult to drain even when there were no plug inserted, the bath stainless steel soap holder was loose on the wall, the hair drier did not work looked like the wires had pulled out of the socket and one of the lifts was out of action the whole weekend which was annoying at busy periods but all these are "picky". The one point that did get to me was the bar is really small relative to the size and standing of the hotel which resulted in overcrowding in the evening and lunch times for people to be comfortable when eating and drinking, couple that with the bar not opening on a Sunday evening I found the experience less than satisfactory. Food was reasonable, breakfasts were good but would suggest these booked in advance as the individual price at circa £30 I found a little expensive. The food and drinks in the bar and cafe was good although a little pricey but we were in London. Wine was good value, excellent Sauvignon Blanc for £30. Staff excellent and would return.

Room Tip: Book a river view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. As you mentioned in your review our location is just great if you are here to visit the sights of London and I know that the entire team will be so proud to hear that the service they provided was most helpful.

We do try to match the needs of our guests with our rooms and I was disappointed that on this occasion that we were unable to accommodate your request of a river view room however please do feel free to contact us directly for your next reservation in order to arrange any special requests you may have.

We are currently addressing the opening time for the bar on Sundays at the moment and hope to have this sorted very soon and we do appreciate all comments made by our guests as this only helps us to improve the level of service that we offer our guests.

With regard to the pricing we do merge it with the other five star hotels around London, like you mentioned London was always a high rated city. Very happy to hear that you found our Sauvignon Blanc wine was excellent.

Thank you so much !

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Kind Regards
Gilly, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Booked Afternoon Tea for 7 because the location is good and the prices were affordable in comparison to other venues like the RItz or the Chesterfield.
The Afternoon Tea is held in a lovely part of the hotel, a bit of initial confusion about which was our table, but an extra place was quickly set. Gorgeous China, harpist playing, lovely fresh sandwiches, scones and patisseries. Great tea selection, so overall a very nice setting and food.
Where they let themselves down is the service, we initially ordered 4 afternoon teas and 3 cream teas. The girl thought it might be too much so we ordered 3 of each. Then the manager came and told us (unsmilingly) that wasn't possible so we reverted to our initial order which was not a problem. We were told we could have extra sandwiches if we wanted - we wanted! but I had to negotiate with the manager again (I was hosting it as part of my birthday celebration), not understanding where the problem was. I just felt that when you have seven guests, you can't start to be mean about a couple of sandwiches. There was a lack of graciousness from the male manager, the girls are lovely but their english could be better as well as an understanding of what they are serving. I'm probably being a bit picky, but I think that in a hotel of this quality, things should flow, people should know what they are doing and service should be perfect. I would recommend it as an Afternoon Tea venue, my girlfriends were thrilled, I just hope my service comments get read by management so that next time I can give it an excellent rating.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thankyou for writing a feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel .Please accept my apologies regarding the issues that made your stay unpleasant . We are investigating.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed overnight mid-week, for a meeting the following day. I booked a double room, via last minute, and was given a twin when I arrived. I asked to be moved to a double and was told by reception that the hotel had no doubles available at all. None. Fully booked.
Curious therefore that when I then called central reservations, I was told the hotel had 6 double rooms available. What then transpired was an hour long farce, a 3 way conversation between me, the reception staff, and central reservations. I later realised central reservations was on a premium rate number, so I have that bill to look forward to. It was only when I managed to set up another email account on my phone that I was able to retrieve my booking confirmation for a double, not a twin, that, miraculously, the hotel "discovered" that they did in fact have a double room available. The best the hotel offered was a voucher knocking £5 off a £25 breakfast!
This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel, and one expects 5 star service.
One does not expect reception to LIE about whether they have rooms available, and that is clearly what has happened. It is a disgrace, and insulting to my intelligence. In the process of my lengthy deliberations at reception, the receptionist kept disappearing to speak to her manager, who, throughout, remained behind closed doors and could not even be bothered to come out and speak to me. Having spent a small fortune on my mobile, wasted an hour arguing at reception, and becoming late for meeting friends that night, the very least I would have expected would be a visit from the manager to apologise for the fact that his staff had been caught out lying. No - nothing. Happy to collect your money, but not so happy the provide the service I expect from a 5 star hotel.
I've stayed here twice before, as close to Temple where I have meetings. But shall not be doing so again.
The room I eventually had, a superior double, was no more than ok. Room 104 if you bother reading this RH. The tiles on the bathroom floor were missing grout and actually wobbly. Potentially dangerous. Why on earth do you allow guests to stay there before fixing it?
In the future, I shall whenever possible go back to the Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street Hotel or Grange St.Pauls, both of which knock spots off this place for service and room quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thankyou for your view regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. PLease accept my apologies for the issues that ruined your . We take it seriously and are investigating
west midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Weekend stay for daughters 21st birthday. We had a huge beautiful twin room facing the river. Check in efficient, requested a river view for such a special occasion but were only on second floor so couldn't see anything due to trees! On arrival a plate of lovely biscuits/chocolate had been left which was decorated with "happy 21st birthday" , a very personal touch and delicious. Staff very helpful and courteous . Breakfast was delicious, beautifully presented and service excellent. The bathroom was amazing with its own tv and elemis complimentary toiletries. A. Fantastic stay much enjoyed. Just a tip if you want a river view /london eye etc ask for a room on a high floor otherwise your view is restricted.

Room Tip: High floor for better view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thankyoufor taking time to write a reviewwith regard to your recent stay with The Royal Horseguards. Hotel. I shall pass on the lovely comments about the staff to the relevant departments. Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here for my birthday on the 15th to 17th November. Staff were fantastic. The room although not large was beautiful and had magnificent views over the River Thames. The bed was comfortable and I loved the under floor heating in the bathroom. We ate in the restaurant one night and had the 6 course taster menu which was excellent. Breakfast was very good. I felt however the drinks were very overpriced even for London. Thank you to the hotel especially to the reception staff and evening restaurant staff.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent stay at THe Royal Horseguards Hotel. Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have a wonderful stay at all times
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!