“A very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Westminster)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Spring Offer
Ranked #63 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“A very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Spent one night here on business, though have stayed often in Guoman chain hotels which all have a good standard.

This hotel is their best in London I believe, and because it was booked in advance it was not too bad a price .

A very comfortable bed and an excellent bathroom with everything provided for a 4 star stay.

Breakfast was good though it would be easy to pick holes in its quality. There seemed to be issues with keeping the buffet supplied with food, eggs in particular.

All in all this is a very pleasant hotel with mostly the usual excellent Guoman service, so it is easy to recommend as long as you book in advance with a non cancellable reservation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel I am pleased that you enjoyed all the facilities and amenities in your room However in regards to your comments about the breakfast service, we take feedback from our guests to heart and I have ensured that your comments have been passed onto our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager to take the necessary action.

We hope you will choose to return to us again in the future as we would love to be able to welcome you back
Kind Regards
NIght Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed two nights here last week on business. The hotel is very well located and the room i had was a few floors up with a view (covered mostly with trees it has to be said) just about of the river which was good. Room itself was good, comfy and the bathroom had hot water and free wifi which is important. The only thing that let it down was breakfast which was just chaos. They seem to have too many people for the staff they have and i had to wait for five minutes to even be seen on the second morning to then take a table. On the first day a waiter dropped his tray behind me smashing all the contents and generally it was all a bit haphazard. i would not return for the breakfast but for a good rate, its a decent upper star stay on business.

Room Tip: go higher i think, see if you can get a view of the river.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. It is feedback such as your own that is crucial within our industry to enable us to constantly challenge ourselves and improve the level of service that we offer our guests.

I was pleased to hear that you found your room to be very well equipped and the room fittings to be of a high standard even though you felt the room was covered with tress.

Our Executive Chef has asked for his apologies to be linked with mine regarding your issues over breakfast. I am sorry you experienced further poor service, and below par standards form the breakfast team. I know our Restaurant Manager has reviewed your feedback with his team, so that valuable lessons can be learnt from your unfortunate experience

Customer service is critical to our business; therefore we really appreciate you taking the time to highlight your concerns to us, allowing us the opportunity to review our standard of service and procedures.

We hope you would choose to stay with us again, as we would love the opportunity to show you that we are capable of delivering the 5 star service you expected from your initial visit.

Shane Van Sanden
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Visited for two nights at the end of October, couldn't have asked for more! All the hotel staff were polite and happy to help. Room was very tastefully decorated with lots of extras. Afternoon tea is a must- we loved the setting in the lounge with a harpist accompanying some delicious food! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us and I will pass on your comments to our pastry team regarding the Afternoon Tea. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Exton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stay regularly at the Royal Horseguards, though not every time I visit London due to room prices fluctuating a good bit. This is one of the older, more venerable hotels in London and is wonderfully located within minutes walk to the river, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall and Covent Garden. The restaurant food (especially breakfast) is generally good, though the dinner service there has been spotty at times. Service throughout the hotel is of a high calibre and, despite the fact that I stay there on business, I have always thought it to be a romantic hotel, especially with rooms overlooking the Thames. They offer a weekend romance package, which represents pretty good value. I often recommend the Royal Horsegaurds to friends and colleagues but only if they can get a room at a reasonable price which is not (unfortunately) all the time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful comments following your recent repeat stay with us! It is wonderful that we are your “preferred London Stay” and Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally.

I was delighted to read your comments about the Hotel. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased we were able to achieve this on this occasion

Thank you for sharing your experience With Both us and your friends and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

winchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

+ Great Location (3 min walk from Embankment, 6-10 min walk to West End)
+ Comfortable beds
+ Heated bathroom floor
+ Very clean, well serviced rooms

- Paper-thin walls (my neighbour had a cold and it kept me awake!)
- Some inefficient/dishonest staff (I was told they were fully-booked when I asked to move, yet I saw only 2-3 other guests during my whole stay!!)
- Many of the in-room entertainment electronics didn't work
- Slightly naff/dated decor

In short, it's at the bottom end of 5 Star hotels. Snazzy extras soon disappointed - My iPod doc and bedroom/bathrooms speakers didn't work. My hairdryer broke on the first morning and some of the TV channels had no sound. The A/C was very noisy and my room had no view.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking your time and giving us your feedback regarding your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Feedback such as your own is crucial for us and of the highest importance in order to improve the level of service that we provide.

On behalf of the team, I would like to personally apologise you for any inconvenience caused during your last stay with us. It is our high priority to ensure that all our valuable guests like you are always looked after and I can assure you that this unfortunate experience is not reflective to the standards we strive to provide here at the hotel. Please be advised that I have passed your comments to the relevant departments and they will be discussed further with the team.

It was sad to hear that you did find our hotel décor naff and dated. We take utmost pride in our location and our gorgeous, over a hundred year old building which is now listed as a landmark of architectural interest. The style of the building was inspired by French Chateau's, there for we have to match our interior design and style were we do get lots of great feed back from our guest, sorry that you did not find it to your taste..

Please let me know if you should decide to stay with us again and I will personally take care of the room allocation for you. Please feel free to contact the Hotel directly and I hope that I will be afforded the pleasure of welcoming you back here at the Royal Horseguards Hotel..

With best regards,

Shane Van Sanden
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Although this is reviewed as a 5 star hotel , I'm not sure I would agree. The bed was comfortable and bedding nice. There was no view at all except of a tree (5th floor). Ask for a room on the top in order to seek a view. The problem is and it is quietly ignored for the large part, the DOOR SLAMMING. It is in no way the inconsiderate traveller but rather the actual doors to the rooms themselves that shut in such a way that they slam and wake you up. Don't even think of having an afternoon nap with all the housekeeping slamming doors from 9 am until 5 pm. It became really annoying. The location is perfect though and the breakfasts were very nice. The staff seemed a little unaware or maybe they weren't seasoned enough to anticipate the needs of the guests who wished quietude during their stay .

Room Tip: book the top floor. I think they are renovating in January so maybe they will solve the door problem...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
Please accept my apologies for the issues experienced. We will investigate the situation
Its our priority that all our guests have a comfortable stay
kind regards
Michael Masaba
Suffolk UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Booked a package deal with a theatre ticket for Warhorse included. I only stayed for 1 night at the Royal Horseguards but it was a lovely hotel......excellent location, and the staff were very attentive. Decor was top notch and I would definitely stay there again. The price I paid was excellent as it included a good seat at the theatre. The breakfast was good and well staffed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thankyou for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunateto be based so centrally.
kind regards
Michael Masaba
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!