“Can't recommend it highly enough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Promotion
Ranked #79 of 1,073 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Can't recommend it highly enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions over several years. Every time the staff have been fantastic and the room warm and inviting. Fantastic location, close to embankment tube station and walking distance to many of London's major tourist attractions and theatres.
Rooms vary markedly in size with some enormous down to some which are more modest. But they are always extremely comfortable and luxuriously appointed.
Breakfast is extremely satisfying and great value as long as it was booked with your room, otherwise it is a bit overpriced.
Free wifi included for all guests and porters don't expect to be tipped for doing their job !
Plenty of great pubs and restaraunts all within an easy walk

Room Tip: Include breakfast at time of booking as it saves you 15GBP
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was absolutely delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoy all your stays with us, and hopefully consider us a home away from home. I have shared your kind comments with the entire team who will be so pleased to be called fantastic!

I was particularly pleased to read your comments about our breakfast. We realise it is the most important meal of the day, so we ensure it is an experience worth getting out of bed for!!

Once again, thank you very much for your fabulous comments. We very much look forward to welcoming you back time and time again – hopefully!!

2,285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
West Sussex UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had the great pleasure of staying at RHG 22-24th March 2013. My husband and I were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary and wanted to visit London and experience a little luxury.

From the moment we entered the hotel we were treated like royalty or a long lost family member returning home. At this point I would like to thank all staff members for making us feel very special. Every single one of you are amazing, you should be very proud of yourselves for delivering such amazing friendly service and attention to detail is out of this world. We could not have chosen a better hotel and look forward to a return visit in the summer.

When we arrived at the hotel we were advised that we had been upgraded from a standard double room to an executive with a view. The room was not ready when we arrived, but we were very happy to wait after being advised of the free upgrade. An hour later we entered our room 420, very spacious and clean with an amazing view of the Thames and London Eye. I couldn't stop smiling. Our bathroom was huge, with a separate bath and shower, TV over the bath. Elemis products which are gorgeous, bath robes and huge soft towels. King size bed, separate seating area and flat screen TV, all the extra touches too many to mention which made this room very special indeed.

The hotel had left a wonderful tray of sweets and cakes with a lovely message wishing us a happy anniversary which was very much appreciated by both of us.

We tried room service after we had returned late from the theatre. The food was delivered promptly and the best steak sandwich I have ever experienced. Breakfast which was included in the price was varied, very hot with a fantastic selection and most enjoyable. I note from other reviews some visitors have been unhappy. I guess you can't please everyone. From our own experience, we could not fault anything. The staff were receptive and ensured we had everything we needed without being intrusive.

We had afternoon tea which was a real treat and very enjoyable, the staff made us feel very special. I tried the strawberry and cream tea which was unusually very good.

My advice would be if you are celebrating a special event inform the hotel in advance, as I know they will do what they can to make your visit extra special.

Thank you each and everyone again, we will never forget our wonderful stay at RHG and look forward to our return visit to such an amazing hotel soon.

Room Tip: River view rooms are stunning and you won't be disappointed, but you need to except that there w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your Fantastic review!!!!!

It is wonderful to read that the team made you feel so special while staying with us to celebrate your 28th wedding anniversary. Our aim is to deliver the service that our guests so righty expect these days from a leading 5 star property, but without any of the stuffy formality. I will be sure to pass you comments to the rest of the team, as they will be so touched by your kind words.

I am so pleased that we were able to upgrade your room and that you were impressed with it. It is always great to hear when please enjoy the little extra touches we have put in the rooms. But I have to say, nothing beats the view of the River! Day or night it is hypnotic.

Our Executive Chef, Ben Purton will be delighted to read that you felt our hot and cold breakfast buffet was excellent. These are the type of comments we strive to consistently achieve. You are right our afternoon tea it is truly exceptional. We are well known for offering one of the best afternoon teas in London, and I am sure you will agree on that!

The team prides itself on having a passion for customer service, and it is wonderful that you feel this was demonstrated throughout your stay with us.

Don’t wait another 28 year before returning to us!

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I had afternoon tea here on a cold rainy day in February. From beginning to end the experience felt like a lovely treat. The service was perfect .. attentive but not intrusive while seeming to genuinely care.We were offered a complimentary glass of champagne as the waitress said we had been kept waiting - a wait so short we hadn't noticed it!
The lounge is very stylish and elegant and we were able to take our time and really relax and enjoy the warm and welcoming ambience of the hotel.
There is a great selection of teas, an endless supply of sandwiches, warm scones and very pretty cakes. Great care was taking to make sure we were happy and had enough of everything and although it is £30 per person we still felt it was good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly thank you for braving our great British weather to come to the hotel for Afternoon Tea. I was pleased that you noticed that our staff do genuinely care about our guests, and the fact that you did not notice that you had been waiting is even better. I will certainly be passing on your review to the Lounge and Pastry teams.

We agree that the price is exceptional value for money, especially when you consider the amount of work which goes into creating those beautiful little cakes. The Pastry team have created a wonderful Easter display for the lobby area of the hotel, the centre of which is 1.5m high! We would love you to come along and see it!!

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in this hotel with our teenage children over half term. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, our rooms were extremely comfortable (we had an enormous bed) and very well equipped, (particularly loved the tv in the bathroom and the cafetiere with proper ground coffee). We could not have had a better base for our trip!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words, I was pleased to read that you all enjoyed your stay and I know how hard it is to keep teenagers happy! Out of all the facilities and amenities in our rooms, the bathroom TV’s are always the most talked about. It is just such an indulgent thing to do, watching TV in the bath!

We hope the next time you bring the family to London, you will choose to return to us.

Rooms Division Manager.
Par, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

having stayed many times over the past ten years at this hotel and the last 2 times haven't been good. we paid £372.00 per night bed and breakfast, the room was quite small but clean, don't think it was worth this price but the main thing was the breakfast and the restaurant. On both occasions the food at breakfast was cold the hottest thing was the tomato in fact it was the worst breakfast I have had, the restaurant staff were not friendly even had to ask for coffee and toast or we would not have got any, we didn't have a menu on the table the first morning so didn't know we could order omelettes etc. We had cereals and fruit we went to the buffet to get a cooked breakfast and went back to the table and was left standing there for 2 mins for someone to clear the table, I did ask and that is how long it took. That evening had dinner in the restaurant with guests we had invited, the staff again not good and service was bad, food again was cold we did complain the restaurant manager rang me the following day in my room and apologised offered a bottle of wine, the bill for this meal was £245.00 and said that was all he could do and started laughing at me and being sarcastic when I said he hadn't heard the last of it but still insist that was all he could do so not a good experience so all you people out there having breakfast and evening meal don't accept it cold complain. On check out I complained and they reimbursed me the cost of the evening meal and apologised. I was not offered a free stay next time so very dissapointed

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed and thorough review.

I am most disappointed to learn that you did not have a good experience in our Restaurant, either for Breakfast or for Dinner thorough your stay with us.

I am aware that you have shared your feedback with both our Guest Relations Manager upon departure, and subsequently with our Executive Chef. I understand that the issues have been discussed at length, and you have been compensated accordingly. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, as customer service is critical to our business.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, but I hope you will consider returning to us so we can demonstrate a higher level of service.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is a great location and the hotel lobby and entrance is suitably impressive. I got a good deal on Lastminute so didn't pay the full price, but I can't believe it justifies the very high rack rate.

The room was nice - not great. A single room with nice solid fittings which were only a bit shabby. The bathroom was nice, but I thought they could have managed to provide showercaps as it's got one of those overhead showerheads.

Breakfast was frankly chaotic. Lots of staff floating around but no-one making sure everybody gets served. My tea order was taken after I'd finished my breakfast - and even then I had to go and find someone for extra water because it was all a bit cold and stewed when it came.

In short, this has all the pretensions of a high end hotel but just not the attention to detail that justifies the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I was pleased to read that your first impressions of the hotel were good and I am sorry that we did not continue to meet it during your stay.

I have passed on your comments on to the Executive Chef who is in charge of the food and beverage areas in the hotel. We appreciate constructive criticism as it provides us with the opportunity to review and improve these areas.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again, so we can prove that we are capable of delivering the 5 star service you quiet rightly expected.

Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night in this wonderful hotel. The staff were friendly and as helpful as they could be. The hotel is within walking distance of many of the London sights around Downing Street, Westminster,Trafalgar Square and Buckingham palace. You can also easily get onto the tube at Embankment for the short hop to Oxford Street or across to Picadilly. We'd recommend staying here

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel and fantastic comments about the team.
We are extremely lucky to be in such a great location in London and as you commented so close too many of London’s top attractions.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!