“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #78 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Luxembourg
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

When we booked, our full stay was charged to our credit card twice. At a first contact they denied the fact and only when I forward them the credit card statement they believed me. Apologies accepted but no gesture from the management to compensate, not even a welcome drink. The room is fine but not what I expected from such hotel, moreover we stayed in a Deluxe room. I've stayed in many hotels in different continents and I would never give it a 5 star rating. The add said the room had a view...what it didn't mention was that the view was directly into a wall... As for security issues, the heating in the toilet was supposed to be checked in September 2012...well, we stayed there in January 2013 and such check had not been done. I was waiting for a classy hotel, with character but what I found was a banal hotel. Next time, for much less money and with such a good location I am sure I will find a better place to stay...

Positive points: The location is great, close to the tube and very, very central. Free wi-fi appreciated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write you comments on Trip Advisor, and please accept my sincere apologies for the problems that you have encountered when booking and during your stay. Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed with the necessary managers and the appropriate action has been taken.

I can assure you that we do take the safety and welfare of our guests extremely seriously. It is a legal requirement that all electrical appliances which are fitted with a plug are test annually. However our heated towel rails are all hard wired, therefore no PAT testing is required and this appliance was indeed tested in 2011 in error.

I hope I have been able to answer your points, but if you wish to discuss any of them further please do feel free to contact me as I am only to happy to help.

I hope you will choose to return to the hotel so we can demonstrate that we are capable of delivering the 5 star standards you would expect from our hotel.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My grand daughter and I spent one night recently at this hotel and we not disappointed. We have stayed at both the Cumberland Tower Hotels in the past and I had always been interested in staying the The Royal Horseguards. The opportunity arose with a special deal which included an english breakfast so I booked online. On arrival at the Hotel we were advised we had been upgraded which meant we were allocated a room overlooking the Thames and the London Eye.The magnificant facilities at this hotel made the stay really delightful but to have a view overlooking old Father Thames was just the 'icing on the cake' to a Londoner. This is of course a professionally run hotel and we found all members of staff most pleasant and approachable. The room was more than adequate with the comfy bed, tea and coffee facilities and soft bath robes and even TV in the bathroom and of course the view. Breakfast is served from 6.30am which meant we found there was no queue when we we went down about 8.30 am and we were shown to a pleasant table, placed to respect other peoples privacy. There was an excellent selection of .continental and cooked breakfast and tea and coffe was served at the table. Following fruit and yogart my grand daughter enjoyed a full english cooked breakfast and although I do not normally eat a cooked breakfast I could not resist the scrambled egg, to which I added salmon and I was not disappointed.
It really was a delightful stay and given the opportunity I would certainly love to stay at this
hotel again, which is pefectly situated for a London visit, with the excellent underground train service (Embankment Station) for site seeing, shopping or the theatre. Thank you Royal Horseguards Hotel for a special welcome to London..

Room Tip: book a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your fabulous review. It is a delight to learn that both yourself and grandaughter had such an enjoyable and memorable stay with us.

I am so pleased that you found your River Thames facing room to be comfortable and luxurious with all of the touches one would expect. I am glad that you both enjoyed a hearty breakfast in our 1212 Reataurant before enjoying a days shopping and sightseeing . Embankment station is just a mere 2 minute walk away, indeed providing excellent transport links to London and beyond.

We would be delighted to welcome you both back to us, for what we are sure would be another memorable stay.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night for a romantic break away and it lived up to our expectations, the room executive double was well decorated and had lovely touches like mood lighting, underfloor bathroom heating, tv in the bathroom and lovely soft robes and slippers. the bed was super king I believe and was very comfortable. check in was a bit slow (new receptionist I believe) but all staff were very friendly. Breakfast was fantastic and great selection of food items and fresh pastries, fruit and heathly options but I had to request further cutlery. We did not visit the bar but prices looked high by all accounts. Hotel was in great location for sight seeing and for west end theatres and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request river view when booking
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I’m pleased that your romantic break London lived up to your expectations and that you were pleased with your hotel choice. We pride ourselves on our rooms and all the extra special touches like our bathroom TV’s and under floor heating. And we get many great comments about our beds.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast and I will pass on your comments about the cutlery and make sure it is in one of the daily training sections.

I will look forward to opening the doors and welcoming you back soon.

north yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

From glittering chandeliers to contemporary design, this central hotel near the London Eye reflects a proud heritage. Expect more, with free wi-fi throughout the hotel, fully refurbished Victorian splendour, award-winning dining, afternoon tea and sumptuous river view suites.
dead comfy beds and plush rooms.

Room Tip: North Side View
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a fantastic review. You have said it all and we truly appreicate it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Stourbridge, Enbgland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed overnight here recently to watch Cabaret at The Savoy Theatre. The location has to be one of the best in London for visiting all of the touristy attractions. It is right next to the Embankment tube station, which in turn, helps to get around the rest of the city.
As for the hotel itself, the first thing you notice is how helpful all of the staff are. I also like the idea where the varying receptionists had their home countries badge on them, so we knew where they were from. It was great for me to try my spanish and italian on them!
Our room overlooked the Thames and had all the little luxury bits that make certain hotels different from the rest: heated bathroom floor, heated towel rail, bathrobes, slippers, tea and coffee facilities, TV in the bathroom, etc.
I have to say, the next time I see a show in London, I will definitely be staying here

Room Tip: If you get to the hotel early, ask them not to check you in straight away as they may have a larger...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

A truly exceptional hotel on the London Thames, just minutes from Trafalgar Square. The hotel is a Grade II listed building beautifully restored with a really nice restaurant, lobby and bar. The rooms have everything you could ask for from complimentary WI-FI to egyptian cottons, floor heating, lighting dimmers, bathroom tv, complimentary Elemis products, coffee & tea making facilities (nicely stored in one of the rooms' desk drawers) and amazing river views (depending on your room category). The hotel staff (from housekeeping to front of the house) are truly amazing adding the extra touch on your stay. The Room Service is nice and of good quality but a bit pricey (Sot drinks around 4 pounds, burgers around 15 & fixed tray fee 5 pounds for every order), the hotel breakfast served at the hotel restaurant is also exceptional. A tube station is only 2 minutes from the hotel, and from the Charing Cross Station (only 5 minutes away) there are all the major bus routes. Trafalgar Square, Westminster (Big Ben) and Covent Garden are also close by. All in all, a great hotel and one of my favourites in London. Definitely recommended !!!

Room Tip: The Executive King Room with a View is the best choice in my opinion. Deluxe rooms are also of good...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
To hear us described as“Perfection” is wonderful to us – thank you. We are so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the room to the restaurant and back again!!!

As you say our amazing location makes access to many of London’s attractions so very easy and stress free.

I am delighted to read that you feel the staff are amazing, and help to make your stay extra special. I will be sure to pass your comments on.

It is wonderful to read that our hotel is one of your favourite hotels in London, and that you will be definitely recommending us. We look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel via the internet as a reaction to a bad experience elsewhere. I arrived at 11.15pm, a lone business woman tired and unsure. The duty manager at check in could not be more helpful. My online booking had not "come through" when I arrived and it was for a very good rate. The manager was kind and patient, she was so helpful and reassuring booking me anyway at the offered rate stating I was not to worry it would be resolved in the morning when they could speak to the bookings office. She apologised for taking time to try to find me a nice room but only had inside rooms. I said I was not too worried. She wished me a good night and a lovely porter took me to my room. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and it was a very comfortable and tranquil experience. I had a lunch in the lounge on one of the days and the food was lovely, service polite and efficient. My room was really lovely with all the comforts you would expect ( nice having a TV in the bathroom - I want one at home now!). I also had dinner one night in my room and that was delicious and again the staff member was polite and helpful. I came across this hotel by accident but will stay here whenever I am in London on business or pleasure. Next time I intend to indulge in a famous "afternoon tea"! Thank you to all the staff who helped me during my stay especially the lovely check in manager when I first arrived and who was on duty when I checked out later (sorry I can't remember her name!!).

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
It's great to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and that you found the room met your requirements, especially after a long day of work. We feel a comfy bed, a great breakfast and fantastic service are the foundations of any great stay.

I will definitely pass your comments to our Duty Manger who resolved your reservations issues for you and checked you in. It is always great to hear when any member of the team has gone the extra mile.

Thank you for your lovely comments about the Lounge and Room Service staff, and I am pleased that your meals did not disappoint! And I definitely agree, you should not miss out on our famous afternoon tea when you stay with us next time.

We hope to keep you smiling for many more visits.

Operations Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!