“Getting the Royal Treatment!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Save Saved
You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Break Offer
Ranked #56 of 1,071 hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Getting the Royal Treatment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Took my parents to England for their 51st Wedding Anniversary & at the recommendation of Sis, booked us at Royal Horseguards. Have to say, this was our favorite hotel of the trip!

Right around the corner from Trafalgar Square, the Theatre District, Charing Cross & all kinds of fantastic touristy sights....including the Tube. This was the perfect location from which to base our sightseeing adventures

Super easy to get to - Embankment Tube stop is literally across the street & when one is schlepping heavy luggage, this is a blessing indeed!

Rooms are super-plush, water pressure is fantastic, staff was super-friendly & although the TV selection wasn't all that great, we'd still stay here again - after all, the Hotel can't help if there wasn't too much to watch

(Come on - my parents have been married for 51 years....how much nightlife do you expect?! There WILL be TV)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your great comments, and I am delighted to hear that your parents had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for choosing our hotel to be part of their 51th wedding anniversary celebration trip – we are honoured.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your rooms and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. As you say, our location is just great for getting to the main attractions of London. It certainly helps to keep life easy.

I am delighted to hear that you would return, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

2,100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Letcombe Regis, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Superficially this seems like a standard 5 star. Room was facing the river and view was fantastic- London Eye right opposite. . Was dog tired from buisness trip when arrived and went to sleep straight away. I am a deep sleeper however I woke up about 2 hours later feeling like something bit me and had itchy legs, moved to other side of the bed and hoped I was imagining things. Woke in the morning super itchy!!! The carpet was also a bit grey/not that clean. Go to the Corinthia 10 feet away, its fantastic and avoid this one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. I was most concerned to read your comments. I wish you had brought them to our attention during your stay so we could have investigate this situation further. Could I please ask you to contact me so you can enlighted me with more information about this situation.

I hope you are fully recovered and the itchiness has gone away.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here on New Years Eve and the location of the hotel is excellent! Just a few steps away from Embankment tube station and even less distance to the London Eye! Check in was very smooth and staff are excellent, they also mentioned they have a terrace we could view the fireworks on if we didn't want to go outside which was a nice touch.

We stayed in a deluxe double which was very spacious and the bathroom was gorgeous with the added bonus of underfloor heating! The only downside of the room was the view (or lack of!) on looking out the window all we had to look at was a concrete wall and other peoples windows! Would have been nice to know what the view would be like so we could have paid for a better room with view.

To eat we ordered room service which came from the restaurant One Twenty One Two and it was delicious! Next time in London i will have to visit the restaurant for a proper meal!

Overall it is an excellent hotel with a location that cannot be beaten and i think i will certainly be booking again at the end of this year too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view when booking!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay for the New Year’s Eve celebrations. I am sure you will agree the fireworks were fantastic.

As you say our location is great not only for the end of the year festivities, but also as many of the top London attractions are within walking distance from the hotel, and those further afield are easily accessible by the local tube and bus services.

I understand the disappointment you encountered with the view from your room. If you are returning next year you may want to consider booking an executive room with River view, guaranteed to make any stay extra special. But please book early to avoid disappointment, as these rooms sell out fast.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Room Service meal. I can highly recommend a meal in our One Twenty One Two restaurant the next time you are in the area.

We look forward to you returning to the hotel, possibly for next New Years Eve or even a little earlier.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you're looking to treat yourself...this is the hotel for you. Wonderful location...steps from Embankment tube station. We upgraded to a room with a river view and it was well worth it. Easily the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. The room was a great size. The windows were lovely and big. The breakfast is fantastic. If you're dining Monday to Friday...ask them for a voucher for a discount on breakfast. The service was impeccable from every person we encountered. I can't say enough about this hotel. Loved every second of being here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am pleased that you choose to book a River View room, as they always make a stay special. I will be passing on your comments about the impeccable service to the whole team, as it will make their day to read them.

We love every second of having you stay with us, and we can’t wait for you to come back.

Operaitons Manager
Dudley WMids UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I liked that children are welcome and the lounge area is not stuffy or too formal to help them feel relaxed and make the experience enjoyable. On the other hand, if I had been visting with just my husband, I would not have liked the disturbence of the crying and irritable children and general noise levels coming form other tables with children.

The children have a mini tea which comes with option of soft drinks or hot chocolate instead of tea which are refilled throught service. I didnt like the jam or nutella only sandwich options, seemed the' chicken nugget ' syndrome of most chain restaurants. Why cant the children have a more nutritional/ exciting selection? For instance Browns afternoon tea serve children the same food at either free or half adult price. I like that the leftovers were packed up to take with us and the children received a goody bag each.

For the adults, if you order champagne, you will have to drink this first before afternoon tea is served, so because of this our children had to wait for food. I found the shared stand between two containing just four finger sandwiches ridiculous. Yes of course you can ask for more, but each person should get a full serving of each filling option to begin.

I did not see a pianist but there was piped music. The toilets were very convenient and the standard I expect, moisterisers, cloths etc. The decor luxurious and foyer very inviting with christmas decor and roaring fire.

Champagne afternoon tea for two and three mini tea for our children (age 5,9 + 11) plus service charge £119.30. Everyone was full and satisfied when we left. Shame about the awful weather which made our arrival less spectacular than I had hoped having to dry off first.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Royal Horseguards hotel, we were thrilled that you and your family enjoyed the experience and found the ambiance and relaxed service so much to your liking. We love the warm and friendly atmosphere that family tables inspire and find there is very little disruption from our smaller guests; in fact many find the experience has their children acting like proper little princes and princesses, conducting themselves on their best behaviour!

Our children’s Mini-tea has been specially designed for a young and uncomplicated palette, and from our experience many children are not so adventurous to delve into the Forman's smoked salmon or Wiltshire ham and English mustard options available with our adult teas, however it is perfectly acceptable to request the adult varieties and flavours within the mini-tea options, so next time you visit please request this with our lounge team and I’m sure they will go above and beyond your expectations. I do hope your children found the fun spirited pastries and colouring books enjoyable!

We have reviewed your comments regarding the quantities of sandwiches and are happy to inform you that we have decided to amend the food delivery. Therefore instead of offering the usual unlimited refills of sandwiches, we will serve the full round per person in the first instance.

We take great pride in our award winning afternoon teas, which have been a huge success for the hotel and are constantly evolving the offer and product to improve upon the high levels we deliver. It is unfortunate you were not able to enjoy our live harpist and musicians on the time of your visit, our lounge team would be happy to let you know the dates they will be performing if you decide to return to enjoy the tea once again. Hopefully upon your return the weather will be more favourable and you may even get to enjoy our delightful sun terrace overlooking Whitehall gardens and the London eye.

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a short break. We arrived really early and were pleased that we could check in straight away. An upgrade from a standard room to one with a view of the river was going to cost extra so we decided against it, however with hindsight this would have been well worth the extra spend. Our room was rather compact and dark with a brick wall about 3 ft from the window, but was manageable however the "double" bed was tiny. Neither of us is large, but even so our sleep was constantly disturbed by bumping into each other through the night as the bed was so small. We were also surprised that there were no tea/coffee facilities in the room. On a positive note the hotel is in a great location with gardens that look out over the Thames and the Eye. Its a short walk or tube ride to all the main tourist attractions, the staff are lovely - friendly and helpful without being in your face. Breakfast was really good. All in all I think that un upgrade from the standard room, or at least a bigger bed, would have made a good stay great

Room Tip: Its worth paying a bit extra for a room with a garden/river view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was disappointed to hear that you did not find the tea and coffee facilities in the room. They would have been in the desk draws on the right hand side or in a cabinet.

I am sorry that you found the bed small in your room, which resulted in a disturbed nights sleep. All our standard rooms offer double beds, while some of our Deluxe and Executive rooms offer king size beds. I hope that this has not put you off returning to the hotel.

Our location is fabulous, and it is so convenient to get to all the major attracts in central London from us.

We hope you will choose to return to us again.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for two nights. The location is terrific - right near the Thames and close to the underground and all major sites, but away from the hubbub of the more touristy areas. Had friends and some relatives visit for a drink in the bar/lounge which was relaxed and had tasty edibles. The room was spacious with huge windows with a view of the river (beyond the trees and branches). I would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Thames and overlooking the gardens.
Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Wow what a fantastic review of our hotel!!

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location so convenient. It is great to hear that your friends and family approved of your choice as well!!

We can’t wait to have you back!

Operations Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!