“comfortable hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #78 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

firstly want to thank reception desk for upgrading our party of six , we had to wait a wee while for the rooms to be ready but that was a small price to pay to get a room with a view of the london eye etc , my children were impressed and thats what matters to us as parents, ages are from 11 19 and 21. we all enjoyed are short stay in this hotel and would not hesitate to book again , we have stayed in the softitel hotel which is another 5 star hotel and has been awarded with a higher rating with trip advisor guests but we feel we were accommodated more by this hotel chain , so that is a big plus . we will be looking to book another trip in the new year and will be returning . we had breakfast and that was very nice , the christmas tree and log fire in reception were lovely .well done to the staff and hope on return we get the same experience again ...

Room Tip: ask for river view floor six
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
I am pleased that we were able to upgrade your party to river view rooms and impressed your children in the process. It is impressive at any time, but I feel especially at night when it is all lit up. Thank you for the compliment about the staff.

It is fantastic to hear that you will return to us, and hopefully as soon as in the New Year!

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

A fine hotel, impressive welcome and friendly staff without being stuffy. Good room on the 8th floor gave a London view second to none. Would stay again, such a treat. A wander into next door's Liberal club takes you back in time. The perfect location for anything you wish to do in London. I parked in Spring Gardens off Cockspur St. No Hotel parking

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your splendid review!!! It is wonderful to hear that you found the staff friendly and welcoming, and you enjoyed the view from your room. The staircase in One Whitehal Place is beautiful as you say, full of history and Victorian splendor.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

First it was hard to get a room, a good sign! Reception was well staffed and swift, upgraded as the hotel was "full". 9th floor room so good view even though we were "at the back". Great room features, lighting on one dimmer with different levels, tv over bath, lift up mirrored "make up" section to desk, iPod dock etc. Turn down service with paper, & tea coffee re-fresh, a nice touch. Restaurant served great pre-theatre christmas dinner, Christmas Pud was exceptional !! breakfast was good and although busy was still well presented. A lost handbag that we advised was being delivered to the hotel just "appeared" on the bed, so natural we did not notice its return immediately! My job involves many hotel stays, but this was special ... 5* well deserved !

Room Tip: If you are "at the back" ie not overlooking the river then go for a high room to get a vie...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am delighted that we meet all your expectations, and managed to exceeded a few of them as well!!

I am pleased that you enjoyed your dinner in our restaurant, and I will keep my eye out for the Christmas pud. I will pass on your compliments to the chef.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the many features and amenities in the room during your stay. So much so, you missed the return of your handbag! What a compliment.

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Williston, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Wanted a centrally located hotel for a pre-cruise 3 night stay, picked this one due to several recommendations, price and location to Trafalgar Square and tubes. I had booked a executive king room and put in a request for a river view and windows that open, when we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised that they had upgraded us to the royal Horseguard suite... A beautiful 2- level suite with awesome views of the Thames river and the london eye. The service was exceptional and the concierges were very helpful, as we could buy our hop on/hop off tickets and the london eye tickets thru them. I know they won't always we able to upgrade, but our 1st visit to. London together made it more memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with river view... Also get the room with breakfast... Makes it easier.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your charming review.

I am delighted that you were able to experience one of our superb Signature Suites and that this made your debut trip to London a memorable and special one.

It is great to hear the service described as exceptional, and in particular from the Concierge Team.

We hope you had a fantastic cruise and when you visit London again, you will choose to stay with us.

Flat Rock, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

the hotel is right on the river and near a metro station, location is perfect. close walking distance to several sights. the rooms (at least the one i had) was big and spotlessly clean. great breakfast available. only complaint is that the staff is SUPER RUDE!! even by london standards :)

Room Tip: pay a bit extra to get a room facing the river. view is amazing and well worth it!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I am glad to hear that you found the location to be perfect and is indeed at the centre of everything London has to offer.

I am disappointed to read that you found our staff to be 'super rude'. This is not at all indicative of the 5 star service levels that we strive to achieve. I would be grateful if you could perhaps provide further details with regards to your experience, so that this can be investiagted fully. Please do feel free to contact the hotel directly to discuss your concerns.

King regards,

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have read with a little bit of bemusement some of the comments made by other contributors on Trip Advisor. Some have said they have encountered rudeness at the reception desk some have said they have encountered problems at breakfast time.I thought to myself this cannot be the same hotel I stay at when in London.However sure enough I have received rather somewhat sloppy service on one occassion whilst recently staying at the hotel.
So why the 5 star rating? Basically and I guess fortunately for the hotel I have been lucky to visit the hotel on many occassions and therefore know this unacceptable level of service is not the norm.
So come on guys you may not get a second chance with all your guests so you need to provide a consistent level of service.
Having said that my most recent stay was nothing short of superb and I am very pleased to say the staff were as always (mostly!) very polite and friendly.
From a tourist point of view (which I am not and never have been whilst staying here) the hotel is located in a beautiful part of London within easy walking distance to many major attractions such as Trafalgar Sq & The National Gallery , Fortnum & Mason , Covent Garden ,Theatreland, Westminster Abbey , The Palace of Westminster and Buckingham Palace. I could go on.
In summary, a great place to stay in a great part of London. Some say it`s pricey. I disagree given the location and the quality of the rooms and service etc. As I have said in a previous review you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your honesty in your recent review. I am pleased to hear that your last stay met the high standards you usually expects from us, but that we had let you down on your previous visit. I am sorry that this is the case, and I would like to recognise your loyalty to us in returning again after a poor experience. Customer service is critical to our business, so it is imperative that we get it right. We have taken your comments on board and we are working hard at addressing them.

We hope we will have the honour of welcoming you back many more times in the near future.

Hampshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

When booking be very careful to ensure you get the type of room you want. We booked a Deluxe which was billed as "up to 25 square metres". Ours was circa 15 sq metres but we did have a nice view but it was so small we asked to move. This was done and we were given an inside room (so no view) but it was about 30 sq metres. But we were told is was an Exec room but as it did not have a separate batch and shower which is in most of the write ups, I do not think it was. However, the location made up for the hotel shortcomings.

Room Tip: Beware tiny rooms overlooking the river unless you go for the top prices.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am delighted that you found the location of the hotel to be fantastic, but I was obviously disappointed about your review regarding the size of our rooms. Being such an old building our rooms do vary in size, and due our Grade II listing we were unable to make any changes to the layout in the last refurbishment.

I am however pleased we were able to move you to one of our larger Executive rooms for the duration of your stay. I am sorry we could not offer you one on the river , but to put your mind at rest not all our executive rooms have separate walk in showers.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future. Please contact the hotel direct when planning your next visit, so we can ensure a room is allocated that will meet your expectations.

Operations Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!