“Historical building, nice decor, small room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Horseguards

You added The Royal Horseguards to your Saves list
The Royal Horseguards
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #77 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Sunnyvale, California
“Historical building, nice decor, small room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

A very nice hotel. The hotel actually did house the royal horseguards, hence the name. Nice lobby, with comfy sofas around a fireplace. There is even has a harpist playing very serene beautiful music in the afternoon sometimes. A computer with internet connection & printer available for free by the elevators, which is very useful for travelers.

Service was good. The reception was quick, and offered if you wanted newspaper in the room or any wake-up calls.

Finding my room was a fun challenge because the layout of the 8th floor was somewhat confusing, as I got lost going around in circles a few times looking for my room! The room itslef was very small (being used to US sized rooms), ok for a single business traveler but definitely not spacious. As my room was on the 8th floor, and had some sloping walls due to the roof-line. Had to be careful there, as I knocked my head against that sloped corner once. Ouch! The room had one American-type power socket, which was a blessing for me as I forgot to bring my adapter. Otherwise, standard UK/Singapore/Malaysia/Asia type power sockets. Security safe available in the closet, which was fairly small. Also, no iron & iron-board, which is not so good for a business traveler like myself who needs to iron out some business wear. TV channels were ok, no cable channels for movies.

Oh, free wifi available throughout the hotel, but a little pesky to use. You pretty much have to logon from your web-browser each time before you can use wifi for my iPhone apps. Shut off the iPhone/iPad/computer, and you have to logon again when you use it again. No automatic logons.

The bathroom was similarly small, but of a good size. I loved the shower head, which is the rain-style head installed on the ceiling. A waterproof TV in the shower too. No sound system though, which made it a silent-movie TV, not much use unless you blast the sound from the room itself. Heated floors and heated towel rack are nice touches. They only provided one set of towels for my room though. I like to have at least 2, and had to keep asking from housekeeping for a second set.

The reservation does not come with breakfast. The hotel itself has a breakfast buffet but expensive. The reception gave me coupons for discounted breakfast for GBP 15, which is still not cheap.

Don't worry about breakfast. Just steps outside, across the street, there are cafes such as Starbucks, Costa and several others. Very convenient location for public transportation, since the Embankment station London Underground is right there as well, and steps away is the Charing Cross train station. The Embankment station is two stops away from Leicester Square, a popular tourist spot. Trafalgar Square is walkable from the hotel as well. And right outside the hotel around the corner, the London bicycles are available for rent from the kiosk, which you can pick up, ride and drop it off in other kiosks around the city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments with regards to your recent stay with us.

Such feedback is always invaluable, but may I just clarify a couple of your points.

I am sorry to hear that you had difficulty in finding your room on the 8th floor. Being a grade II listed building, we do have a dramatic shape to the property, hence the reason why your room has eaves, therefore making it unique. Also may I apologise for the intermittent internet connection you experienced. This is not usual, I once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

With regards to not having an iron or ironing board in your room, these do come as standards in all rooms and are located in the wardrobes. Our housekeeping team would have been more than happy to provide one should this have been missing, or to press any items that you may have required. I am glad that you liked our bathroom TVs also. However, these are not silent, and do have sound. The switch for this is also for the surround sound for the bedroom, and therefore provides sound in the bathroom to whatever is being watched / listened to. For future reference, this is the white dial located on the I-pod dock located by the main desk in the bedroom.

I am sorry that you did not get a chance to sample our delightful and plentiful buffet breakfast. On comparison to other local establishments, I do believe that you would not find a more generous or varied choice, nor at a better price, than our buffet.

Once again, may I thank you for your comments and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Please do feel free to contact the hotel directly however, should you wish to make a booking.

Kind regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Attentive, helpful & courteous staff. Great rooms, huge comfy bed, quality fittings, every requirement to hand. Food excellent, hotel in a great location. Love the Horse theme running throughout this hotel. Would I stay here again 'most definately'

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your fabulous review!

I am so pleased that all was to you liking and it sounds like we could not do any better to serve you. The 'theme' to the hotel actually relates to the Horsegurads Parade being close by to the hotel and is of course steeped in regal history.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed her over the weekend and visit London 10-12 times per year. The location Is ideal right on the bank of the Thames and a block from the Embankment tube station. The Staff was very courteous and attentive and resolved an issue my room had with a blown fuse within minutes. The room was very comfortable with all the amenities including a tv in the bathtub which my daughter thought was the coolest. The building is within walking distance of all the major sites and on a very quiet block. Price is on the higher end but I've stayed in similar star hotels without the amenities or the quiet the Royal Horseguards had.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments with regards to your most recent stay with us.

I am sorry to learn that you had a small issue with maintenace and a blown fuse within your room, but I am delighted to hear that this was indeed resolved immediately for you.

Knowing that your daughter thoroughly enjoyed and made use of the bathroom TV is lovely! They are certainly a novelty! Our location is indeed superb and easily accessible to the heart of the city.

Thank you once again.

Southwick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

All I can say is perfect! The rooms were superb, food was spectacular and the staff at the Royal Horseguards was so attentive. We will be booking our next London holiday at the Royal Horseguards! Cyril thank you so much for making sure we had a wonderful room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your superb comments!

I am delighted that everything was perfect and will ensure that Cyril receives personal thanks for his assistance.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Standish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

A perfect hotel! Location, staff, food, rooms are all faultless. This is my second stay in this hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others. Covent garden, Leicester Square, Trafalgar square, the embankment, houses of parliament are all within easy strolling distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room. An upgrade is possible on arrival.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the perfect review. It's great to hear that you thought the service, rooms and food were excellent during your stay. It sound like you took full of our location and choose to walk to your places of interest.

Thank you for recommending us, we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights over the bank holiday as the last fling of our honeymoon and we were not disappointed! To start with the location is fabulous (most of Londons major attractions are within walking distance) and tube stations are close by so you can get further afield. The building is both stunning and imposing on the inside and out, the rooms just continue that feeling. We stayed in a deluxe double overlooking the Thames and found the room to be very well appointed and a good size, the little touches such as the I pod player with bathroom & bedroom speakers and the caffetiere made it feel even more special. The star of the room though is the bed! Super comfortable with sumptuous pillows and beautiful Egyptian cotton sheets, we both slept fantastically!!
Room service was always prompt and always quicker than they said!!
We spent an evening in the Equus bar on the Sunday and enjoyed the 5 item tapas selection immensely, the service was polite and never intrusive.
All in all if you want a true 5 star hotel experience that delivers on every level then The Royal Horseguards should be your first port of call!

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Just returned with my daughter from a whirlwind London holiday. As many others mentioned, the Royal Horseguards is in a wonderful location.
Check in was a pleasure. The original room we were assigned was tiny and had a small window overlooking the Thames. We decided to switch to a much larger room but it had an interior view overlooking the escape stairs. The room was very dark but it was spotless and we loved having a huge bathroom with separate shower and bath. The concierge was not very helpful or friendly except for Richard. The doorman was standoffish and never opened the door or smiled. Overall the hotel was lovely and in a prime location but service may lack the five star rating.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for posting your constructive feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of your room. Our bedrooms do vary in size, but as we as a grade II listed building we were unable to change the internal layout of the property in the refurbishment.

I was most concerned to read of yours comments regarding concierge staff been standoffish, your feedback has been relayed back to the relevant manager to ensure the issues are addressed, and the necessary corrective training takes place.
On a positive note, I was pleased to read that you found your second room was spotless and you had a bigger bathroom with a shower and bath. I do agree the hotel is in a prime location where almost everything is just a cool walk away.

I am hoping that you would perhaps look to return back to us at some point in the near future, and if you so wish to then please do contact myself personally.

Kind regards

Operations Manager

Been to The Royal Horseguards? Share your experiences!