Came to London to visit clients on business. But travelling with my partner who has never been to London so we also did a bit of site seeing after work.
This hotel is nice.....is it brilliant? Well, not in my eyes but its nice. Would I recommend it? Well, yes but to a select few.
Its a newly renovated, old English, business style hotel in a super location on the edge of London's West End, right next to Embankment tube station and truly orientated towards the well to do but then again you wouldn't be reading this unless your pockets ran deeper than most.
The rooms are tiny, elegant and wonderfully appointed with dreamy beds, sparkling bathrooms complete with recessed tv and other little things like free wifi thats actually works at a decent speed, Ipod dock with piped music and stunning home wares.
In terms of the room types I don't think its worth asking for a standard double unless you prefer to open the window to a brick wall. All the standard doubles are ridiculously tiny and run on the interior as far as we could understand. We paid 30 pounds per night to be shifted to a river view and although the room was still small it had a breath taking view.
So why don't I rate this hotel higher? It just feels too stuffy, its too formal but hey maybe you like that and so the hotel would be perfect for you.
I struggled with things like the fact that I often had to walk outside the hotel to get mobile reception (T-Mobile and 3).and thats really poor for a business style hotel. I didn't like the waiter attempting to serve me three times with white tea when what I kept saying I wanted green tea...I think as a minimum they should understand what type of teas they have!
The really outstanding parts are the Location, Service (although they constantly struggle to understand your requests because the staff are all foreigners but full points for trying because they just keep trying hard until they get what it is your looking for) and the Decor.
So overall, I rate it 91 out of 100 (I don't like the five star thing) .
I liken this hotel to fine cellared wine - its rare, mainly for the well to do and suited to those who really appreciate it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This majestic five-star hotel presides over the River Thames. From glittering chandeliers to contemporary design, this central hotel near the London Eye reflects a proud heritage. Expect more, with free wi-fi throughout the hotel, fully refurbished Victorian splendour, award-winning dining, afternoon tea and sumptuous river view suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Amex, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, LondonMarketing.com, Priceline, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your The Royal Horseguards reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Horseguards Hotel London
- Royal Horseguards London
- The Royal Horseguards London, England