“A lovely stay at the Oliver Plaza Hotel...” 4 of 5 stars

Oliver Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Trebovir Rd, London SW5 9NF, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #495 of 1,049 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“A lovely stay at the Oliver Plaza Hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My experience at the Oliver Plaza was very pleasant. The gentlemen at the reception desk during the day are exceptionally professional – wonderfully accommodating, charming conversationalists, very polite indeed. When making the booking over the telephone we informed the manager that our flight back to New York had been delayed and, noting that we had come to London for business purposes only, and that we had no interest in going around the city in our final few days, he was more than happy to provide us with complimentary Internet usage for the duration of our stay. I was exceptionally impressed with the service I received even before I arrived at the hotel. The rooms are reasonably comfortable and well maintained, and the complimentary breakfast was satisfying enough. I cannot stress enough, however, that nicer croissants need to be provided, although this is coming from someone who has spent a great deal of time in hotels in France and Switzerland, and has come to expect delicious pastries for breakfast. Finally, the location is very convenient – Earls Court Tube Station is a rather short distance away, offering connections to popular locations in central London as well as a train service to Heathrow Airport. It is also located near a number of cafes and restaurants in Earls Court Road, and the number 74 bus which goes to both Knightsbridge and Oxford Street. I would certainly consider returning to the Oliver Plaza again based on the wonderful service I received.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I’d like to thank you for such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the Oliver Plaza.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, even more so reading that you would visit us again. Our team do pride themselves on consistently delivering only the best service in a warm and relaxing environment and am happy that this reflects in the feedback we receive. You are right, we are ideally situated for visiting London, be it business or pleasure.

Now we are looking forward to welcome you back at Oliver Plaza Hotel.

Suresh David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The majority, if not all, of the staff that I encountered at this hotel were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. It's disappointing to read the poor reviews of their behavior by previous guests, as I really felt that, of all the hotels I've stayed at in London, the staff here conducted themselves with an appropriate level of professionalism, which is something that I rarely see. They were polite, courteous, highly accomodating, and friendly (and not in an invasive way). Indeed, when I went down to breakfast one morning, I saw a gentleman who was incredibly rude to a server, bordering on being verbally abusive. This member of staff did not get annoyed, and even attempted to calm the gentleman down by offering him a complimentary English breakfast. Even after this, when the gentleman continued to behave in a completely unacceptable manner, the server maintained their composure and was friendly. The staff at this hotel are incredibly professional, and really seem to understand that they are in the hospitality business. It's really commendable.

However, even with this in mind, I would probably not return to the Oliver Plaza Hotel. The rooms are perfectly adequate (admittedly, there is still a great deal of room for improvement), but there are many other hotels in the area that offer equally comfortable accommodation at a more competitive rate. I'd also strongly recommend that the hotel changes it's policy and offers complimentary Internet usage to guests, as that would make potential clients more inclined to make a reservation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Arsolo,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at the Oliver Plaza Hotel. You’re right our team is one of our biggest assets and I am happy to read that you experienced our excellent customer service. Our staff has very individual and warm approach to every guest and they are often recognised for their professionalism and great customer service.
I am sorry to read that you were not happy with our rooms. Each and every one of our rooms is individually designed and decorated and vary in size and layout. I am confident we can find you a room that you will be very comfortable with. It’s through listening to our guests like you we try to improve our service and you will be happy to know that we have already implemented a complimentary internet service to all our guests.

I honestly hope to see you back at the Oliver Plaza and experience the stay in our other room types.

Kind Regards,
dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights for an olympic event.The Hotel is conveniently located to earls court tube therefore close to all city attractions. This is the only plus point of an otherwise disappointing stay in a supposed 3 star hotel. We had room 303 a twin bed room which was tiny and stifflingly hot even with windows open and a fan on. The room was clean and there was a safe and tea coffee facility and a flatscreen tv with lots of channels however there is no comfort in the room.It was spartan with old faded carpet and soft furnishings and the cheapest laminate furniture. If you plan a budget stay and just need the room for sleeping this would be fine however be aware there is no wardrobe ony a small pole stuck to a piece of wood which i presume is the hanging space. There is no other means of storage. There are 2 sockets only in the room which was a pain as one was in constant use for the fan so we were limited to one socket for charging phone, hairdrying etc..The bathroom is tiny to the point that sitting on the toilet meant knees touching the wall and you could touch all walls standing in the centre.The bath amenities were cheap and the towels smelled musty and were tiny. There was not one hanging space in the bathroom so towels were left on the safe in the room. There was a big step up to the shower so elderly people should be aware it probable wouldnt suit them. The bathroom suite was tired and old.There was only one pillow per bed and the beds are very old and small and felt cheap. I could feel every spring in the mattress and we both have backache still. Everything seems done on the cheap. The check in was perfunctuary and one gets the impression this asian run hotel gets you in, takes your money and gets you out. Infact they charged my card even before I got there so its all about the money!! Theres none of that lovely london charm we encountered everywhere else in the city which is a shame. Maybe they should remember they are in the hospitality industry. Check out time is 11am and bang on 11am I got a perfunctuary "madam you must check out now" call. I responded "we will be down in 2 minutes, thanks" only to be hung up on. As it happened we were leaving the room at bang on 10 past 11 and encountered a hostile young guy who claimed we had to pay a late check out of 30 pounds. When my friend challanged him he claimed to be joking but either way he came across very smarmy and unfriendly. At least they didnt charge us to leave our bags for a few hours. My friend summed it up perfectly when she said the room is like a private room in a hostel. For the price of over 200 pounds for 2 nights room only Im sure there are better options in london. Im not sure what the standards are for 3 star properties in the UK but in Ireland you can expect a day table with chairs and a chest of drawers aswell as other amenities such as a welcome book and hanging space for towels! The location is good but to be fair there are lots of hotels in the area that im sure are alot better. I wouldnt recommend. Oh and as a side note the lift is teeny. It is like half a lift and could only fit 2 people and one big suitcase at a stretch!

Room Tip: Stay in Earls Court but pick a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Please be assured that our management take these comments very seriously and I have followed up your comments directly with my team.

Whilst I was pleased to note that you appreciated our convenient location and cleanliness, I am sorry to learn that you found our rooms not as comfortable as most of our other guests. I have noted your comment about wardrobe and extra pillow. Each and every room is decorated to maximise space and we have open wardrobe and I am sure if you had spoken to our front desk they would provided you with an extra pillow and also the minor issues in your review could have been addressed immediately.

Most of all I was concerned to read your review about our team here as the delivery of caring and helpful service is the cornerstone of our service philosophy. You’d appreciate, we have to clean the rooms before the next guest arrives and during Olympics things were extremely busy and we had to request guests to vacate rooms after check-out. But we always offer them the options of storing luggage incase there is a late flight to catch etc…

Lastly, our lift can accommodate 4 people, as recommended by lift companies according to the size of our Hotel. Unfortunately, your experience here runs totally against what the vast majority of our guests regularly tell us.

It is disappointing for any stay to end on a low note, and even more so to learn that you would not consider returning to Oliver plaza. I am very sorry that your stay with us was not as positive as that of others on this site.

Franschhoek, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have been a patron of this hotel for over 20 years and can highly recommend it. It is well run, clean and the staff are consummate professionals. While the rooms are typical size for any London hotel- here read small, they are comfortable nevertheless. Suresh the manager and his staff go the extra mile in making everyone feel welcome and the number of returning clients is testimony to this. The joys of this hotel is it's easy access to the tube station and bus stops which allow one to be in the center of London in minutes.
Anyone attending an event at either Earls Court Exhibition Center or the Olympia Ehibition Center will find this an ideal choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Franschhoek,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following yet another stay at the Oliver Plaza hotel.

I am delighted that you chose The Oliver plaza everytime your business requirement brings you to London and am happy to read that my team took such good care of you for all these years. We are further pleased to note that our location and good value for money once again combined well to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience.

I am delighted at your recommendation to other travellers and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,
Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel and rate it as one of the best 3* hotels for value its location is
excellent near to Earls Court station restaurants banks buses.hotel very clean and rooms modern although small,there was no wardrobe just a hanging rail for clothes and no room for luggage we only stayed 4days so we managed. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good with a good choice of food.I cant praise the manager enough he was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.I would use this hotel again should i visit London.

Room Tip: try to get a corner room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Brenda,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our service. I have passed on your kind words to the team.

We have different types of rooms ranging from Double/Twin, family to studio apartment to cater to all types of stays, short or long, please let us know when you are coming next time so that we book appropriate room for your stay.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I have stayed regularly in London hotels and I think this must rate as one of the best 3* hotels in terms of value for money and location. It is very near to Earls Court Station, and is ideal for its variety of restaurants, banks, travel services, etc and tube and bus connections. The bus no 74 goes to Harrods, Knightsbridge, and Selfridges, Oxford Street. The hotel was freshly decorated and room was bright, very clean, comfortable and quiet. The service at the front desk was excellent, and the manager, Suresh David, was very pleasant at all times and always responded promptly to any request. I was travelling alone and as a single female, i felt very safe and comfortable here. I would highly recommend this hotel to any visitor to London for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Miranda G,

Thank you very much for your positive review on The Oliver Plaza,
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Our hotel is a clean, crisp product which aims to provide a good night’s sleep in comfortable and clean surroundings. We are happy to see from your review that we have ticked most of your expectations.

We now look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Recently stayed in this hotel for one night. The hotel's location was great, near Earl's Court Tube Station and plenty of places to eat. We were very disappointed with the bedroom which did not resemble the photos on the internet! The room while clean, was unbelievably small and cramped!

Won't be booking this hotel again, next time in London!

Room Tip: Room 106 has 3 single beds, 2 of which are in what looks like the conservatory over the hotel entran...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oliver Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!