“So, so......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington

You added Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington to your Saves list
Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Gloucester Road | South Kensington, London SW7 4QH, England (Earls Court)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #159 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“So, so......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

We stayed in this hotel in Sept 06. We arrived around 12ish and while the receptionist was efficient, she was very abrupt and did not make us feel welcome; after checking in we asked if we could go up to the room, she stated that check in was at 2:00 and to come back around 1:30 or 2:00. While I fully understand that we were earlier that the checking time and our room might not be ready, I think the manner in which we were told was rude and made us feel quite uncomfortable. In saying that, later in the afternoon, the reception staff changed and they were very courteous and really nice, but first impressions count.

The room was quite spacious but incredibly dark and had to have the lights on all the time, the view from our window was straight to a concrete wall, so one can say no much of a view! The carpet was definitely faded and did not feel like walking bare foot, so I was glad that I packed slippers from another hotel. Our room was just opposite the service entrance and we have been travelling all day the previous day and that morning and were exhausted; tried to go for a nap but it was quite difficult, (noise from bagging trolleys, slamming doors and staff talking loudly to each other,) and we ended up giving up. The bathroom was quite airy and light in contrast to the bedroom and the view was quite nice from the bathroom window. However the shower was position were the window was and kept spilling over the window and the curtains.

I have stayed in better hotels for the price and while we got a nice discount via LondonTown, I would've been really annoyed for what we got if we would paid the full price.

• Liked — So close to Knightbridge and the museums (Natural history and Victoria and Albert)
  • Disliked — front staff and the hotel was a bit faded
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
The Hague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

Fantastic location, with the Gloucester Rd tubestation across the street for easy access to the rest of London (and Heathrow airport). Very nice neighbourhood.
Beautiful décor, helpful staff, smooth check-in and check-out. Room was ready when I arrived (at 11am).
Had some trouble finding the room (529), but once there found it to be spacious, with a spacious bathroom (with bath). Internet-access, large closet, airconditioning. A little welcome-note on the TV when you come in. Coffee/tea making facilities cleverly hidden away in a cupboard.

Some downpoints: windows couldn’t be opened. In-room safe was broken (so had to leave my valuables with the front-desk). TV lists many satellite-channels, but many of them didn’t work (and no CNN or CNBC what’s that all about?). Only 1 chair in a double room. Only the “High” and “Off” options on the airco worked, “Medium” and “Low” didn’t. Airco is in a sort of box jutting out into the room, with the underside showing signs of leakage and with paint flaking off. Walls are very thin (I could hear the people in the next room talking –“talking”, mind, nót “shouting”!), and there’s a lot of noise coming in from the corridor. (If you’re a light sleeper: bring your earplugs.)

Nevertheless a pleasant stay. Public areas of the hotel are definitely 4-star, but the rooms need a little updating, thus slightly overpriced.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The little things that didn't work/didn't work properly
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy your tube-travelcard the day before in the evening. In the mornings there's a long line for the ticketcounter.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

My husband and I stayed here in March 2006 during a typical late Winter week in London and had such a delightful time, much of it due to the convenience and charm of this lovely hotel.

This is not a modern hotel, so for those of you looking for sleek modernity, you need not come. But, for those looking for a place to stay that FEELS like London, looks like London and is charming as all get out, then this is the place to stay.

Our room was just as advertised, clean and comfortable with no super-bells and whistles, but attractive nonetheless. That being said, after perusing this site extensively, we found the hotel to be surprisingly better than we had anticipated. We expected something really basic and got a lot of quirky old-world charm. This hotel has the oldest elevator in London, so they say. Neat.

Its location is absolutely essential to the London experience, so that you can walk and jet about on the Tube with ease. Get the week pass so you can go everywhere on a reasonable budget and make sure to do the Jack the Ripper Tour (yes, we thought it sounded ultra-touristy cheesy-weesy, but guess what? It was FUN). Avoid Madame Tussaud's-overpriced and not that super.

After living in London for four years of my life and coming back after not visiting for ten years, I was a little (only a little) taken aback by the prices, but it is still such a wonderful city, it is absolutely worth the trip.

We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Cheers!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

This hotel was so wonderful. I was worried about what I would find behind the door of Room 419 at the Millennium Bailey's Hotel, but what I found was a spacious room with all the comforts anyone could ask for. Of course, anyone can pick apart a hotel. This hotel was in an old building, and there were little things such as worn carpet on the steps, and dark hallways, however, the comfortable room we stayed in made up for those things. The lifts were always quick, yet they were small, they were big enough for about 3 people, however, there were 3 lifts, and a beautiful square staircase you could use if you didn’t like the lifts.

In the room was a comfortable double bed with cushy pillows and a fluffy comforter. A large bathroom with a towel warmer awaited us and a nice shower. We had our very own refrigerator which was stocked with drinks the hotel provided (for a fee) but I opted to visit the market which was next to the Underground to purchase my drinks, fruits and snacks to keep in the room. There was a coffee/tea maker available, but I ended up visiting the little coffee shop on the corner.

The hotel is perfectly situated right across the street from the Gloucester Road Underground. Also in the area were so many choices of places to eat and drink, and as stated earlier, the Waitrose food market was a good place to buy your own choices of fruits and snacks. There was an internet café directly across the street and a Coffee Republica on the corner! You must visit this Coffee shop. I ventured into this coffee shop one morning, and never went anywhere else, because of the wonderful man behind the counter who gave me a lesson on how he made coffee, and he made my coffee for me just the way I liked it, not too strong, and not to weak. Every morning, when I walked in, he would start to make my coffee for me. So you must visit the Coffee Republica on the corner of Gloucester Road by the Bailey’s Hotel.

I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anybody lucky enough to be traveling to London. What a wonderful place!

Stayed August 2006
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

I had a good stay here - the room was ENORMOUS, but I have spoken to collegues who have also stayed here and I appear to have been the exception to this rule, so if you can, request a big room.

The location is fantastic, right opposite the Tube station, bathroom was very small and old-fashioned but with all the bedroom space I didn't care.

Only problem was the bed - kingsized (well, I thought it was) was actually 2 singles pushed together with a big split down the middle - not very comfortable so I ended up in virtually a single anyway.

Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

I stayed at the Millennium Bailey’s hotel in South Kensington for one week in August 2006 and loved every minute of it! The staff were prompt and efficient, but also unfailingly pleasant at all times. The public areas of the hotel, including the lobby and winding grand staircase, were breathtaking in their Victorian opulence. The space featured ornate crown moldings, wrought iron railings, and original stained glass windows. I reserved a non-smoking Club room which more than met my expectations. The room was huge, clean, comfortable, quiet, and attractive. It also included some of the most robust air conditioning I’ve ever seen--a real delight in the summer since few places in London have it. Finally, the location of this hotel was very convenient. The surrounding neighborhood offered every possible amenity, including restaurants, a grocery store, ATM machines, pharmacy, and internet cafe. The Gloucester Road tube stop was directly across the street and joined the District, Circle and Piccadilly lines, the latter of which went directly to Heathrow airport. As a result, I found that many major sites in London were just 10-20 minutes away. The hotel was also within walking distance of Kensington Gardens, the Royal Albert Hall, and several museums. As Mary Poppins might say, "it’s practically perfect in every way"!

• Liked — Unique and historic hotel in a great location
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

I used the reviews of others to select this hotel on my recent trip to London and was quite happy with the result!! This hotel is accurately described as being 3 1/2 stars: sometimes it's a three-star, sometimes it's a four-star. Inconsistency is a good word. It is a beautiful building with an absolutely PERFECT location in beautiful Kensington next to the Gloucester Road tube station. This is its greatest asset in my opinion and I cannot rave enough about the location. The building itself is fairly old but beautiful with a great deal of street appeal. The lobby is also beautiful. The room, number 101 was spacious with a very comfortable king-sized bed and a nice view of Gloucester Road. Huge windows, nice decor, and very comfortable. Downside: thoroughly irritating and terrible shower curtain that attacks you while you shower (ever heard of magnets or a more heavy duty liner?). Room service was poor the first time (order was never received) and great the second (fast with great food). Service at the front desk was great, laundry/maid service was satisfactory, concierge was helpful. Never ate in the restaurants but (see above) tried room service. Price was baked into a package through expedia but I feel their prices are appropriate for the quality of acommodations and service. Overall it was great and I would recommend it to friends and family as a great place to start each day's adventure in the wonderful city of London!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shower Curtain
  • Tips/Secrets — Great for tourists; nice starting off point.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington? Share your experiences!