“Good location and facilities, just avoid basement room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Lancaster Gate | Westminster, London W2 3LG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #397 of 1,063 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“Good location and facilities, just avoid basement room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Mornington for one night during a work trip. The hotel is in an excellent location, a couple of minutes away from Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate station. The WiFi is free, not very reliable but good enough to get work done.

The staff initially gave checked me into a room in the basement, next to the breakfast hall. The room was very cramped, the hallway smelt dank and the window opened at street level, which made me feel unsafe.

Fortunately, there was absolutely no fuss made when I requested a change of room. I guess they must be used to negative reaction from their guests. And I was moved into a room on the first floor, which was quite the contrast. Although a bit small, my first floor room was up to the mark. And there is nothing to fault here.

I am happy to recommend this hotel, just make sure you avoid the basement room. In all honesty I don't think the hotel should offer these to guests.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the basement, it is claustrophobic and dank.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear A A
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests as well as providing an unbiased summary of the hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand your feelings about the Family room on the lower ground floor. Due to the layout of the building this was the only area it was feasible to provide enlarged rooms suitable for multiple guests. I am pleased that you appreciated being moved without fuss. We endeavour to meet all of our guest expectations and this can mean we need to move people from rooms we have allocated
In regards to your comments about the internet, the slow speed was due to a faulty router limiting speeds when more than 25 people were connected. We have replaced the router and the internet is now working with an average download speed of between 8-12 mbps
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
Email: byron.wilson@mornington.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Location: AMAZING! Within a five minute walk to the Lancaster Road Underground station (which is about 15 minutes from London Victoria). It can be a touch confusing walking from the subway station the first time you get there - so make sure you write down the directions carefully. There is a pub and convenience store nearby - for some late night goodies.

Rooms: I stayed in one of their smaller rooms. It was quite tight... but if you spend most of your time outside the room, it's perfect to just come back to for sleeping. The room was very well updated and took me by surprise. Very clean. Quietish - I'm a heavy sleeper so I didn't notice much. The walls are a bit thin - but, like the size of the room and hotel, quite typical for London standards.

Staff: The staff were helpful; nothing spectacular.

Amenities: The Wi-Fi is AWFUL. It will work - but so exceptionally slowly - that it will take a while to get through.

Room Tip: The basement rooms are more than 50% underground. Something to think about if that bothers you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Chauve-Souris-Voyage
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the internet. The slow speed was due to a faulty router limiting speeds when more than 25 people were connected. We have replaced the router and the internet is now working with an average download speed of between 8-12 mbps
Aalborg, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Mornington boasts they have free wifi, which is technically right. However, it's completely impossible to do any tasks online and you have to refresh constantly to get webpages up.
I would rather pay for a decent wifi connection instead of a crappy free connection.

The hotel itself is clean and my room isn't noisy at all. Staff is friendly and rooms are nice and clean.

The location just across from Hyde Park is nice as well. There are a few cosy cafes and restaurants just behind the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Morton V
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that internet aside you enjoyed your stay with us. In regards to the Internet we have fixed the speed of the internet. We had a faulty Router that was slowing down the connections. We are once again providing complimentary high speed wireless internet to all of our guests. Today the download speeds were coming back at 12mbps.
I hope that now the internet is fixed you will return to us when you are next in London.
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here one night since I needed to be close to Paddington.
Room was quiet facing the backyard and the bed comfortable. Yes, the room was small but for a short stay that is ok. Short walk through residential neighbourhood to Queensway with lots of restaurant.
Reception staff swift and friendly.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear MarieMalmo
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your comments help us improve the experience for future guests by letting us know what was good and what needs to improve.
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you will stay again when you are next in London.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked a double room with a bath. Well, we got a a small bath OK but the room was really a single room with a double bed in it. The bed was right next to the window so that would have meant one person had to climb over the other to get in and out of the bed. I complained immeadiately and we were given a much better room with a shower.
The breakfast was quite good however there was no warm plates to put the cooked breakfast on.
The staff were all friendly and efficient and the hotel was quiet.
I have stayed in hundreds of hotels world wide. This one was rated as four stars but felt more like a three star to me.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a room with a bath as these tend to be the smaller rooms in the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear 7csailer
I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expecatations. We have rooms of veering sizes. I am pleased that we were able to find a room that was suitable for your requirements. I would like to know what else we could do to meet your expectations of a 4 star hotel.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have stayed at many London hotels and Mornington is one of the best mid range ones.

THIS WAS VERY GOOD:
Room: Refurbished, nicely decorated, very comfortable bed (ok, I was alone and with two people sharing the queen size bed maybe had been to narrow), big wide screen TV, thick curtains to shut out the light and noise, good heating (also works as air con in the summer).
Bathroom: All tiled, great pressure in the shower, free toileteries.
Breakfast: Full English breakfast (choise of eggs) and even fresh-pressed orange juice. But no whole grain bread :(
Location: Tube - Paddington or Lancaster Gate. Night bus stop very close. Just by Hyde Park - great for a morning walk or jog.
Staff: Reception staff very helpful and nice.

THIS WAS BAD:
At breakfast I was very rudely asked to pay before I ate, although breakfast was included in the room price and already paid for. I explained this to the breakfast staff but the woman was very assertive and upheld she had double checked. I had to go up to the reception and bring down the very nice man who could explain I was right. And did I get an apology? Yes, from the receptionist but not from the breakfast staff...

All in all my stay was top! There are always people working at places where they shouldn't be.

Regards,

Sari Hänninen
Tullinge, Sweden

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sari H
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the breakfast. We have instigated additional training for the Front Office team so the reservations are correctly entered. We have also added a new pre arrival check to ensure that we pick up any errors prior to arrival so that we get the billing and inclusions correct.
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I spent three nights here in late December. The price is very reasonable considering the location, a short walk from Paddington, which is great if you're using the Heathrow express. The rooms are small, but no smaller than you'd expect for this price range in central London. I got a double, which was comfortable for one person, cramped for two.

The one major drawback of this hotel, one which would probably stop me coming back despite the convenience and value, is the noise level. The room doors close with a loud bang, and the rooms are not well sound-proofed. So I would get woken up several times a night (and early in the morning) by the door of the neighboring room. The guest wasn't deliberately slamming it, just letting it close to - but it was loud enough to make the wall shake. Quite a nasty shock being woken from a deep sleep by such a loud noise - as loud as if it was my own door.

Other criticisms - the wi-fi is very poor, not good enough for Skype calls. The breakfast may be good (I didn't try it), but if you don't book in advance (I didn't, not being 100% sure I'd wake up on time) it's 15 quid, which is just too much for a hotel in this price range. I had quite a lot of work to do that required internet access. I was able to get everything done, but lost several hours due to disconnecting/reconnecting and waiting for pages to load at dial-up speed.

If you want the heating adjusted you have to call reception and tell them what temperature you want, which is not a problem, but is slightly strange - and something they could explain to guests at check-in.

All that said - if you're a sound sleeper or don't mind using ear plugs, and don't need a particularly good internet connection, this is actually a very nice hotel. Clean, well equipped, with friendly and helpful staff. And a nice common room and bar area.

If they would install quieter doors or improve the sound-proofing, I would come back here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear GarryOwen78
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Tripadvisor. Your comments let us know what is important for our guests and help us improve the experience for future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your commenst aboput teh noise and internet.
We have been working with our Internet provider to resolve the problems with the speed. We believe that we have found problems and will have a faulty router replaced this week.
In regards to the noise I understand your concerns. We have implemented additional floor checks in an effort to ensure that there is minimal noise coming from other guests.
Email: byron.wilson@mornington.co.uk

Been to BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel? Share your experiences!