“not goog at getting your reservation right” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #531 of 1,065 Hotels in London
lancashire
“not goog at getting your reservation right”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

We booked our stay at the hotel 4 months before arriving. When we arrived there was a family in front of us who's reservation was wrong. They had booked a triple room but I over heard the staff telling them that they don't have any triple rooms. As they were with an 8 year old the parents had to be seperated and one had to stay with the chlild. So when i got up to the desk, i knew in advance there was going to be a problem as i had booked 1 double and you guessed it... one triple. I was told i had only booked a double until i showed them my booking form. So then they send us off to the lounge to wait to see what they can do. in the end we managed to get a 2 doubles and a single which was fine for us but if we had had a child we would have had the same problem as the previous couple. After talking to other people in the hotel, messing up the reservations seems quite normal. one family from australia had their 2 children in one room and the parents in another but the rooms were at total opposite ends of the hotel.
The hotel in general is clean and in easy reach of paddington station. a hint though.... if there's 5 of you, get a taxi from euston instead of paying on the tube. they both cost £20 and a taxi is much more comfortable!
The breakfast was ok, plenty to choose from, thought orange juice was foul. also make sure they don't try to charge you for english breakfast when you check out. we had booked it but they told us we had only booked a continental breakfast..... when you go down for breakfast there is a choice but you are not told that full english costs more!
Another recommendation to the hotel is to get a lift installed ion the refurbished part of the hotel..... 6 flights of stairs 4 times a day is no fun for anyone, least of all the maids who have to drag up and down heavy loads of laundry!
I'd recommend this hotel to back packers and 1 night stayers. we stayed for 2 and it was enough.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

I made the booking through [--]. I stated that I would be arriving late (after 10pm). I arrived at midnight. I was asked to fill in a registration card. The staff were dealing with multiple tasks at the same time, and kept leaving me to go "out the back". Some minutes later, the fire alarm went off and every one of the staff decided they needed to be involved looking at the fire panel. Some few minutes later I had completed my card, then stood waiting while the reception answered phones. I really felt like I was being ignored. I then waited again to get my room key. I was then told that due to reburbishment of some rooms not being completed, that there were no rooms available. Did they really expect the refurbishment to be completed by 10pm, or did they just book the room to someone else since I didn't arrive until midnight?

I was then told that they were trying to find me alternative accommodation at another hotel. I was told no hotels in the area had vacancies, and would have to go to a hotel in Earls Court. It was now 12.30am. A car is called to take me there, then I hear that no, I am not going to Earls Court, I am going to the Shaftesbury Hyde Park Hotel, and a car would be there soon. The car arrived at 12.40am, and then there was confusion about the address. The driver was told... "it's just near Queensway". He insisted on being given the full address (I can understand why!). So, some one hour later I arrived at the alternative hotel.

So, they knew I was arriving late, but did not arrange alternative accommodation BEFORE I arrived. When I did arrive, everything was completely disorganised, it took 45 minutes to sort it out. .

Following this, I emailed the hotel twice to ask for a further explanation, and have so far received no reply. I won't be staying here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Who knows, as they didn't have any rooms left.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

We arrived in London on 1 June 2007 and stayed at the Sister Hotel in Bayswater. Our month long vacation required us to book an additional three days at the end of June to do some further sight seeing. We booked the Paddington on the 3 June for three nights ( 26,27, 28 June ) , had our confirmation number and when we arrived we were informed we were being shuttled to a different hotel due to " construction problems".

We were re located to the Hilton Kensington -- Great -- No this place looks great but we were treated as second class guests.

The last two nights we were shuttled back to Paddington only to stay in a room that was ten feet by ten feet. We had no place to put our luggage. -- The staff suggested we could store it in their storage room -- This is an ok hotel for the business traveller but not for people vacationing with luggage.

We stayed in the newly renovated room but found the bathroon very small and poor lighting. It ws very difficult to have addequate lighting for my wife to apply her makeup.

We paid 169 pounds ( $325 Canadian) per night for this cubby hole.

Would not stay here again and will probably not consider Best Western chain for future vacations.

• Liked — The loacation to transit and shops
  • Disliked — Value for my money
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed three nights in this hotel in June 2007. We had three rooms at the hotel. One room was a very small room the needed some work. One room was very nice and large by comparison to other London hotels I have stayed. The last room was in the newly renovated part of the hotel. It was very nice. We had read so many terrible things about the hotel so we were not looking forward to our stay here, but it turned out to not be near as bad as every said. Everyone seems to complain about the desk being across the street, it is not like the street is a major freeway. It is a quiet, not busy street in Paddington. I would stay here again if ever in London.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

We booked through central-london apartments to get a studio suite. When we arrived late, we got stuck with this really really tiny room that was really only big enough to fit a double bed and a sink. The bathroom wasn't too bad.

When I tried to test my adapter the room's circuit almost blew up and all the lights turned off. We quickly ran over to the front desk and they helped us fix the circuit ... kinda. Our lights were not properly working still, but since we arrived late (11 pm) they could not move us to another room until the following day.

The following day there was a different staff at the front desk so they were not aware of our situation entirely. They knew we had to move but we had to explain to them about our fizzing circuit. They assured us that they would have an engineer look at it and if we needed to, they would move our stuff for us to another room. We also asked them about an adapter and they said they would have that ready for us as well.

When we arrived we were informed that they moved our stuff to another room (see pix), which was much nicer and had no circuit problems and gave us an adapter.

Overall, the staff was friendly, the location is not too bad (about a couple of blocks away from lancaster gate and paddington tube stations). There's a convenient and cheap deli you can go to for breakfast around the corner as well as many other restaurants. I'd recommend this hotel. Just be aware of if you have a late check in...

• Liked — staff, location, nice bathroom
  • Disliked — circuitry, size of room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

I stayed at this hotel and it was horrible. I wouldn't refer it to my worst enemy. At first we were put in a hotel room across the road. The room was super small, the walls were dirty and the blankets were ratty. The closet door wouldn't close and it was very dim. The telephone would not work so every time there was an issue I had to walk to the front desk in the rain and cold. Also the HEAT WAS NOT WORKING! I asked to move to another room and they said they were booked but would move me the next day. The other room was newer but the shower was so small that you could not turn around. I asked for an adapter each day and was told that they were out. I was very dissapointed in this hotel. Save your pennies and stay at the * up the street.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything was bad
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

We chose this hotel as it was the cheapest we could find that looked nice and had ok reviews. The pictures on the web are of the rooms in the main building, we were put in a building across the road from the main hotel and this was in much need of updating. The room was clean although very small, only just enough room to squeeze in the double bed. We had to put the kettle on the floor to make a cup of tea as the wire would not reach to the only plug socket. Also the shower door did not shut although there was plenty of hot water.

Don't book a breakfast in advance, it was advertised at £15 each but when we arrived we were offered breakfast at half this price. During breakfast they were constantly running out of food and staff were slow to replenish it although the standard of food was good.

The hotel is in a good location as it is approximately a 6-7minute walk from Paddington station.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — quality of room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!