“Can t understand what the complains are about” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #512 of 1,073 hotels in London
North Wales
“Can t understand what the complains are about”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

After reading the reviews for this hotel I was a bit worried about staying here. But now I can honestly say I don t know what all the fuss is about,I suppose you just can t please everyone and some people are nt happy unless their moaning and complaining.
unfortunately i fell over and damaged my ankle so had to leave after only one day , the reception staff gave us a full refund for the remaining 2 nights we should have stayed there,the staff were very helpful,friendly,and also spoke good english (so what if they didnt you only need to go to reception to check in and out).And they arranged a taxi for us to go to euston station at a very reasonable price
On the whole I found this hotel to be very clean,modern,and my room was fantastic with all mod cons ,their was a plasma tv on the wall,very modern decor ,lighting e.t.c,the bathroom was great aswell very modern and most importantley spotlessly clean.
So I would nt take too much notice of the wingers and let them put you off this very excellent 3* hotel(If you want something top class go to the Ritz or The Hilton)
The location was fantastic lots of little shops and restaurants and little cafes if you want a good english breakfast for £2.99.
I have stayed in other 3* hotels in european cities ,mainly Paris and Amsterdam and this is by far the best, and I will definately be going back.

• Liked — Quiet for London ,near tube stations
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

The receiption people are far below what should be excpected when arriving a hotel. We arrived late in the evening and were told that they could not find any resevations, despite I called the day before to assure that the booking, done 4 months ago, was OK. The hotel was full, and after 1 hour they sent us with a taxi to a hotel near Marble Arch (they said). It appeared that the hotel was in Kilburn far from central London. We went back to the Best Western Paddington asked why they were lying, but instead of an apologize, we were told that we had misunderstood the situation. After a lot of argueing we were told that we could stay 2 nights in Kilburn and then be pick up 10 a.m. in the Kilburn hotel. Our rooms should also be upgraded to suites when we returned. Both the pickup and the upgrade was written down and signed by the reception manager on request from me. At 3 a.m we were installed in a very nice and service minded hotel in Kilburn. Sunday, when we should return to Paddington, we had the receiption in Kilburn to call Best Western Paddington to assure that a car was sent to pick us up. After 8 calls they finaly got hold of the head receptionist, but he did not know anything about sending a car for picking us up. After a lot of new arguing and lies, he sent a car that picked us up 11 a.m. The upgrade to suits was what I would call a joke. The room was so small that just one suitcase could be opened at the same time, and in the breakfast room it was queue for about half an hour to be seated. The only positive about this hotel is the location and the room cleaning. Unfortunately that was not enough to save a 4 days stay in London from beeing like a nightmare.

Displeased visitor from Oslo, Norway.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

Stayed here at the end of April 2007. I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK!!
I was put into one of the "suites" across the road from the main building, room 653. It is in fact a very small basement room with one window looking into two other toilet windows and at the bottom of a dirty vertical gap about 8 feet square.

Do not be tempted to open the windows as the downpipes for rainwatrer are corroded and leaking and the sound of even light rain cascading down wakes you up. This means you have to ensure the windows are closed. If you put the air-conditioning on it freezees up around 3'ish in the morning and makes a very loud dripping onto the carpet. (and lovely wet socks the next morning)

The TV did not work initially and needed to be tuned into the 5 channels available and a couple of frozen digital channels. This takes about 10 mins every time, annoying if you come in wanting to see a particular program . Then again you would end up with a crick in your neck as the TV is installed at a slant. Why ?

Slight personal moan here, if you need glasses to read, then the lighting will not be enough to allow you to read without straining. I had to remove the lampshade to read, even the natural light was dim

Have a wash or shave? Not unless you have the tap running continually. The plug for the sink was missing and despite 5 requests over 3 days and promises that it would be sorted, nothing was done. That I think epitomises the standards of this hotel !

If you are late in and want a drink, forget it , the bar closes at 11.

However there is a do not disturb card that you can use, if only there was a handle to hang it on.

Do NOT expect to get any sleep after about 07:30. The noise is incredible with people walking above, cleaning staff (I think)dragging and banging stuff around for about an hour.

Breakfast is open till 10 and is nothing special, not quite poor, but close. Be aware of when you are checking out as I was charged for extra breakfasts that I could not have physically managed.

Overall I was there for three nights, got broken sleep EVERY night, woken up EVERY morning, could not get a drink and a very poor service indeed. Thank goodness that there are lots of restaurantas in the area

I have stopped in many B&B's that offer better facilities than here
I think Best Western are using an a superlative without reason

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — dripping water onto carpets during night or the Noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
oslo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

So expensive for so little! The rooms are ok, but tiny, tiny. The worst thing was that you actually hear ANYTHING the neighbours talk about. ..oh, and the breakfast is not to be recommended. The area is nice, though.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The room was small but it was clean and neat. The temperature in the room was easily ajustable and there were windows that could be opened.There was instant coffee and tea bags provided and an electrical waterheater to heat up the water in seconds. There was free internet service which was nice ( although very slow ) and when the keyboard was not working and I called the desk , somebody was send up immediately to check out what the problem was ( it needed new batteries, which were provided) The bathroom was nice with a tiny shower but in perfect working order, some very nice fluffy and supersized towels and a hairdryer. Continental breakfast was included ( mixed fresh fruit, yoghurt, cold sausage slices, cheese, a variety of sweet rolls, bread, orange juice and coffee ). I was told that my breakfast could be upgraded if I wished for 5 pounds more and than I could have eggs, bacon and potatoes included. I found the hotel staff extremely friendly and helpfull ( when I asked for a converter for my camera and at first was told that they didn't have any for my american camera, somebody knocked on my door about 30 minutes later to tell me they had found one). The location was very good ( in walking distance from Paddington Station) and next to a cozy street with lots of restaurants and shops.

• Liked — The hotel staff of this hotel were extremely friendly and helpfull
  • Disliked — The shower was too tiny to stand in although it was in perfect working order.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

I stayed here for five nights in mid-March. The pluses: the staff was very friendly and courteous, it is a very short walk from the Paddington Train station (which you take directly from Heathrow), and it is in a good location. Hyde Park and Kensington Park are two blocks away, and there are lots of little cafes nearby. It was very quiet yet near lots of sights. The hotel also provided internet access in the main area, as well as wifi. The negatives: the "lift" was broken, which meant we had to hoof it up four flights of stairs (which was kind of a pain after walking and seeing the sights all day), the showers were TINY (ie, if you moved slightly your body touched the shower curtain), and the comforters on the beds appeared to have stains on them. Although I enjoyed my stay in London, I will probably not go back to this hotel. I would definitely stay in the surrounding area. We got a fantastic rate so I am not too disappointed in the hotel.

• Liked — It was quiet yet in the center of things.
  • Disliked — The fact that the lift was broken.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kitty Hawk, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2007

I agree that it is always better to come here first before reserving a room! I didn't know anything about London but knew I wanted a certain location which would be good to walk to many attractions.
This area is perfect. It is residential so you feel like a local walking the streets. There is a pharmacy and little cafes closeby, Paddington Station was an easy walk so the Heathrow Express worked out great. The best thing was that you are only a few blocks from Hyde Park, which is perfect for kids.
Saying this, there are several hotels in the area. I would recommend the same area but ANOTHER hotel.
It is true that the staff do not speak English. They are not polite and are not helpful. Thankfully, my husband and I travel internationally a lot and even with two small children are pretty self sufficient. I was annoyed that I requested an early checkin (as we had an all night flight) and a crib (I even emailed to confirm a week in advance, with no reply). They seemed to have confused our reservation...wanted us to have a double with no crib and wanted us to wait until 2:00 for check in time. I finally spoke up and said that we booked through British Air, booked a Triple with crib and an early checkin. They said that maybe we could get in around 1:00.
Our room was a triple...it was neat and clean. The bathroom was large, I thought. Our crib was not waiting for us, we had to ask again for it.
The biggest problem I have is that after I made the reservation (months ago), a week before my trip, I received an email from British Air saying that the hotel advised them that there would be some "slight construction" but that the workers were instructed to work only during "regular business hours" so as not to affect the guests.
Listen. The construction is not limited to one area only. They start early in the morning. So you may be asleep at 7 am (that would be 2 AM eastern time!!!!!!!!) and suddenly a chainsaw starts right outside your window. Or you could be relaxing on a Saturday morning and at 7 am, someone hammers on the floor above you. The walls are super thin which I can deal with when it's only talking or tv on the other side of them but demolition is not something I want to hear first thing in the morning.
Their construction project is extensive. They really should've shut down until they could finish but I get the feeling they are too cheap to do so. I think they feel they can sucker people in with polite and vague warnings.
So stay in the area...it's beautiful~ Stay away from Best Western Paddington Court.

• Liked — The Neighborhood
  • Disliked — Construction
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!