“Good Hotel, Good Location, small down points” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

You added Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Formerly BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London)   |
Ranked #518 of 1,050 Hotels in London
“Good Hotel, Good Location, small down points”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Upon arrival we were guided into a room that was nice itself but situated in a basement, looking out on wall were the housekeeping team was storing trash bags. After 5 minutes the receptionist called and asked if we would like the room, after asking for a room with a little view and not situated in the basement, a bell boy guided us to the top floor to show us another room which we accepted. It was a little bit smaller than the previous one but the better view and the daylight was worth it.
Staff was always nice and helpful. Location is very good since its situated 4-6 minutes walking distance from the tube which gets you everywhere fast. Interior was nice and clean. Only down point was, that the fire alarm went of 3 times in the early morning hours during a 5 night stay. After calling reception they always clarified that there was everything okay, still not very nice to get waken up by that and if it happens 3 times. Housekeeper came in once even if there was a Do not Disturb sign placed.
Good hotel in general, but small down points made it only an average experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel has a very modern design and it looks it has been recently refurbished. So modern in fact that I could not work out how to turn off the rain shower in the morning and had to call housekeeping to do it for me. Despite being on the ground floor and having a window facing the road, I could not hear much street noise. I had a single bed. It was comfortable, but it was really small - some single beds are a bit wider and I prefer those. Breakfast wasn't included in the room rate, so I haven't tried it. Not very far from Paddington station, but considering the quality and size of the room I feel the room was slightly overpriced.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I booked a room at the Park Grand Hotel around the corner. Upon check in they told us that we had been booked into their sister hotel, Paddington Court.

The level of customer service I was expecting for the price we paid was bad, not terrible, but not great. The bell boys mixed up our luggage tags and couldn't locate our two large suitcases. When they brought up our 3 shopping bags we had left earlier that day prior to check in, they asked if we had brought luggage with us. When we said yes, they asked my husband to go to the store room and identify our bags. When he pointed them out, they blamed him for the mix up. Umm, what? Well, at least they didn't lose them I guess...

The large construction crew renovating the hotel did not have any problems vocalising their conversations and their heavy footsteps very early in the morning.

The room itself is actually lovely. The bed is really comfortable (although we booked a king and it was two beds pushed together). And they provide a free paper every morning.

The bathroom was completely re done and quite spacious but the toiletries were lacking a little (shampoo, conditioner and body wash but no moisturiser) and they did not provide face washers (which we've never come across in our travels before). (NOTE: The hairdryer is hanging in a bag in the closest!)

Location is excellent! Close to both Paddington and Lancaster Gate tube.

Stay once the rennos are done... if you don't mind bad, not terrible but not great customer service.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
København, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked another hotel but due to maintenance reasons we were offered a transfer to the Shaftesbury Paddington Court and upgraded with complementary breakfast. Staff was very helpful all the time and the rooms newly renovated (one week ago or so). Breakfast was on an ok level.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On business in London, this hotel was booked for me. When I initially went to the reception, it was noticeable that the amount of dust was excessive, this was coming from the rather loud building works that are taking place in the hotel. So loud in fact that I couldn't actually hear the receptionist who apologised profusely.
It didn't get any better as I was lead to my 'suite' across the road, and down into the basement of a building. The smell as I approached the room was noticeable, a dank, damp hum, which seemed to be permeating most of the basement floor.
Upon entering the room, it was apparent that this was coming from the bathroom, which really smelt offensive. The room itself was a dark, cave like place, which looked out into a tiny courtyard that was decorated with old leaves and rags. I was further impressed by the fact that there was no carpet throughout the room, and instead cold tiles predominated. Useful if I need to keep farm animals in my room during my stay, I thought, as I hurried off to my first meeting.
Upon arriving back at the 'suite' that evening, I hung my clothes up in the wardrobe. Guess what, that smelt strange too. To enliven my stay, I thought I would catch up with the football. Sadly, no joy, as ITV didn't work, maybe CH4? No joy there either.
Faced with sitting in my dank, damp, cave with two TV channels to choose from, I thought I would get my head down. Being underground, it was nice and quiet. That was until my upstairs neighbours arrived home about 11.30. I was riveted to listen to every word of their conversation whilst I mulled over what the floors were made of. Balsa wood perhaps?
After my neighbours went to sleep, I too drifted off.
Awaking in the morning, I skipped across the road for breakfast. This was at best mediocre, but never the less the highlight of my stay in 'the cave'.
Having left the hotel for a number of hours now, the smell of the damp remains with me, and it could possibly be three showers needed before the dust is removed.
Would I recommend staying here? Perhaps, if the human race evolves into underground mole men, then yes.

Room Tip: Ask to be kept out of the bat cave
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was really lovely. Rooms and bathroom were immaculate - no complains there at all.
Girls on reception couldn't have been more helpful either.
Rooms are quite small in size but to be honest they are so well kept and in London you only need somewhere to sleep it was perfectly adequate.
About ten minute walk max from Paddington station.
They were doing up communal areas in the hotel (stairways etc) which wasn't a problem at all just to let you know they are painting etc there at the moment.
We did have a small gap in our window which did create a draft it wasn't a big issue and didn't keep us up (even though there were really strong winds while we were there) but some people may fine it a little annoying/cold/drafty. But over all it is a really lovely hotel we were really happy with it.

We didn't eat at the hotel as breakfast seemed to be quite pricey but there are plenty of places down the road to eat so again wasn't a problem.

Stayed May 2015
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had booked our stay at another hotel, but (because of a technical problem) we were moved to Shaftesbury Paddington Court. The hotel is very stylish (though under renovation) and is located in the Paddington area, very close to Hyde Park. The staff is very friendly and accommodating: we asked to be moved from a room on the second floor to the ground floor (because the elevator was out of service) and they moved us to a larger and more spacious room. Excellent breakfast and room cleaning.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!