“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #515 of 1,073 hotels in London
United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Cannot fault this hotel at all booked in for a surprise 50th gave us a free up grade champagne and beautiful cake every member of staff gave excellent service, went over and above the call of duty. Beds very comfortable

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1,689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 3 nights and have had a lovely holiday. We had a little problem with the room when booking in but this was sorted efficiently and we were upgraded to a club room in the buildings across the road. This was a newly refurbished room with a little additional room space although the bathroom was a little compact. The housekeeper checked with us daily to ensure everything was satisfactory.
We stayed bed and breakfast and the breakfast was very tasty with a good selection of hot and cold food available. It was replenished often so no stale food was present.
The hotel is in a good position close to 2 subways and bus stops, Hyde Park, shops and varied places to eat and drink.
We would definitely consider staying here again on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear happytripper41,

We are pleased to know that you were happy with our rooms(in annex building) which are newly refurbished.I have shared your comment with entire team especially housekeeping.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direclty on your next arrival and we will look after your stay again.

Munster, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is about four blocks from Paddington Station and is near Lancaster Gate tube (underground) station. We booked two triple rooms, identified as "Junior Suites" on the website, as there were six of us traveling together, my husband and I and our four grandchildren, ages 12 to 20. Upon arrival, we were told that our rooms were in the building across the street. The rooms were on the top floor of the building. The staircase to reach the rooms was narrow and steep without railings in places. There was no elevator (lift). By the time I reached our floor, my heart was pounding. I went back to the front desk and asked if they had a room on a lower floor. We were offered one room in the main building, one floor down from the lobby. It was a Club Room containing a Queen-sized bed and a Twin-sized bed. The room had a small refrigerator and a microwave oven, and was large enough that another bed could have been placed in it. The bathroom was very nice, with new-looking fixtures and a large shower. We were told that there was only this one triple room in the main building available, so we grandparents took this room, and three of the older grandchildren took the room across the street. In order to enter the building across the street, a room key (card) is needed to open the front door of the building, which is a nice safety point. Both rooms were very clean, and the beds were very comfortable with multiple pillows and a fluffy white duvet (comforter). Our room in the main building faced the back of the building, and was very quiet. Our grandchildren also mentioned that they heard no noises. Our room had a vase of fresh carnations, and the grandchildren's room had a live orchid plant placed in the room. Fruit and cookies were left in the room when we came back from sightseeing every day, along with everything needed to make coffee. The breakfast buffet was quite expensive here; therefore, we ate breakfast at the Rose Hotel a few blocks away, which was only six pounds for the buffet. The only negative issue regarding this hotel occurred the evening before we checked out. I wanted to pay for our room charges incurred during the week with a credit card, but the card reader did not accept the first pass with the card, so I was asked to put the card through again. Two receipts were generated by the first pass with the card, and the desk clerk gave one to me and he put the other receipt into his coat pocket. When I looked at the receipt which he gave me for that first pass, I saw that it contained my entire credit card number, not just the last four digits as is usual. I asked for his copy of the receipt so that he would not have my entire credit card number, but he refused to give it to me. I thought it was strange that he would pocket my receipt rather than file it away or put it on the desk, so I cancelled my card with my bank in order that no new charges could be made on the card without my authorization. Would I go back to this hotel? Yes, but I would pay cash, rather than use my credit card. This hotel is walking distance to Kensington Palace.

Room Tip: If you are offered a room in the building across the street, and you cannot walk up multiple levels...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback about your stay.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and you found the hotel clean and convenient. Looking forward to welcome you again.

Please let me know If I can be of any assistance with future bookings.

Ankara, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was the worst room I have ever stayed. Small, dark, underground, even difficult to enter the bath. Additionally 24 hour noise of cooling system just next to my window.

Besides, they have charged the full room amount from my credit card twice, and surprisingly reception personnel was not able to correct the problem. I had to write down the problem I exlained for 15 minutes via email in order to solve the problem. I would never ever recommend this hotel, just find another hotel near Paddington.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, prevent underground rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apology for not exceeding to your expectation. Had we known to the fact that you did not like the room, we would have moved your room.

Furthermore, please provide me your full booking details on my email which is vinayak@shaftesburyhotels.com and I would be more than happy investigate the double charges on your card.

Looking forward for your response.

Romsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

A most enjoyable stay.Excellent polite and prompt service from all staff. Lunch was very good, well presented and generous helpings. The hotel was well presented and very clean and provided good value for money for a central London hotel . Have stayed at this hotel previously and would definitely stay again when in London.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Ms Jane,

Dear Ms Jane,

It was a real pleasure to read your review, and your generous comments about our hotel and the service you experienced - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind reviews such as yours are very much appreciated by all of the staff at the hotel - and I hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Been touring the world for the last month and have stayed in lovely hotels in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Rome, and Paris, and now... well London.
Upon check-in, we are escorted across the street to the "other" building. First thing I noticed is there are lots of stairs, no lifts! Okay no worries, we're in room 654, lets see where that is. Looking at the sign on the wall, I notice is in the LG, in other words, the basement. We were taken to the top of the stairs, and guided down a VERY narrow staircase to the lower level, where there was one room to the left in the hall and a door (looked like an exit door in front of us). Our room was through that door, all alone by itself near the emergency exit...absolutely NOT. Completely not the place any hotel would even imagine housing a woman with a teenage girl. It did not look or feel safe at all. Accordingly, I then returned to the lobby where I spoke with the reception desk about our concern...here's where it gets even more interesting. I am told that there are no other rooms available until tomorrow and that if we can take that room until tomorrow they would move us to a higher floor, OR, here's the alternative, we were shown a tiny piece of a room, which literally should be removed from their inventory of rooms and made a storage closet, that we could take until we could be moved. I see. Well, I opted for the latter because it was at least in the main building with a lift and certainly felt much safer for myself and goddaughter, than the basement room. Pictures included.

What makes this even more interesting, I paid for a deluxe twin room. When my goddaughter and I left out for dinner we noticed tons of people still checking in. I returned to the front desk to inquire if all of these people are just now checking in, how is it possible that there was not a better room available for us today? The response was that "all of these people are checking into single rooms" and as such they can accommodate them. I'm not really sure how that is possible, when I know I saw families in the check-in line. Nevertheless, they seemed to all be accommodated, and we were again told that we would be moved "tomorrow".
Now, I have stayed in dozens of hotels and at least 5 in the last 2 weeks all over the world, and none have I been treated so poorly as here. If they could not accommodate my request, then why not offer us the single, more palatable room for the night? Why not ask if I would be interested in an upgrade that I paid for? Why not offer an upgrade, period? Anything? AND...might I mention, not at any time did the hotel offer to reduce my nightly rate for this closet room, or any other type of compensation for the inconvenience.

Consequently, I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone. This was the last stop on our European tour and I am sorely disappointed that this is the last place that my goddaughter and I will experience on what had been a lovely trip. She looked at this room and said ugh!!! Its tiny and it smells. 10 days ago we were in the Emirates Palace, this morning we woke up with a balcony and view of the Eiffel tower, this evening we're in a closet! I figured I would save a few dollars in London and cancelled a duplicate reservation at the Park Grand London Kensington, but I promise, I will follow my first mind from here on out!

Will post update after tomorrow and inform if the room change occurs and whether its any better than this current situation. Because if this room is any representation of the rest of this hotel, I would never suggest anyone who likes a nice, updated room, stay here!

Room Tip: I can only help you avoid a terrible room- 104( the closet) and 653 or 654(alone by the exit) in the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Further to your raised feedback, I am very sorry to find out that our Hotel facilities and services did not meet your expectations.
However, Please be informed that your booking was made through booking.com website and there we have clearly mentioned about the size and type of the rooms. We have neither downgraded your stay nor misrepresented the rooms on websites. We have offered you the room type which you have booked for.
Unfortunately, we were fully booked with Club twin rooms during those days else we would have upgraded your stay. Furthermore, we have offered you another hotel with an upgrade and you agreed to stay in our sister property in one of our club room.
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with future bookings and we will more than happy to assist you making a booking for correct room type.
Many thanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited for a special occasion. We booked a club room which didn't disappoint, it wasn't huge but having done our research first we didn't expect it to be, however it was more than adequate for a nights stop over. Breakfast was plentiful, warm, self-service. What impressed us the most was when we checked in the staff asked us if we were staying for a particular reason and when we explained, on our return that evening, there was a bottle of wine, cake and a card in our room, really lovely touch. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Esteemed Guest

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your fabulous feedback of your recent stay with us on this forum.

The entire team is proud of exceeding your expectations and assure you for continious good work.

We can’t wait to welcome you back again

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!