“Poor welcome - sleepless night” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #526 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Lille, France
“Poor welcome - sleepless night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel is a 5 minute walk from Paddington station. I was greeted by Ivan (a trainee) who took 7 minutes (that's a long time) to check me in. He was so focused on the computer that I had no idea what was taking so long until I asked him. Then he said there was a problem with the printer. I had to give a £10 deposit for 'if I broke anything in the room!' (totally ridiculous) before I was given my key. The hotel is like a rabbit warren and there's no lift - OK to go up as someone will take your case for you but a pain in the butt to go back down again. My double room was OK for just me but where you'd put your cases if there were 2 of you is anyone's guess. The bed was also tiny (2 people? - no chance). The windows are old-fashioned single glazed ones and I heard everything going on outside - cars and buses passing, people walking and talking, car doors slamming, etc. Finally got to sleep at about 3am. Check-out was, unfortunately, also by Ivan and took almost 10 minutes. This time he had to reprint my registration card as they'd lost it from the previous evening and needed to check my signature from the receipt I'd been given for my £10 deposit - a total nightmare. I only know this because I had to ask what was taking so long. Check-out was done in almost total silence and when I was finally given back my £10 I wasn't asked if I'd enjoyed my stay, given a smile, told 'goodbye' - nope, total silence. I was appalled and will not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: There's no lift - if you've got heavy cases, you'll struggle. Even the double room was o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Ms Michelle,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 02077451200.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently spent a few nights at this hotel, although the room was very small everything was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The one thing that really stood out for us was the staff, without exception the staff at this hotel were the friendliest and most helpful that we have ever encountered. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a genuine smile.

The most friendly and welcoming by far that we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm gratified to hear that you enjoyed your stay the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay. It's fantastic to hear such great feedback from our guests, which I will share with the team.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.

Kind Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

While location of the hotel is very good, the room we were allocated was unlike the one featured on the booking website, very small in size, barely fit our two suitcases. TV had disturbances and could not watch the first evening. Double bed was very small, not enough for two persons. After sleepless night the next day we complained and got a better room with twin beds. Pillows were very poor quality and uncomfortable. Staff at the reception and particularly porters were excellent.

Room Tip: Twin beds ensures you will get some sleep.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

A few minutes walk from Paddington station, which takes you directly to Heathrow. A couple of restaurants near by, and easy Access to the city.

The Club room was very nice, and a big room with a very nice bathroom (small, but nice).
The breakfast was good.
Free internet in the room.

Everything was great!

Room Tip: Choose the Club room. You get Access to Your own building With other Club rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to read your review of the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London and all it has to offer. We are very proud of our high level of service and receiving such positive feedback inspires and motivates us to maintain such high standards.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London in the future.
Please do not hesitate to email me on vinayak@shaftesburyhotels.com for future booking.

Kind Regards
Holywood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently returned from a wonderful 4 day stay in the hotel. The staff from the front desk to the girls and boys serving breakfast all have a wonderful positive attitude and are all so helpful. Rooms are clean and the breakfast super. I would really recommend this hotel for buisniess or pleasure.

Ken Herron
November '13

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Ken Herron

Kind Regards,
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Everything about our stay was excellent. The room we were allocated was superb, room 405 club room. The beds (2 doubles) were some of the most comfortable we have slept in. The room was extremely spacious with plenty of storage space and was stylishly decorated.

My one criticism of the room was poor lighting, there was nowhere suitable for applying makeup, I could not get close enough to the mirror in the bathroom because of the sink and there was no light near the mirror over the desk. This was only a small thing but something for the management to consider.

The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries but could have done with a shelf above the sink for toothbrush etc. The under floor heating was a welcome addition.

The service we received from staff was excellent. There was no problem changing the complimentary bottle of wine from white to red and my request for a fan was delt with immediately.

The buffet breakfast was well presented and the quality of the food was again excellent.

I am so pleased we decided to give the hotel another try. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone staying in London.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a club room Recommend room 405
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.
It was a real pleasure to read your review, and your generous comments about our hotel and the service you experienced - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind reviews such as yours are very much appreciated by all of the staff at the hotel - and I hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!