“If You Really...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #516 of 1,054 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“If You Really...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well, you know, if you just landed at Paddington station and, for any mysterious reason, haven't reserved or found an hotel yet, what can I say, get to this hotel, ask for the 4-people room --No, it is NOT too big for you and your companion if any-- spend possibly the night out (no problem for this in London:)), get a couple of beers before going to sleep, and the next day check out....They are nice though --well it figures, otherwise who would set foot in?

Room Tip: Ask for the 4-people room!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.
Unfortunately our standard rooms can sometimes seem small due to the nature of the hotel and it’s design, however we do have larger doubles and studio suites available that I’m certain you would find much more comfortable.
Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused to you and we hope to have a welcoming back to you to our property in near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me on 02077451200.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Neston, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here one night on business. I wanted to stay close to Paddington Station as my conference venue was nearby. The hotel was on a reasonably quiet street although a road closure for gas works on the cross street may have made it quieter than usual.

I went out in search of local restaurants for my evening meal and was very disappointed with what I could find. I spent a good 30 mins walking in all directions and only found a couple of side streets where there was a limited choice of restaurants - mainly Italian for some reason.

The hotel has a slightly quirky layout with the main hotel stairs/ lifts on the other side of the hotel from the reception desk. This meant guests were trundling suitcases through the ground floor bar.

I was allocated a various spacious top floor club room with twin double beds (I'd booked a single room via a booking agency so this was a significant improvement on what I was expecting). Lots of attention to detail and complementary products including fresh fruit and water and loads of bathroom products. The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep.

On the negative side: (i) the heating didn't work and it took a few calls to get this sorted out in the form of two electric heaters which warmed the room up fine; and (ii) the bathroom was a triumph of style over functionality - there was tiny free standing bowl for a washbasin and absolutely no shelf space for your own toiletries and either side of the mirror over the washbasin were two faux torches for lights which got in the way and gave poor light when you got close to the mirror to shave.

Breakfast was served in a small basement room and was mainly self-service although eggs could be cooked to order. The coffee was pretty disappointing.

Dear Guest,

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 02077451200.

india
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Pluses (+)
Free wi-fi was a relief. Tea coffee maker in room was also a plus. They were really generous in keeping the tea,coffee,sugar satchets. Very clean modern rooms and bathrooms but terribly small.
Minuses (-)
Rooms are like prison cells !! 6ft x 16ft which includes bathroom area. That means the room was hardly 6ft x 10 ft. With a wide bed you could hardly move without hurting yourself. If the room was so small they should have smaller bed and chairs to give some space. Besides the almirah should have sliding doors, because once you open the door there is no space at all. Bathroom was like nothing I have seen in ANY HOTEL , SO SMALL . In the toilet seat one had to sit at 45 degrees angle lest the knees hit the door. Toileteries were in abundance and good quality. If only they could make the room at least 2 ft wider things could change a lot ! Rates were not cheap at nearly GBP 95=00 without breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid staying in this property ! If at all you have no choice try asking for rooms facing the front...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Please do not hesitate to contact me on 02077451200.

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington hotel during our anniversary trip to London. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. We stayed in a club room at the back of the hotel. It didn't have a great view, but it was large, clean and quiet. The bathroom was very clean and modern, but it didn't have a bathtub. However, the shower was very nice. We stayed for nine days, so our large and quiet room was perfect. It had everything we needed: a room safe, microwave oven, refrigerator, nice TV, and a very comfortable bed. The location of the hotel is perfect. Definitely take the Heathrow Express from the airport to Paddington Station (a direct 15-minute trip). It only takes 10 minutes to walk to the hotel from Paddington Station. We liked the fact that the hotel is close to Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park and many major tourist attractions. We chose to eat breakfast at cafes in the area. Make sure you reserve a club room if you are staying for more than a couple of days. You won't regret it. I would gladly recommend this hotel to other travellers.

Room Tip: Reserve a club room, but don't choose a room near the elevator. There are large and small club...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Mr. Dennis G,

It was a great pleasure to read your review of the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London and all it has to offer. We are very proud of our high level of service and receiving such positive feedback inspires and motivates us to maintain such high standards.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London in the future.
Please do not hesitate to email me on vinayak@shaftesburyhotels.com for future booking.

Kind Regards
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

we have travelled as a family ,and we stayed in best western shaftesbury paddington hotel. The hotel is fantastic . it is clean quite and you will find any thing that you may need.there are alot of resturants around the hotel where you can have a tasety arabian,indian or italian food.and it is just a five minutes walk from london main sightings.I strongly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: rooms on the 4th floor are better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I'm gratified to hear that you enjoyed your stay the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay. It's fantastic to hear such great feedback from our guests, which I will share with the team.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.

Kind Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We opted to stay here because of its proximity to Paddington Station (it made using the Heathrow Express much easier). I must admit, a 10 minute walk feels a lot longer when you have flown in from Australia, are lugging a suitcase and it starts to rain! But the hotel is quite close and it has one of the "Boris's Bikes" stands right out the front.
Prior to arriving, a member of our travelling party passed away and we needed to make changes to our reservation. Not only were the changes made by the Manager without a fuss, but he greeted us when we arrived, just to make sure that we were OK.
We had two Standard Club Rooms on the 4th floor - rooms 405 and 406 - both with two single beds. I'll focus on 406, because that was the room I was in.
It was located next to the elevator - although I rarely noticed any noise - and had a view over Compton Street. The room looks lovely but it is a little bit small when you have two chairs and a small desk, then try to add two suitcases.
The room also has a fridge, microwave, ironing board (but no sign of an iron), a hairdryer (connected to the desk for some reason) and a large flat screen TV.
The bathroom is small and doesn't offer a lot of storage/shelf space. Plus ther is no real shower screen, so everything gets wet when you use the shower. However, if you use the bath instead, it's fine.
As we had a Club room, we had a complimentary fruit basket, soft drinks, newspapers, pistachios & cashews, tea & coffee, a bottle of wine and WiFi. All very nice.
Unfortunately, when I was booking accommodation 12 months earlier, the Best Western website indicated that the hotel had a guest laundry (a priority for us). I'm not sure if they removed the guest laundry, but it was certainly not there when we arrived - and had been removed from the website. There were laundromats nearby, so we were able to work around it.
We had one dinner at the hotel, in the Lounge. It was OK, but it is not designed as a dining room, so don't set your expectations high.
The breakfast room is quite large, although the tables are close together. The food is kept well stocked and could be described as a standard English breakfast (eggs, bacon, tomato, sausages, baked beans, toast, cereals, yoghurt, fruit, tea/coffee & juices).
Aside from a fire alarm going off at 2am (false alarm), I enjoyed my stay. And whilst I would prefer a hotel with a guest laundry, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court to my family and friends.

Room Tip: If you are able to afford it, go for a Club room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure to read your review, and your generous comments about our hotel and the service you experienced - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind reviews such as yours are very much appreciated by all of the staff at the hotel - and I hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Having used Best Western Hotels throughout the Country on many occasions, I booked to stay here for one night while in London. Although 'bijou' my room was exceptionally well equiped and ideal for a longer stay, with a microwave, fridge, sink etc. The showere room was modern and spotlessly clean and the bedroom and shower room had seperate (quiet) air conditioning.The staff were welcoming and pleasantly efficient. The full English breakfast was very good indeed, with appropriate choices with freshly cooked items on the buffet. I would certainly use again and recommend to others for a relatively inexpensive stay with guaranteed high standards

Room Tip: Small but quiet rooms in a busy part of London. ideally placed for Paddington Station (0.3 miles)
Dear Mr. Chris Caine,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02077451200.

Thank you again for taking the time to write the review.

Hotel Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!