“NEVER AGAIN” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #526 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Brighton
“NEVER AGAIN”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a single night on 22 January 2013. I booked a double room for a single person. The room turned out to be in the basement of the annexe. The room was very cold and the floor was tiled - ok for the Mediterranean but not the UK in January. I couldn't get the airflow heating to blow warm air though the control claimed it was heating the room to 30 degrees. They must know its a problem because there was a plug-in oil filled radiator in the corner. I got a member of staff to help with heating and, when that didn't work, got myself moved. So far I had been in the hotel 40 minutes and hadn't been able to take my coat off. I was eventually moved to a ground floor room. It was marginally warmer that the basement fridge but I couldn't get the heating to blow really warm air though the control, which again read 30 degrees. TV didn't work properly, with muffled sound, so no entertainment. I had to sleep with socks on and my coat over the duvet. Any part of my body not under the warm water flow felt very cold in the shower though I left the heating on in there, full blast, overnight. I asked reception to order me a taxi and they got me a private hire car. The trip to Victoria from Paddington cost £17, which is outrageous. I couldn't argue as I had no idea where he had come from and was in a great hurry. The driver told me he gets a lot of complaints about that hotel so I assume he does business with them a lot. I really hated this hotel though I will say that the staff were polite. Lukewarm coffee at breakfast.

Room Tip: I tried rooms on two different floors and they were both uncomfortably cold. avoid altogether in win...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apology for the inconvenience caused to you at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.

I would request you to provide me your full details in order to investigate the matter in depth. Please contact me on vinayak@shaftesburyhotels.com

Vinayak Girgune

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I go to London on business on a regular basis and I need to be located nearby Paddington.
I have been going to the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court for about a year and I recommend this hotel because it is affordable and very clean.
Walking distance from Paddington station and Lancaster Gate tube station, this hotel is quiet and the staff is friendly.
Only negative point is the electric plug for the shaver that usually doesn't work (same issue in many rooms). But this detail should keep you from visiting this hotel.

Room Tip: When booking, select a Club Room. Slightly more expensive, but more comfy and larger.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Whitesmith,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We have already informed our maintenance team about the the electric plug problem. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us at 02077451200.

Adelaide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on our last night in London before moving back to Australia (we had been living in London for the last 2 1/2 years).

We were given a room on the ground floor as we had a lot of luggage. The room was an ok size - we could just fit all our luggage. The bathroom was also ok. Overall the room was ok.

Now let me get on to the really bad bits... We went out to dinner with our friends for our last night in London. We returned to the hotel at 11pm and entered our room. On the desk was a birthday cake with a bite taken out of it and some hair pins and hair ties next to it. These were not ours!!! We go to the reception and complained. The attendant at reception came in to the room and at first wouldn't believe that the cake and hair ties weren't ours!!! We were not happy. He finally understood/believed us and took them away. We obviously didn't want to stay in that room but were told they were fully booked but the hotel down the road had rooms. The hotel down the road turned out to be a budget hotel currently in renovation with no air conditioning and very, very hot! So in the end we begrudgingly stayed in our existing room.

The handling of the situation was not good. We were told the Night Supervisor was on the way and would look at the video footage from security cameras but when the Night Supervisor was called (who was apparently at the hotel down the road), he mysteriously couldn't come over to our hotel and wasn't able to review the footage. We were then told that we would have to wait until 10am for another Supervisor to go through the footage and speak to us. We informed the reception staff that we had to leave by 9am to catch a flight so that would not be possible. We were then told that the Supervisor would review the footage and speak to us at 8:30am.

In the morning at 8:30am, the Supervisor was unavailable. We were offered free breakfast, ate that and came back at 8:50am. We had to wait for 10-15 mins for the Supervisor who was then completely uninformed about what happened. Once we explained the situation he questioned the believability of our story insisting multiple times that perhaps the cake had been ours!!! We were astounded!!! When we got angry and insisted we were told the footage would be reviewed and we would be emailed.

So, our room was broken in to, our privacy was violated, things were left in our room, we were not believed by staff and the only compensation we received was a free breakfast!

We did receive an email back from the hotel to say that there were no cameras in that corridor. They offered us a free upgrade the next time we stay - we will not be using this upgrade as we will never stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: Don't book a room at this hotel!!!

Vinayak Girgune
Barnsley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We got a great rate for this hotel, there was complimentary wine, water, fizzy drinks and a fruit bowl. The room was in the basement it was clean and comfortable and the housekeeping staff were helpful when asked for anything. The only downside was the sound of the fridge in the room but by the second night it wasn't that noticable. The hotel is in a good place for transport into the centre, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London and for sharing your feedback about your stay.I am gratified that you liked our services and i'll make sure all your comments will be shared with the team.

Please accept our apologies for the noisy fridge in your room, it would be highly appreciated if you could email us the details of your booking on grm@paddingtoncourt.com to rectify the issue.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to London in the future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently booked at the Best Western Shaftesbury, Paddington Court. Unfortunately I received a mail from reservations saying that they were over booked and they had moved me to Best Western Heathrow. For those of you that know London, this is some distance away. However because of short notice, I had no option but to accept the option. That is the bad news. From here on in, I have nothing but admiration for the way in which the staff looked after me. They asked me to check in as usual at Best Western Shaftesbury, they then provided a cab to take me to Best Western Heathrow, I was provided dinner on arrival and they also provided a cab to get me back to London in the morning on time. The hassle of the over booking issue was completely removed by the excellent response of the Best Western team. They turned a potentially poor experience into a rewarding one, and this review is my thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court in London.

I understand that this might have not been the ideal location for you, but i can assure you that all the arrangements were made with the best of intentions in order to compensate for the inconveniences.

Thank you for appreciating our efforts and we look forward to welcoming you back in London.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is in a good location being just a few minutes from Lancaster gate tube. We stayed in a club room which was a good size and had an immaculate bathroom. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We had breakfast on both mornings which was very good. We look forward to staying at this hotel again in the near future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact on grm@paddingtoncourt.com.

Warm Regards,
futuremrsstorey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is the second time my fiancé and I have stayed at this hotel and both times we've been happy with our stay. The first time we stayed in one of the suites due to a mix up with the booking so a free upgrade was given. It was a lovely basement room with ample space and the most amazing waterfall shower. This most recent stay was in a standard room which is obviously going to be different. The room was small but very clean, smart and had a comfy bed with tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom was tiny but again, clean smart and we managed to use it no problem during our 2 night stay. The shower cubicle was perhaps too small but I can't see a way that this can be improved on as it fits in with the size of the bathroom. I'm a petite 5'1" lady and struggled to manoeuvre in the shower so not sure how my fiancé managed it. Saying that the shower was powerful and heat controlled easily. It was fine for 2 nights but I'd possibly struggle with any more. There were plenty of toiletries available in the bathroom even though we didn't need them - always handy. The staff were very pleasant and couldn't do enough for us or any other guests that we saw at reception. All in all we had a great time and only used the room for sleeping and washing so didn't spend too much time analysing everything.

Room Tip: I'd definitely go for a suite in future.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.
We are glad that you liked our services.

Unfortunately our standard rooms can sometimes seem small due to the nature of the hotel and it’s design, however we do have larger doubles and studio suites available that I’m certain you would find much more comfortable.

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused to you and we hope to have a welcoming back to you to our property in near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me on 02077451200.

Mihaela Carp

Been to BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London? Share your experiences!