“Just what we needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Devonshire Terrace | Paddington, London W2 3DP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #513 of 1,073 hotels in London
“Just what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

What i needed was 3 rooms for 6 people on new years. What we got was a well accomadating hotel, clean rooms, breakfast in a location about a half mile from the tube, a few resturants and quick stop stores.. We were greated by 3 well dressed staff members and check in was quick with hotel information and wifi password provided. The rooms were small but clean and fitted with everything we needed....drinks, snacks and a welcome message on the TV. Large and small pillows and an OK bed. The bathroom was large but the shower shield was small so the floors got wet...nothing an extra towel didn't cure. The breakfast had fruits, breads, pastries, cold cuts, cheese, juices, yogurt and the complements for a full english breakfast. Coffee was hot and strong.

I was skeptical after reading other post but for this visit we did not encounter the staff that others complained about. Traveling throughout Europe for many years, we knew what to expect of the rooms sizes but we were pleased with our rooms and the hotel. We would stay here again

• Stayed December 2012
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us at 02077451200.

1,739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We (myself, my mum and sister) were initially booked in at another Shaftsbury hotel, but were moved to the Paddington after we complained (repeatedly) about the ridiculously loud noise that sounded like it was coming from the room above. Based on the comments here, it was probably the air con system, but sounded like an industrial washing machine stuck on its spin cycle!

So far, so bad... but it got worse. We arrived at the new hotel, and at reception was a woman demanding to be moved because she was experiencing the same problem as we had just had! After booking in, we were sent to our room which was actually in another building across the road. Our room had one double bed, clearly not what we had booked for 3 of us! After complaining, my mum was told she would have to go to another hotel. We were on a weekend away as an early Christmas treat so obviously did not want to be staying at different hotels! In the end, she ended up in a tiny single room, which was freezing, and in a different building to us (but technically the same hotel).

I should say that all the rooms that we had the displeasure to stay in were actually decorated to quite a nice standard. However they were not very clean. My mum's room had sweet wrappers on the bed, and our bin had not been emptied- there were condom wrappers in the bin! Worse though, were the bed bugs which we discovered on our second evening and again the following morning. Disgusting, and not something I have ever experienced in a hotel (and I have stayed at much cheaper hotels).

They also tried to charge us for breakfast, which should have been included in the price. When we questioned this, we were told it was not included, but was complimentary because of the inconvenience caused. Breakfast was actually quite nice, but there was a long queue each morning as the dining room clearly could not cope with the number of people at the hotel.

All in all, a terrible experience! Some of the issues were clearly beyond the control of staff, and I could perhaps excuse some of the problems if they had been dealt with in a professional manner, but the staff were terrible: rude, incompetent and unhelpful. No customer service skills whatsoever, but for that I'd blame management not the individual staff. Having read the reviews here, it seems that the problems we experienced were clearly not one-off occurrences!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington court for your recent visit to London. We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely & profusely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during the stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on vinayak@shaftesburyhotels.com as per your earliest convenience.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & Kindly provide me your booking details in order to investigate the matter in depth.

Thank you very much & looking forward to your positive response as per your earliest convenience.

Kind Regards,

Vinayak Girgune
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for two nights with my OH on the 22nd of December to the 24th just to spend a christmassy weekend away because we love London at Christmas.

The hotel is easy to find, if you're arriving via train it's a very short walk from paddington train station or a short walk from tube stations/bus stops. The location is perfect, you can walk to Oxford street and Hyde park, there's a few shops, restaurants and pubs just outside the hotel too but overall you have very simple access to anywhere in London especially all the main tourist attractions from the hotel.

When we arrived check in was smooth, all the receptionists are lovely and extremely helpful, they printed out our winter wonderland tickets for us no bother. The lobby is nothing special or grand though.

The rooms are perfect. They're long but narrow so don't have much space width wise but I don't see the issue with that. There is plenty of wardrobe and drawer apace, a safe and all the essentials like a hair drier and coffee facilities. The beds are comfy, no complaints there.
The bathrooms are very small but bareable with a powerful shower.

My only complaint about the rooms is the thin walls, you can hear people in the next room having a normal toned conversation and people upstairs moving about.

If you're not a serial moaner and look for things to complain about you will definitely be happy with this hotel, we expected less than what we experienced with the price.

• Stayed December 2012
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review about your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and all your suggestions will be taken o board in order to offer a better experience to all our guests. Some of our standard rooms can appear small due to building nature and it's design but we have club rooms that i believe you will find more spacious. Please don't hesitate to contact us on grm@paddingtoncourt.com .

We look forward to welcoming you back at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court in London.

Warm Regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We arrived on NYE and as soon as we walked in i was excited it looked lovely. Soon came the dissapointment, the staff were rude, made us feel uncomfortable and by the look of things made others feel this way too!
We got told whilst trying to check in (with grunts on their behalf) that their was maintenance issues so we were being transfered to a 5* hotel, 30 minutes away, anyone would think this wasnt too bad, we were being moved from hyde park to islington! We had planned our stay around the location of the hotel, and whilst trying to explain this to the staff, whose english wasnt exactly..amazing, i was just talked over! We ended up staying in the other hotel and to be honest i was glad.. untill i arrived!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PaddingtonCourt, Manager at BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apology for the inconvenience caused to you at the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.

I would request you to provide me your full details in order to investigate the matter in depth. Please contact me on vinayak@shaftesburyhotels.com

Vinayak Girgune
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have been a regular at this hotel for a number of years due to its proximate location to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens, the tubes at Paddington, and clean and quiet room. The hotel has been renovated and upgraded both in its lobby ambience and the quality of the rooms. This past visit was particularly enjoyable due to the helpfulness of the staff and an excellent breakfast arrangement.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I'm gratified to hear that you enjoyed your stay the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London.Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay. It's fantastic to hear such great feedback from our guests, which I will share with the team.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.

Kind Regards,
Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was here for the World Travel Market (WTM) in Nov 2012 so I stayed just few hours in the hotel. Just for sleep and someday for dinner.
The frontdesk was very very helpful, that was what I expected for this kind of hotel.
I booked a Superior room but if you check my photos you will see what is a superior room.
The room was not incredible but I could rest and stayed there without any kind of noise. The temperature was excellent.
Free w-lan and wifi in the hotel, that is a very good thing! and it works very well. In the room you have an internet plug for your personal computer.

My bad points: I wanted to dinner at 21:15. I spoke with the girl at the bar, she told me that she must speak with the cook, she called him and about 2 minutes later she told me that the kitchen was closed because the cook must go. I told her that it was 21:20 and the kitchen closes at 21:30, she didn't know what to tell me. That was very rude because i was very tired because of the WTM.
And in the breakfast room I was waiting for years to be seated, and people was jumping the queue, nobody ask me if i want coffee or something and If stand up somebody cleared my table and sit there another person! that's not good!
That was because the hotel was fully booked, all of us were there for the WTM, so this coul be only if the hotel is fully booked.

In spite of everythign, the House Manager, Vinayak Girgune, solved all my troubles and attended me in everything I need after I filled the complaint form.

I recommend this hotel if you want to stay very very near of Paddington, and if you are not going to stay long times inside of your roos.

If I go back to London, maybe I will stay here again.

Room Tip: 409 and 133 are small rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It’s a great pleasure to read about your experience in Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.

Thank you for your appreciation for our front office staff, I will share it with the team on our next staff meeting. Regarding the inconvenience caused to you during breakfast and dinner, I do apologise and we will take in consideration all the points raised by you in order to ensure a better experience in the future for all our guests.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court London in the future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Well, having been to London for the first time, I didn't know what to expect.

I have read reviews about this hotel, and to be honest, I was a little worried. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay.

The check-in process was smooth and I was allowed to do so early - nice! The staff was pleasant; although most of them weren't fluent in English (not really a problem).
My room was (as expected) small, so I made the best of it. I have to say that the shower stall was very, very tight! Getting into and out of the stall was a chore. Other than that, I have to say that the room was rather clean and tidy.
The noise level was more than I would have liked as you can hear doors slamming shut and peoples' footfalls as they pass your door.

The thing I liked most about the hotel was that it was very close to Paddington Station. Further, there were plenty of decent restaurants and stores which were open late.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at our venue, and I can assure you that every review inspires and motivates us in maintaining high level of service.

Our standard double rooms seem to be small due to building nature and its design however we do have larger doubles and club rooms that I’m certain you would find more comfortable.

Thank you again, and perhaps you would allow us a second chance to serve you.

Regards,