“Terrible experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #643 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I normally stay at this hotel for business. When I booked in there was no hot water. We were told by management that it would be fixed next day unfortunately it was not fixed during my stay. I was staying for 4 nights and on the Tuesday of my stay they transferred me to their apartments. The service was not good and I would not stay again in this hotel. Many other guests had appeared to have the same problems.

Room Tip: Forget it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Customer S, Customer Care at Commodore Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on board. We had major issue with our boilers and due to this, there was no hot water in the main building.

Please, accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. I can assure you that all points have been shared with respective departments.

Warm Regards,
Customer Care Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The commodore is a great location booked as a Christmas present and found it ideal for theatre and tourist attractions,but the rooms are a bit tired looking but comfortable enough bed, the breakfast was bland. Upon arrival people where checking out and asking for the hotel to pay for a taxi to another hotel which should have been a warning.
When we tried to have a shower we found no hot water when I returned to reception I was informed there was a problem with the boiler, I asked why we where not told on arrival the receptionist shrugged and said it may be fixed the next day and he could do nothing (at this point another guest cancelled her check-in and left). We had a meal booked that evening so I suggested maybe we could use another room, I returned to our room and5minutes later received a call to say a shower was available 2 floors above our room. The problem remained the next day so we again had to use the spare room before going the theatre. I know the boiler situation cannot be helped but surely we should have been informed.
On checking out we raised the fact that we had been inconvenienced 2out of 3 nights and was offered 20%of our first night only! not really good enough.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and we value your feedback, We have noted the points mentioned below and will definitely look into it. We had issues with the boiler on the day and it take us a while to replace it into a complete new set of boilers.

On behalf of my team, I apologise for the inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm Regards,
Customer Care Team
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I spent 3 days of my life in this very bad hotel (19-22 Jan 3014). No hot water, only very cold, bad WC, poor breakfast (in the first day, the bread was as a rock), very bad and noisy room (6th floor). It is an engine somewhere (down) and was working all the nights (stop & run-crazy). We couldn't sleep. All the furniture bad and uncleaned, dust in the corners, bad carpets. At the second looking you will see what I mean. Warning! Don't pay up front, only after, so, you have a chance to claim something. I didn't know this and they took all the money, without even some excuses for this super Bad (minus)4 stars hotel. I will never return here and I will warn on several sites about this unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Take another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We Stayed for 1 week towards end of December and It was lovely, We arrived so early for check in and our rooms were not ready, Front office staff offered to Safe keep our bags till check in time which was so conveneint for us to start exploring around till check in time .When we checked in to our room we found out that it is full of cigarettes smell covered by air fresheners despite that we requested for a non-smoking room, We were moved to another room immediately after complaining. The new room was clean, practical and average in size compared to London and Europe standards, bathroom was clean, Heating was ok and room view was on the back yard . Breakfast is served in the basement level and it was fine but not abundant just adequate with fresh components. Reception and Tea Salon are fabulous and the Victorian style is well preserved. Hotel does not serve alcoholic drink and this is well displayed in reception as well as on website, No reason for this However, this could be a plus for conservative Arab and Moslem guests. In-room WIFI is provided at a fee 12 pound a week and could be used for one device only. There are two operating tiny Elevators. Location of the Hotel is quite and perfect for exploring , it is near Lancaster Gate and Paddington tube stations and within walking distance from Queensway and Bayswater stations. Lots of restaurants exchanges, souvenirs shops and supermarkets on Queensway street many of them are serving halal food. Overall the hotel is offering a good value for money and convenient location.

Room Tip: If you are not smoker , Insisit on non smoking room and higher floor rooms are better than basement...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed at Commodore Hotel for two nights in a single room.

On the first night I started the airconditioning which worked well, but sprayed large pieces of dust/dirt from the blower on the bed and on the floor.
Prior to this the room was piping hot.

I cleared the blanket of dust and went to bed. About 40 minutes later a number of bedbugs were crawling all over the bed.
Immediately I went to the reception to report, it was now half past one in the morning.

A new room was given in the other section of the hotel.
The bathroom was cramped and I had trouble finding back from the room to reception.

Breakfast in the morning was continental. I asked for English breakfast at an additional price of £ 9.95.
After waiting for the eggs and bacon for thirty minutes I got tired of waiting and left the breakfast room.

Wifi had poor coverage (I got to try both sections of the hotel) and was an extra cost of £ 6.

On checkout I asked for some kind of compensation for the inconvenience of crawling bedbugs and change of room.
The receptionist said this was not possible.

The hotel tries to look good on their homepage and in the reception area, but you really should stear clear of this hotel. Location is good though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I cannot fault the hotel. the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean, with good décor and very comfortable. The area was quiet which meant we had a good nights sleep. We had a lovely stay and will be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: We found that we could not plug our phones in to recharge as the plugs in the rooms had round pins a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as it was close to hyde park. Was looking forward to it giving as its 4*! Well the room we got given was more of a b&b style. With paint touch ups visible and in some areas it needed a touch up. Hair left in the bath from previous guests. And just a few other minor issues which doesn't make this a 4* hotel. Oh and we got charged twice for the pleasure. Still waiting to receive my refund and apology. Emailed the general manager but no response as of yet. No apology, no compensation no NOTHING!!? Shame. As myself and my son had a fantastic time in London.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!