“Americana excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Hotel

Save Saved
You added Americana Hotel to your Saves list
Americana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 Gloucester Place | Regents Park, London NW2 6DS, England   |
Ranked #671 of 1,055 Hotels in London
England
“Americana excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights 7-8th June, pleasant helpful friendly staff, lovely continental breakfast, hot drinks machine 24-7 (although broken Sat pm with no alternative ie a kettle so had to do without) Lovely clean bedding and towels, Hot water plentiful. The small rooms didn't bother us as we only used Hotel as a base. but I have to say I agree with other reviews, this hotel is in need of refurbishment. Its such a shame as it has so many good qualities, but the shabby dirty carpets and it being in need of decorating, plus mold in the show units do let it down. So come on Americana get decorating and have a dark color carpet laid - you will soon get top ratings

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this room because of the location and the good reviews. We arrived late at night and this room was the only one that was free. We had not been told we would get a queen size bed but had expected a normal double bed. I travelled with a friend and we are no couple, so that was very embarrassing. The room seemed to have been prepared for one person only - one blanket, two pillows at least, only one large and one small towel. The nightclerk organized a second blanket when asked to, but was not very pleased to do so. The room was very cold and the heating did not work. The TV did not work either. Both were not repaired even the next day. The walls were dirty. Room, bed and shower were very tiny. The shower, however, was rather new and ok. WiFi worked most of the time. There was hardly any noise from the street but from other rooms. Breakfast was really sufficient, with free coffee and tea the whole day. The personnell was friendly.
I booked this hotel for a different time span first. My credit card was charged immediately. Even though I cancelled the very same day, I had to wait for almost two months to get the refund. And even for this, I had to intervene several times. This was rather poor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Island of Malta, Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Have stayed twice at this hotel now - both times purely for location, and for that, almost (ALMOST) worth the price! The staff are friendly and polite, no complaints there. The rooms are small, almost verging on tiny, quite clean though not overly comfortable. First time I went the room stank of cigarettes, but the staff quickly changed my room when I complained. Breakfast is not bad, with cereal, toast, ham etc but on the other hand there's a free coffee/hot chocolate machine which you can use 24/7. A charming detail is the old-style lift.

In short; the Americana is not a bad place to stay if you need to stay in central London, but don't expect anything special.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Fantastic four night stay at this hotel! We couldn't believe how great the location was, and direct buses to key attraction sites of London! It's a quiet but very central area. We booked through Travel Republic and managed to get it much cheaper than other sites.
The hotel was very clean and cosy. Our room boasted a (free) safety deposit box, hairdryer, shampoo, and shower gel. Staff VERY friendly, after checking out, they said we were welcome to leave our bags without charge, come back to freshen up, and help ourselves to free coffee/tea (the machine is free for guests to use 24/7). There's a lift (a lovely old-fashioned one!) and free Wifi.
Overall a great stay, just what we were looking for. Will be back and will recommend it to all our friends!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A very tired hotel with tiny rooms. They only serve a cold continental style breakfast so don't expect a good old full English, just cereals & toast etc.
All staff were pleasant enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was relieved to find a hotel in this location on short notice, still paying London rates but not as audaciously as other brand names in the area. The rating and (most) reviews gave cause for optimism.

Upon checking in I had to carry my bags up a flight of stairs as the elevator stops at the 3rd floor. Fine, it's London - small rooms etc are the norm although this felt almost Parisian with the do-it-yourself double sliding doors to fit into the tiny elevator.

Unfortunately my room was not even close to acceptable. I would have been better off in a hostel to be quite honest, and Ive stayed in many a lot more presentable than this. My room was absolutely freezing - I kept my coat and scarf on for around 30 minutes, while I checked that the windows were closed and the heating was on max. It was. I got so cold in the room, combined with the completely shabby look (see pictures) that I decided to pay for another hotel on the same night. Ive never done this before but I knew I would never sleep properly in a room like this. Possibly the most negative experience Ive had in a hotel to date (and I travel a lot).

The owner offered me another room but having already seen a glimpse of another I politely declined as I'd had enough, and walked to the tube to travel further out to another hotel. Expensive night but at least I slept ok in the end. Having done quite a bit of research I have to say the price didn't reflect the quality at all; if it had appeared as a very low-budget option I would have been less surprised. However it is listed as a 3-star option on various booking websites.

I have no idea if the other floors are in better condition; the lobby was basic but seemed absolutely fine, so perhaps you can be luckier than I was.

Overall I'm sorry to write such a negative review about someone's business, but clearly the owner needs to ensure the entire hotel is kept at some form of minimum standard. I've never written a review like this before, as I normally wonder about reviews I see with such low ratings. I think in this case its entirely justified. Hope they get their act together in the near future.

Room Tip: Cannot understand the positive reviews, so presumably do not accept a room on the 4th floor, not lea...